Send Topic Print
Tripometer.....sort of (Read 271 times)
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

love my zuki! :)

New Mexico
Tripometer.....sort of
07/07/09 at 14:26:35

As you all know there is no tripometer on these bikes, which can be problematic as they have such a small fuel tank!  I have a suggestion, that worked really well for me on my 2800 mile round trip ride!  What I did was with a dry erase marker I wrote down the mileage on my fuel cap when we filled up. Because the fuel cap is chrome it is reflective, and it makes it really easy to see what you wrote down. The good thing about the dry erase marker is that it is easy to wipe clean, and it stayed on the fuel cap when we hit a little bit of rain. I found that the red dry erase marker showed up better than the black, and this puts it in a place that is easy to see as you are riding! I hope that this is helpful advice!  Smiley

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Re: Tripometer.....sort of
Reply #1 - 07/07/09 at 14:32:26

good idea who says kids dont know anything Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #2 - 07/07/09 at 14:36:03

it worked really well, i may young, but i aren't dumb! lol

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/07/09 at 14:51:58

I do that too and it works great until you ride thru a downpour. now I look for a place to fill up  every time the odometer turns another even 100 miles. it's especially important when running the raptor petcock which leaves me with less than 7 miles on reserve.

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #4 - 07/07/09 at 15:03:00

yeah, the downpoor could be a problem. I havnen't thought of anything to avoid that, we were lucky enough to miss any bad rain on the trip. And he had a fuel light, and tripometer on his bike, so it wasn't too bad.

IP Logged
tldk1678

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/07/09 at 16:01:10

I took a luggage lock with the dial combo and sawed of the hasp. I set the dial to 100 miles from fill up and get gas when it gets around that point.

Double stick taped it between the engine kill switch and the start switch.

$4.50 fix.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 07/08/09 at 04:51:19

The every-100-miles method works perfectly for me.  I fill up every time the odometer is hitting xxx50.  Leaves me with plenty of reserve if I have to search for a gas station.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 07/08/09 at 08:50:28

Also use a 3 digit luggage lock ... double sided tape on bars 'tween the handlebar clamps ... dial up last 3 digits of my odometer on the luggage lock every time I visit gas station ... works great for keeping tabs on my fuel!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #8 - 07/08/09 at 10:55:42

Use one of these to write the mileage down on the speedo face.  They wipe off with a paper towel and a little water.  I've used green or white.  White is easier to see on the speedo but green is easier to read if I write the numbers down on the receipt.   Grin

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #9 - 07/09/09 at 14:02:26

cool all of that sounds like it would work pretty well too!  I have only been riding about a month and a half, and that was what i thought of at the last minute...it worked pretty well! Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/10/09 at 04:04:12

I look in the tank before I leave home. If I am soon to need gas, I just ride a while & get gas. If it does hit reserve, Ill flip the lever & go get gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 07/10/09 at 05:09:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/09 at 04:04:12:
I look in the tank before I leave home. If I am soon to need gas, I just ride a while & get gas. If it does hit reserve, Ill flip the lever & go get gas.

LOL!!! Man that's "Old Skool, Hard Core" ... way to go dude! ... Some of us like the luxury of a marker or a luggage lock however Wink

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #12 - 07/10/09 at 07:14:13

yeah, looking in the tank works great if you are just going from a to b, and running around town, or short distances. but if you are going on a long trip you may not have the option to stop that frequently, and that is the reason for the marker or dial is a good option. when i am just doing short distances, or riding around town, i just look in the tank too and it works fine.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 07/10/09 at 13:05:55

Luggage Lock around the mirror stem doubles as a helmet lock

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 07/10/09 at 19:04:23

I got a luggage lock hanging on the helmet holder by the rear fender. Do they not make those trip meters anymore they used to make in the old days for putting in cars that didn't have one?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:33:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tripometer.....sort of

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.