Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First multi-fuel-tank ride (Read 174 times)
ZeroStar
YaBB Newbies

Port Townsend, WA
First multi-fuel-tank ride
07/07/09 at 15:13:48

So my dad and I went on my first 100+ mile ride this weekend. Some mixed hi-way and side road touring around the Olympic Peninsula (WA). Now that I've had my poor backside on the Savage for more than 30 min I have a few questions/comments for you all.

First off, I've been riding my Sav for about a year, and have not done any mods. I'm 6' and weigh about 235-240, so that might be the stem of some of my problems.

Main thing I noticed was when I exceeded 50-55mph things got a bit shaky, and I seemed to have very little power to get up to the 60mph mark (and thus keep up with my dad's Vulcan). My dad said it was just wind and bad roads, but I'm not 100% convinced. Anyone else have this experience?

Second comment - I now understand the "numb butt" references!

Thirdly - I now understand the need for the "forward controls" mod for those of us in the 6' range!

And last but not least... MAN WAS IT FUN! For those who have been to this area, we rode a section of highway 101 through Discovery Bay, Quilcene and Brinnon. Not the best quality roads, but the scenery was AMAZING, and we took a few detours to check some stuff out like some rivers and campgrounds along the way. I slept like thew dead that night, and now have the jittery urge to go on another nice long ride... hope the weather clears up for this weekend!

'04 Silver Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: First multi-fuel-tank ride
Reply #1 - 07/07/09 at 15:29:40

6' 240# too.

If you keep the stock seat, you'll like the forward controls.
or, change to a sportster seat, does about the same thing.

rejet, you should be able to keep up with the vulcan.

shaky depends on your set up and speed, go 10 mph faster and it will change.  I got a new set of z bars, now I can hardly see anything in the mirrors.  With some mini apes it was quite a bit better, neither one has the damper weights.

WWW   IP Logged
ZeroStar
YaBB Newbies

Port Townsend, WA
Reply #2 - 07/07/09 at 15:35:06

Maybe shaky wasn't exactly the right term, maybe unstable is better. Especially when cornering, I just felt like I didn't have enough power to accelerate through turns when I was already going 55 or 60mph, which in turn lead to something similar to that horrible unstable feeling you get when slowing through corners where you sorta drift a bit and feel like you're going to flip or fall over.

'04 Silver Savage
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 07/07/09 at 15:49:36

Look into a fork brace. It helps a lot to stabilize the front end at highway speeds. I have the Tkat and it makes highway speeds much tamer. Do a search for Tkat and you will find mucho info on it.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
ZeroStar
YaBB Newbies

Port Townsend, WA
Reply #4 - 07/07/09 at 15:53:20

Will do, thanks Skid.

'04 Silver Savage
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/07/09 at 18:20:24

How old is the bike?   Condition of tires?   What brand tires are you running?  

The stock IRC's are only fair tires.   My back tire was noisy on turns due to the tread pattern.    I put Dunlop 404's on and it was a much better riding bike, and quieter too.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/08/09 at 05:04:18

Also consider Diamond Jim's seat mod. I did mine and felt more a part of the bike. Handling improved. Thought it was my imagination at first; but now I know that the handling improved from removing the excess foam and nestling down further into the bike. Forward controls are a must for 6ft and over IMHO.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #7 - 07/08/09 at 06:11:57

I, like T Mack, have Dunlop 404's front and back and the rear end still feels loose but that's all part of the charm of this bike. The main point is the last of your comments.......It was fun...... that's what it's all about.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/08/09 at 06:27:47

Try pirreli 66 route next time you need tires,Handles lot better and really rides better to my surprise.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 07/08/09 at 11:43:59

Something just isn't right. I am 6'1" 300 and I just took a ride two up with the little women. We did a little over a hundred miles round trip, and have no problem keeping up/ execding the flow of trafic on the I5. I try and keep it down to 75 but sometime you just have to get past the bad drivers. Based on my experince with an over waighted stock bike, you should not be having a problem with speed.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #10 - 07/08/09 at 14:48:22

I too am a little suspicious that you're describing weak power from as low as 50-55 mph. Sure, the acceleration is a little less in the higher ranges of 5th gear, but my experience would not call it weak. Certainly not at that comfortable speed.

IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/08/09 at 15:52:43

ya, same here. I have rejetted, but loaded to close to 375lbs 85 is an optional speed, not preferable due to high revs, but, our bike can make it. i would just go over power issues: spark, air leaks, exhaust leaks, new oil, check air filter, yadda yadda.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #12 - 07/08/09 at 20:31:05

1--Air your tires up.  The pressure on the sticker on the bike is the minimum acceptable cold pressure, and 3 or 4 psi above that might feel better.

2--Consider a fork brace, either from Tkat $92 delivered, or from SuperBrace.  I like the result.

3--Consider better tires.  I like the Pirelli MT66 Route tires I just got from Jim.  I like them at 33 & 36 psi.

4--Set the rear shock for your actual loaded weight.  Just me (200# without riding gear) and no cargo works well at the #3 setting.  You might do best on the #4 setting...next to the highest.

I just trucked my Savage to Greenwater on Highway 410 and did a couple of rides up to Chinook Pass.  Great ride, great scenery, struck out on the weather this time...40's, heavy rain, patches of dense fog, still some tired old snow on the hill sides.  A glimpse through the clouds showed some spectacular mountains, but Mt. Rainier wasn't out that day.  Mt. Rainier, 14,411 feet, is an active volcano 54 miles from Seattle.  Rainier rises 13,000 feet from its base.  It has 26 glaciers.  I ski near there...on a very clear day we can see six volcanoes from the top of the ski lift.
(not my pics, Rainier, some peak next to Rainier, and Rainier beyond Tipsoo Lake)

There are lots of postings about re-jetting.  Do adjust the idle mixture screw, replace the needle jet spacer with three 3mm washers (from Henery's), and install a 150 main jet (available from any Suzuki dealership, $4)--it is a standard Mikuni main jet, 8mm O.D., 9mm long.

Do stop into Jim's shop some afternoon and contribute your share of BS with the guys around the coffee pot.  There are a couple of Savage riders there including Phelonius...who's presently recuperating from trying to use his Yamaha as a bambi suppository.  Bambi and the Yamaha are DOA.  Watch out for elk on both 101 and 410.  Look for my black Savage around town or at Jim's.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:31:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First multi-fuel-tank ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.