Send Topic Print
Turn signal question (Read 164 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Turn signal question
07/04/09 at 18:36:22

Just wondering. I switched to a smaller housing for my rear turn signals and the orginal bulbs do not fit. The original 23w 1073 bulbs flash but the smaller bulbs that came with the ssignals do not because they have only a 10w rating. Has anybody out there used a smaller bulb that works or do I have to change the relay. If I have to change the relay would I also have to change the front bulbs? Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Turn signal question
Reply #1 - 07/04/09 at 19:05:35

Check your wiring,... they should still flash.  If the wattage is too low, they will flash at double speed, but should still flash.
Going to an electronic flasher instead of the standard thermal one will prevent the fast flash.  You can buy a universal 2 wire unit at the auto parts store for $10 or so...
You don't have to change the fronts if you don't want too.
Happy 4th!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #2 - 07/04/09 at 19:12:30

They flash on with the smaller bulb but not off. With the regular bulbs they flash like normal. this is on an '87 if that helps.
just need a small bulb that can work as a turn signal in the standard socket.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/04/09 at 19:23:19

no reason they shouldn't flash...
year don't matter...
mine flash... and they're the dinky yellow ones.... the red ones are running/brake lights..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 07/31/09 at 12:03:14

I have a question. I am in the middle of wiring in a new speedometer. This one only has 4 lights. High beam, neutral, oil temp and turn signal with only one light for both and a double arrow above it. If you look in the wiring diagram in the book it shows each main wire going to said light, when I do that I get a lot of feedback to the other side. I was going to make the high temp light blink left because it is on the left, and the blinker light blink for the right but I wanted to see if any one had any input before I did that.

The one I got looks like this one.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #5 - 07/31/09 at 13:55:02

Depends on the bike year but my 87 has one light for the blinker and my 96 has one for each side. When I looked up my wiring I had a thermal flasher. That means when on it heats up and when the contact gets hot enough it disconnects, then when cooled it reconnects. I switched to an electronic flasher. This change in a lower wattage forced this change it did not "burn" hot enough to trip the thermal flasher  but works with the electonic flasher.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 07/31/09 at 14:16:35

With out cheating I don't even have enough current pull anymore to use an electronic flasher. Or at least the one I got, which was one that every one was talking about.

Even looking at the newest 05-07 book, it shows the exact same wiring with one bulb, and that speedometer is supposed to work with both directions with one indicator light. I might just put it back to how I had it. It will just freak people out, but I'll know what it is doing.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/31/09 at 14:23:18

You can use "steering" diodes to run the single speedo lamp off both the turn signal lines.  That will stop the feedback to the other lights.
Any small diode should do the trick OK.  IN4004, etc  or a bridge rectifier.
See This Post for info on how a bridge rectifier can be wired up as a steering diode pair.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 08/03/09 at 09:38:29

Alright thanks for that info.

Also I am having this problem:

http://www.customled.com/products/load_equalizer/load_equalizer.htm

Now call me crazy but I'm PRETTY sure that is just a resistor. We have tons of different sizes (ohms) at work. So I brought one home, I think it was a 65 ohm. I tried it out and it worked, but it gets pretty warm. Should I try a much larger one?

That site also has flashers that you just change out and apparently it works. I've tried two different electronic flashers and neither of them worked at all.

I wonder if this would work??
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062292

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.