Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Playing with jets and spacers (Read 110 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Playing with jets and spacers
07/09/09 at 18:45:33

Random set of questions.

The stock white spacer on a '07 is about 2.8mm think, correct? (I'm attempting to determine if the previous owner changed the spacer.)

0.055 pilot jets have bleed holes? (There's no 0.055 without bleed holes?)

I noticed something odd today.

In the morning (about 60 degrees Fahrenheit) I started with the choke out one notch. It idled pretty smoothly, with only the occasional stutter. After it warmed up and I pushed the choke in, it still idled fine.

This afternoon (about 75 degrees Fahrenheit) I started with the choke out one notch. It idled horribly rough, stumbling all over the place. After it warmed up and I pushed the choke in, it idled fine.

I'm sure that means something, but I have no idea what.

With Dyna muffler...

Original jetting: 55 (1 turn out)/stock spacer/155
mpg: 52-55

New jetting: 55 (1 turn out)/no spacer/152.5
mpg: 40-43

Well, it fixed the lean mid throttle issue. Perhaps too well.

I'm definite putting some spacer back in (1/4-1/2 of stock). I'm not sure if I should go down a size on the pilot jet. Suggestions?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Playing with jets and spacers
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 07:14:45

yep

try no choke

1/2 spacer

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/10/09 at 07:26:29

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 07/09/09 at 18:45:33:
In the morning (about 60 degrees Fahrenheit) I started with the choke out one notch. It idled pretty smoothly, with only the occasional stutter. After it warmed up and I pushed the choke in, it still idled fine.

This afternoon (about 75 degrees Fahrenheit) I started with the choke out one notch. It idled horribly rough, stumbling all over the place. After it warmed up and I pushed the choke in, it idled fine.

I'm sure that means something, but I have no idea what.

Working fine when 60 degrees, but misbehaving under the same conditions at 75 degrees - as long as the conditions like humidity and air filter and flow, and ambient air pressure and composition etc etc are the same - and believe me its only 15 degrees we are taking about so the rest has to be identical between the first and second trials - means it is rich. Its a shade rich. However I will not do anythign too drastic. You jet the bike to run on the coldest day of the year in your location. Yes painful time to be lying under the bike, or handling gasoline or carb cleaner ... brrrrr ... but jet it to run right on the coldest day of the year, and see if it does not misbehave too much when it is warm. Anyway, you can turn the air screw in ~1/8 tirn. It may cover your situation with room to spare.

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 07/09/09 at 18:45:33:
With Dyna muffler...

Original jetting: 55 (1 turn out)/stock spacer/155
mpg: 52-55

New jetting: 55 (1 turn out)/no spacer/152.5
mpg: 40-43

Well, it fixed the lean mid throttle issue. Perhaps too well.

I'm definite putting some spacer back in (1/4-1/2 of stock). I'm not sure if I should go down a size on the pilot jet. Suggestions?

-D. Dwarf

I'd run the jetting that does better on gas mileage as long as you dont lean surge @ part throttle on the coldest day of the year.
So you run it for now, but in winter you need to test run it and check for lean surging between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. A lack of a tachometer does not affect your ability to jet it right, In fact it helps you jet it via throttle position which is what determines what jet you are using, and not confuse people by saying 3500 rpm ... so is that 3500 rpm revving in your driveway @ neutral, or in 6th gear doing 40 ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 07/10/09 at 18:50:38

It was 85 today. Started it with no choke. Idle sounded a little slow at first, but picked up.

I know it won't start without choke when it's 60 out.

2 washers are a bit over 1/3 a spacer. (36%)
3 washers are a bit over 1/2 a spacer. (54%)

I guess I'll start with 3, as suggested. Hopefully, I'll have time this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 07/10/09 at 19:01:29

Mine acts the same at those temps. However I ALWAYS start it up with no throttle and if it's not clod enough for the choke I keep the throttle at 1500rpm ubtil the cylinder gets at least hand warm and the I put it in gear and drive off. I do that to give the oil a ltlle time to circulate enough. in winter with the choke applied I also wait for it to get hand warm, which of course takes a little longer.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 07/12/09 at 17:53:38

Installed 3 - #4 stainless flat washers. Roughly 1.5 mm total.

She runs great.
In fact, if I didn't doubt my own experience I'd say she pulls better now than without the spacer.

55 pilot (1 turn out) / 1.5 mm spacer / 152.5 main

I'll ride for a couple tanks and check the mileage. Here's hoping for 50+.

Thanks.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Playing with jets and spacers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.