Clutchless shifting... (Read 269 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutchless shifting...
07/09/09 at 13:53:16

Learn how.

I've read about it before and just thought "psh. I wont have to do that. I keep those things in check for that very reason." Well...within the past week or two since i last checked my cable had gone severely frayed. I pull up to work and as I dismount I notice there's an awful lot of slack in the lever. Only 2 wires out of the 6 or 8 or however many that make up the cable were still connected. It didn't actually snap but I didn't trust it not to so my ride home was mostly clutchless. Not as difficult as I had thought. Not fun but it got me home.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Clutchless shifting...
Reply #1 - 07/09/09 at 14:04:19

BurnPgh wrote on 07/09/09 at 13:53:16:
Learn how.

I've read about it before and just thought "psh. I wont have to do that. I keep those things in check for that very reason." Well...within the past week or two since i last checked my cable had gone severely frayed. I pull up to work and as I dismount I notice there's an awful lot of slack in the lever. Only 2 wires out of the 6 or 8 or however many that make up the cable were still connected. It didn't actually snap but I didn't trust it not to so my ride home was mostly clutchless. Not as difficult as I had thought. Not fun but it got me home.

Other than the initial start it is not difficult with a little practice on the technique.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/09/09 at 15:40:27

You think that was fun?
Try push starting w/o a clutch, man that's fun.   Shocked

My clutch cam gave out on the freeway, I pulled over to check it out.
Was it the cable? nope  cam.  

Do I wait 2 hours for a tow or do I go?  I go f@ck waiting.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 07/14/09 at 08:47:48

Yeah, I've had to do that before when my clutch cable snapped.  Just wondering - What kind of damage does that do to the transmission, clutch, or other components?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 07/14/09 at 08:53:33

verslagen1 wrote on 07/09/09 at 15:40:27:
You think that was fun?
Try push starting w/o a clutch, man that's fun.   Shocked

My clutch cam gave out on the freeway, I pulled over to check it out.
Was it the cable? nope  cam.  

Do I wait 2 hours for a tow or do I go?  I go f@ck waiting.

how the hell did you push start it without a clutch? on cold mornings when my bike won't start it takes me two or three times down a short hill to get her running with a clutch. are you fighting the transmission the whole way?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/14/09 at 09:07:52

spacepirates wrote on 07/14/09 at 08:53:33:
how the hell did you push start it without a clutch? on cold mornings when my bike won't start it takes me two or three times down a short hill to get her running with a clutch. are you fighting the transmission the whole way?

Pushed like hell in N then jammed it in 1st.  Remember she was already hot and ready to go.  Should've gone for 2nd, but was more confident 1st would work.
Hindsight being 20/20... might've been able to electric start it, then push her up and jam into gear.  When I was stopping, tried to find neutral but couldn't.

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #6 - 07/14/09 at 12:02:10

So long as the RPM is right it just pops right in, but if not just right it can wear out the edges of the gears a little over a very long time if you just grind them or try and pop it in gear at bad times.

But for the most part. NO it wont hurt anything... saves you clutch by not using it also...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 07/14/09 at 18:24:40

tried this new-fangled no clutch shifting thing on my way home from work today, it was quite the pregnant dog.

the higher gears were fine, but getting from first to second, and almost anything shifting down was kind of tricky.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/14/09 at 19:29:35

1st & second are a bit far apart for it, but it can be done. For a d/shift, a throttle blip & a step on the lever gets it.just gotta unload the trans gears to get the shifter to slip across, then the increased RPM meshes the trans up fine. The blip to get from 2nd down to first is a good bit more vigorous & you risk lurching the bike around & creating a harsh bang inside the tranny. I just slip it into neutral & use the clutch once stopped to get back into 1st.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/15/09 at 06:16:03

I used to have a BSA in the 1950's that I ran on the dragstrip once in a while and never used the clutch going down the track. I don't know what effect it has mechanically but I never had any trouble. If I remember correctly, most everyone just kicked them into the gears. The BSA shift pattern was one up and three down so you were pushing down to go up in the gears. Gene

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/15/09 at 08:56:37

I knida played this today too, 3-4-5 go very easy both ways, down and up. As long as you are not heavy on the gas. 1-2 I didn't even try, god forbid 2-1 downshift Wink

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #11 - 07/15/09 at 10:08:50

The rider's task when upshifting is to get it done completely smoothly.  With a toe under the shifter pulling up not-too-hard, roll the throttle part way off then back on to the correct point as the transmission shifts.  It it isn't smooth, you didn't do your throttle action right.

My bike mechanic recommends avoiding clutchless downshifting and avoiding 1-2 upshifting to minimize the chance of transmission damage (except in the winter when he needs the work).

I think Keith Code's California Superbike School teaches the riders to use their clutch on downshifts.
"The actions of riding one lap of a complex circuit with say 13 corners, like our favorite training track, the Streets of Willow Springs, breaks down something like this:

Throttle position changes (including throttle blips) 50
Steering inputs 22
Gear changes 20
Clutch actions (downshifts only) 10
Front brake pulls and releases 14 "
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=75

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/15/09 at 10:41:25

I think us older ones here who grew up on standard shift cars would have less problem shifting with out the clutch.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 07/15/09 at 11:25:32

Only question I have is what do you do if you encounter a stop light or somewhere else that you have to come to a complete stop at? She'll stall if you don't clutch-in in those situations with Bike in gear ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/15/09 at 11:30:44

When the BSA was done on the strip as qouted, it was at wide open throttle all the way down the strip, not letting up to shift. Thats why I said we kicked it down into the gears.  This was done numerous times every year for quite a few years with no bad effects noticed. Gene

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutchless shifting...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.