Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cover? (Read 321 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cove
Reply #15 - 01/10/11 at 09:20:16

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/05/11 at 15:18:52:
How do they get an accurate pressure reading when oil doesn't particularly "need" to go down that little dead passage to the gauge? I don't doubt that it works, I just don't understand exactly how. So there's pressure pumping through the system and oil will go wherever it can. Is it that even when the oil can't go anywhere, pressure is the same everywhere? Is it that the pressure isn't just in the direction of flow, but in every direction?

There does not have to be oil flowing directly by the sensor for there to be a readable, static pressure.  So a pressure guage would work when threaded into either the front or bottom plug.  Pressure would be the same throughout the oil lines only if they were 100% blocked at their outlets.  In normal use, there is a dynamic pressure loss in every inch of line and around every bend.  Pressure is greatest just after the pump and decreases the further you get from it.

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/05/11 at 15:18:52:
Now for part two of my brain fart. If there's an oil cooler connected between the two highlighted ports, it seems to my tiny brain that only part of the oil would flow through the cooler while the rest flowed through the crossover. If that's the case, then at what point does the resistance in the oil cooler and lines have the oil thinking, "Screw this, I'm taking the shortcut," leaving very little willing to make the schlep through the cooler, leaving it full but rather stagnant? Or does the thermal change encourage flow through the cooler?

The oil would not say "screw this" and flip like a switch from one path to the other.  The amount going through the cooler and cross pipe would adjust so that the pressure loss is the same for either path.  The thermal change, if anything, would increase the viscosity of the oil returning from the cooler and decrease the flow through it.  But the pressure drop across the two paths would still be the same.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 01/10/11 at 20:21:02

The thermal change, if anything, would increase the viscosity of the oil returning from the cooler and decrease the flow through it.

That would make sense to me, but I have to ask, what about these multigrade oils? I thot they flowed ( say its a 10/30, just for grins) like a 10 weight when cold & expanded & flowed like a 30 weight at operating temps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 01/10/11 at 20:52:12

Multigrade oils still thicken up as they cool and thin out as they're heated, just not as dramatically as straight-weight oil.  What they mean by "10W-40" is that the oil will flow like a straight 10 weight at the "Winter" temperature (whatever that is) and like a straight 40 at full running temperature. Some people take that to mean the oil actually thickens as it heats up.. not the case.  A cold 10-weight still pours thicker than a hot 40-weight.

Dang, I wish Charon was still around.  He'd school us good.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 01/10/11 at 21:04:05

Boule’tard wrote on 01/10/11 at 20:52:12:
Multigrade oils still thicken up as they cool and thin out as they're heated, just not as dramatically as straight-weight oil.  What they mean by "10W-40" is that the oil will flow like a straight 10 weight at the "Winter" temperature (whatever that is) and like a straight 40 at full running temperature. Some people take that to mean the oil actually thickens as it heats up.. not the case.  A cold 10-weight still pours thicker than a hot 40-weight.

Dang, I wish Charon was still around.  He'd school us good.

Yea, didnt agree with everything he said, but the guy knew a lot of technical stuff, smart fella, I miss him.

& what you say makes sense, I was asking, not standing on a soap box, but you knew that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:26:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cover?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.