Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Resurfacing the rocker arms (Read 229 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Resurfacing the rocker arms
07/08/09 at 11:34:24

This is something I need to do, so that is why I am starting the brain picking session.  

New rocker arms are expensive and the new ones will abrade just like the originals did.  We live in a ZDDP depleted world right now and that is not going to change any time soon.  So perhaps one of our solutions is to try a different material out on the tappet end of the rocker arms.

To discuss this intelligently, we are going to need some welding experts (hopefully somebody with a hardness tester that they can get access to).

I see that the cam lobes are fairly well understood by Lancer, so Lancer -- how hard are the cam lobes?  If you don't know off the top of your head, I bet your regrinding house does know and could answer that question next time you talk to them.  

We need to have our tappet resurfacing method come out at least a few points softer than the cam lobes or we will be biting a cam lobe wear out issue in exchange for the rocker arm wear out issue.

Next, resurfacing method to use.  We can weld up the tips with a hard surfacing rod (carefully picked of course) or we can grind off a flat and then gas braise on a little square of a better contact material.

Both ideas have downsides -- I will let the experts discuss which is better because I am not a welding expert.

================

Lastly, at the end of the discussion we will hopefully have us a recovery method for our rocker arms that will yeild something with somewhat better durability than the stock rocker arms.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Resurfacing the rocker arms
Reply #1 - 07/08/09 at 11:58:22

Hard material wear better because in the process of hardening, the molecules are packed tighter together.  So instead of rubbing 2 sheets of sand paper together, you are rubbing 2 sheets of glass.  But if you have the proper lube, even sandpaper will glide on each other.

In your case, we have lubrication failure.  And I think the materials for the cam and rocker are the same.  Many metals when rubbed together dry will gall.  But add lube and you're fine.  there are many treatments that will give the base metals a slicker surface in the absence of oil.

If I were looking for additionall life of the cam and rockers, I would be looking at roller lifters.  If all I wanted was a little more insurance against oil failure, I'd be looking at a surface treatment.

WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #2 - 07/08/09 at 12:39:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/08/09 at 11:58:22:
If I were looking for additionall life of the cam and rockers, I would be looking at roller lifters.  If all I wanted was a little more insurance against oil failure, I'd be looking at a surface treatment.

I've heard nitriding works very well. Around here reground cams are usually nitrided which they say is a quickish and cheapish process.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/08/09 at 13:37:59

Cams and rockers are hardened. Dunno to what rockwell on either ... but RC45 on the cams and RC30 on the lifters is what one VW mechanic used that I knew of.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/08/09 at 16:45:19

Heating the tips of the rocker arms and quenching them in oil will increase the carbon content of the wear surfaces on the arms. It would need to be done five or six times to get the carbon into the metal. Even then a penitration of only 1-2 millimeters would be achieved. After that a final heating to red with a oil quench will harden the metal. Placing it in a oven at 450-500 degrees for two or three hours toughens the metal and reduces brittleness. Don't know if this would work on the rocker arms, a lot depends on the type of steel they are made out of. Even if the tips are built up with welds some type of heat treatment would be needed to relieve the stress from the welding.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/08/09 at 18:45:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/08/09 at 11:34:24:
This is something I need to do, so that is why I am starting the brain picking session.  

New rocker arms are expensive and the new ones will abrade just like the originals did.  We live in a ZDDP depleted world right now and that is not going to change any time soon.  So perhaps one of our solutions is to try a different material out on the tappet end of the rocker arms.

To discuss this intelligently, we are going to need some welding experts (hopefully somebody with a hardness tester that they can get access to).

I see that the cam lobes are fairly well understood by Lancer, so Lancer -- how hard are the cam lobes?  If you don't know off the top of your head, I bet your regrinding house does know and could answer that question next time you talk to them.  

We need to have our tappet resurfacing method come out at least a few points softer than the cam lobes or we will be biting a cam lobe wear out issue in exchange for the rocker arm wear out issue.

Next, resurfacing method to use.  We can weld up the tips with a hard surfacing rod (carefully picked of course) or we can grind off a flat and then gas braise on a little square of a better contact material.

Both ideas have downsides -- I will let the experts discuss which is better because I am not a welding expert.

================

Lastly, at the end of the discussion we will hopefully have us a recovery method for our rocker arms that will yeild something with somewhat better durability than the stock rocker arms.

I will try to get some info tomorrow

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 07/08/09 at 20:04:47

Ron Ayers has the rocker arms for $41.

How much of a problem is excess wear of the cam contact surface of the rocker arms?  Are we sure that the entire oil system is in good working order supplying the correct flow of oil to the cam area?  Is the oil viscosity suited to the actual temperatures encountered?  How many miles are the rocker arms good for?  What oil is being used?...diesel engine oil or motorcycle oil, or automobile engine oil?  Automobile 10W-40 is crap oil.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/08/09 at 20:46:21

If repairing is what you want to do, then I'd get some loaners to compare dim's.

Nitriding is the process I was trying to remember.  That's good chit.  Slicker than goose chit.  Get that crap on there and you can run it dry again.

Concidering the effort, I'd get new.  maybe nitride 'em too.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/08/09 at 20:57:13

PTRider, we have two scenarios that we deal with as a list.   First is catastophic oil pressure failure which we like to do by simply running out of oil (extremely low oil level) and by pumping some froth instead of oil (very low oil level) and causing the oil pump not to work at all by misassembling the flange gear on the back of the clutch basket.

All of these things are operator errors and certainly are our fault.

Second, and much more gradual but also happening to all of us is a lack of ZDDP in modern car type oils which causes many of us to begin the gaulling process on the softer rocker arm material.   Once started, it progresses along slowly until we do a top end tear down and set ourselves up for a $90-100 set of replacement rocker arms.   This happens more frequently than you would think ....

These new replacement arms will do the same thing again, BTW -- which is why I am looking for better/stronger build up material.

So far we have our rocker arms being slightly softer than a pocket knife blade (you can score the rocker arms with the point of the pocket knife).  This falls in line with an RC30 rating as mentioned above.   It is also a deep blue/purple draw color on an oil quenched open flame anneal (for those who heat treat and draw their own steel).

We have ad hock VW info that cams are case hardened to RC 45.  Lancer will get us some additional information.

If we can find some welding rod that comes in at RC35-40 that would be a very nice resurfacing rod to use on these worn items.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 07/08/09 at 22:48:40

By the way, the 20W-50 oil I use has 0.1519% zinc, "Extra zinc anti-wear additives to protect flat-tappet cams from excessive wear," and is labeled, "recommended for use in all 4-cycle air-cooled or water-cooled motorcycle and ATV engines. Supreme 7000 Synthetic Racing Oil SAE 20W-50 can also used in those motorcycles that have a common sump for the engine and transmission."
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/705.pdf
This company's syn-blend 15W-40 and full syn 5W-40 have been in my Volvo turbo engine for probably 150k now (175k on the engine), and with the camshaft and a couple of rocker arms visible in the oil fill (no rollers, just rocker arms on the cams) there is no visible wear, just a shiny area on the cam lobes.  The engine runs smooth and peppy.  These oils don't list the zinc content on the spec sheet, but do say, "19. Exceptional Valve-Train Wear Protection," and, "Significantly Less Bearing, Ring, Piston, Cylinder and Valve-Train Wear."  This matches my experience.

Case hardening the rocker arm faces might be good.  The type of case hardening depends on the composition of the steel used to make the rocker arms.  Not all steels are suitable for nitriding.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #10 - 07/09/09 at 02:10:40

IF it was lack of ZDTP related problem, one of the zinc additives could help. That being said, I sold 2 bikes a while ago, one with 134000 kms and a Savage with 86000 kms, both ran with cheap mineral automotive 10W40. Neither had cam or valvetrain problems. I doubt it's a ZDTP problem as the actual zinc content hasn't changed that much as this recently linked Penrite oil company information suggests.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/09/09 at 08:16:31

Surprise, your European oil standards were different than those in the US -- your article mentions this fact.    It also mentions the bad for your clutch friction modifiers that were added to replace the ZDTP action in the new auto motor oils.  It also mentions using diesel oils.  I find nothing to disagree with that is contained in this article.

========

"In effect, an engine oil that contains about 0.1% phosphorus or higher, will easily provide the required anti wear properties for older engines and in fact ones at around 0.07% will do the job very nicely.  As a rule of thumb, zinc content is about 10% higher than the phosphorus content but there are some variances occasioanally.

Within these changes was the incorporation of friction modifiers.  The early ones were very active and did cause oil consumption in older engines.  These days, technology is well advanced and this no longer is the case.

Now we have API SM – for the first time, the limit on phosphorus is from 0.06-0.08%.  There are industry concerns about the applicability of these oils in older engines.  However, the limit only applies to 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils (so called “ILSAC” grades, GF-4).  Any other grades are exempt from this. In the US though the same additive tends to get used all the way from 0W-20 to 20W-50 as as a result, the new low phosphorus SM/GF-4 packs find their way into older engines.  This is why many of the "beware of no zinc" papers and articles are coming from the US.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #12 - 07/09/09 at 11:35:52

WEBCAMS hard surface welds rocker arms !  Wink

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #13 - 07/09/09 at 12:11:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/09/09 at 08:16:31:
Surprise, your European oil standards were different than those in the US -- your article mentions this fact.    It also mentions the bad for your clutch friction modifiers that were added to replace the ZDTP action in the new auto motor oils.  It also mentions using diesel oils.  I find nothing to disagree with that is contained in this article.

========

"In effect, an engine oil that contains about 0.1% phosphorus or higher, will easily provide the required anti wear properties for older engines and in fact ones at around 0.07% will do the job very nicely.  As a rule of thumb, zinc content is about 10% higher than the phosphorus content but there are some variances occasioanally.

Within these changes was the incorporation of friction modifiers.  The early ones were very active and did cause oil consumption in older engines.  These days, technology is well advanced and this no longer is the case.

Now we have API SM – for the first time, the limit on phosphorus is from 0.06-0.08%.  There are industry concerns about the applicability of these oils in older engines.  However, the limit only applies to 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils (so called “ILSAC” grades, GF-4).  Any other grades are exempt from this. In the US though the same additive tends to get used all the way from 0W-20 to 20W-50 as as a result, the new low phosphorus SM/GF-4 packs find their way into older engines.  This is why many of the "beware of no zinc" papers and articles are coming from the US.

Savage cam problems have been there for longer than API SM oils. Mine never had a problem, other European Savage owners have had damaged camshafts using better oil than I did so it appears to be not just the oil rating. Zinc and phosphorous help but we cannot say that Savages never had cam problems until API SM and camshaft and rocker arm failures have just recently appeared.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #14 - 07/09/09 at 13:15:36

the zinc problem is not a myth, a lot of muscle car guys are having trouble, especially with solid cams.  I switched to valvoline's race only oil in my race car for that very reason.  That's not an appropriate oil for a wet clutch AFAIK however.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:40:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Resurfacing the rocker arms

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.