Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cover? (Read 321 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cover?
07/04/09 at 14:37:13

OK, I give up!  I tried some searches with no joy.

A question for the Savagista:

What is the purpose of the plug at the bottom front portion of the clutch cover?

I am referring to #8 in the diagram below:

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cove
Reply #1 - 07/04/09 at 15:43:07

My O Pinion,, It was necessary to put tooling in from there to make the oil passages, so, they had no choice but plug it. Just so happens, its handy for folks who want to slap an oil cooler on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/05/09 at 03:19:35

It is used by the dealership and/or factory, in conjunction with a similar port on the front on of engine case, to hook up a oil pressure guage when testing the engine.
The one on the engine case faces forward and is a slightly different size.  I believe there is a picture of the oil flow within the engine posted in the tech section which shows these ports and how they can be used for attaching an oil cooler to the engine.

Found the pics on my snapfish...

With the plugs installed the oil takes a short route from the pump to the filter, but if the plugs are removed then at least part of the oil will go through the ports, and oil filter and/or pressure/temp guage if installed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/05/09 at 04:56:39

& while Lancer is correct in How the port is used,l still think the ports came into existence not by an engineer simply wanting a plug there, but because they had no choice. If the wanted an oil galley, they had to drill it, so theres a hole that must be plugged. If it was just so theyd have a way to hook up an oil gauge, then there would only be one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/05/09 at 06:52:22

according to the ssm thats is the oil pressure port
7.1 > 10.7 psi @ 3000 rpm oil temp 140F
that is the port i used for my oil temp gauge sender

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 07/05/09 at 08:44:00

I have a different opinion, see if you can catch me:
The engine was at the beginning in a different frame, the Tempter a 400 cc engine. The plug could be removed to drain the oilfilter housing.
If it was only there to make an oilpassage the engineers would save the machining and installation of a threaded plug. Instead the would have plugged the hole with an alluminum plug, permanently.
BTW the plug facing forward is indeed for the oilpressure gauge. Cheesy

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/08/09 at 21:45:24

Thanks, everyone, for your answers.

It doesn't look as if it is something to lose sleep over.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 01/05/11 at 15:18:52

I'm trying to figure something out from the diagram above showing the direction of oil flow, specifically the part highlighted in pink.

With a pressure gauge connected to the front-facing "out" port, oil still flows through the crossover to the passage in the clutch cover. Here's where my tiny brain starts to go, "Huh?" How do they get an accurate pressure reading when oil doesn't particularly "need" to go down that little dead passage to the gauge? I don't doubt that it works, I just don't understand exactly how. So there's pressure pumping through the system and oil will go wherever it can. Is it that even when the oil can't go anywhere, pressure is the same everywhere? Is it that the pressure isn't just in the direction of flow, but in every direction?

Now for part two of my brain fart. If there's an oil cooler connected between the two highlighted ports, it seems to my tiny brain that only part of the oil would flow through the cooler while the rest flowed through the crossover. If that's the case, then at what point does the resistance in the oil cooler and lines have the oil thinking, "Screw this, I'm taking the shortcut," leaving very little willing to make the schlep through the cooler, leaving it full but rather stagnant? Or does the thermal change encourage flow through the cooler?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/05/11 at 16:25:41

You are right, the only back pressure in this entire system comes from two places, one is a flow jet at the start of the passages leading to the transmission and the other is the cam journal clearances up in the head.

I personally thing the only place you can take a real world oil pressure reading on this system is at the end of the last head cam journal oil passage.  Why?  Checking it down below does not "see" any blocked oil passages, etc.  They could be blocked off completely and you would just be reading the oil jet flow/pressure to the transmission and likely think all was OK with a low gallery check.

The way folks force oil flow through their coolers is to play with the clutch cover gasket, blanking off the round hole that that crossover tube follows through the paper gasket.  Now the oil has to go round through the cooler.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/05/11 at 17:22:09

There's a right angled turn to go thru the cover port, so like most things oil will tend to go straight.  This creates a stagnant pool for the oil pressure to accumulate, giving a more accurate reading of the oil pressure.  And I think the cover port is slightly smaller than the passageway.

BTW, pretty sure all the plugs are the same size.

HEY!   Smiley  I got's one of those port adapters for the pressure port.  We've been discussing pulling out one of the plugs in the head cover to mount a pressure gage.  No need, there's one of these plugs holding in the rocker shaft.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/05/11 at 17:22:51

the front port is where the oil gauge(09915-74510) gets hooked up, just one hose that passage comes straight from the oil pump.
hooking up an oil cooler there and to the bottom plug may work if cooler is lower than the gallery..
my temp gauge is hooked up to the forward port and in 4 years has never showed temps high enough to justify an oil cooler even in 100f summer  crossing the desert....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 01/05/11 at 17:31:29

verslagen1 wrote on 01/05/11 at 17:22:09:

I measured them a little while ago. The one in the crankcase is an M14 while the one in the clutch cover is an M12. Both are 1.25 thread pitch, though.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/05/11 at 17:50:07

Okay, you want the REAL answer? You want to know why that plugs there? I think I finally figured it out. I decided to discover the purpose of that plug, so, I fired it up & pulled the plug. I am convinced the plug is there to keep the oil in.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/05/11 at 19:52:12

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/05/11 at 17:31:29:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/05/11 at 17:22:09:

I measured them a little while ago. The one in the crankcase is an M14 while the one in the clutch cover is an M12. Both are 1.25 thread pitch, though.

Well dag gummit, you're right.  
front plug and rocker plug are M14.
bottom plug, oil drain and sparky are M12.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 01/10/11 at 07:57:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/05/11 at 17:50:07:
Okay, you want the REAL answer? You want to know why that plugs there? I think I finally figured it out. I decided to discover the purpose of that plug, so, I fired it up & pulled the plug. I am convinced the plug is there to keep the oil in.

I’ll go with that answer. As well as the insulation on wire is there to
keep the smoke in – man you let the smoke out of wire and it’s sure
hard to get it back in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:33:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Purpose of Plug at Bottom Front of Clutch Cover?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.