VanHanlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Valve/Rocker question
07/04/09 at 13:04:18

Greetings,

I purchased a 2005 S40 a few weeks ago (5k on the odometer).  I've been thoroughly enjoying it, but I've been wondering how much top-end clickety-clack I should be hearing.  I wear a full-face helmet, and the rockers/valves are audible at around town speeds (the wind drowns them out up around 60+).  Is this sort of noise to be expected or should I have my valvetrain checked out?

Thanks,
Jonathan

2005 S40
White
1/2 spacer, Re-jet
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Valve/Rocker question
Reply #1 - 07/04/09 at 13:50:38

Valves likely just need adjusting -- do you own metric tools and do you work on mechanical items?

If so, get a Clymer's manual (see tech sec for on line copy or get a paper copy -- my choice as it can be open on the ground while I am wrenching) and start maintaining your own bike.

We have seen too many examples of people getting taken to the cleaners by stealership service departments not to try to get you started on doing your own simple maintenance items.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
VanHanlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 07/04/09 at 13:56:26

Yeah, I'm fairly handy, and I have a bunch of tools (including metrics).  I have a Clymer manual on the way from Amazon as we speak.

Thanks.

2005 S40
White
1/2 spacer, Re-jet
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 07/04/09 at 14:02:44

VanHanlon wrote on 07/04/09 at 13:56:26:
Yeah, I'm fairly handy, and I have a bunch of tools (including metrics).  I have a Clymer manual on the way from Amazon as we speak.

Thanks.

Then your pretty much set. This site + Clymers or Shop Manual = being able to do pretty much anything to this bike without having to pay the stealership.

Word of warning though, the Clymers says to turn the engine clockwise to find TDC, you actually turn it counter clockwise (or, the direction the wheels turn when riding.)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 07/04/09 at 14:16:14

But there's nothing wrong with turning the engine clockwise (is there?) which is the reverse rotation.  When turning counterclockwise the shaft nut has been known to loosen which makes the job much more trouble.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 07/04/09 at 14:22:29

Trying to turn it clockwise has been known to booger the starter clutch gear from what I understand from a few other posters.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 07/04/09 at 14:44:48

PTRider wrote on 07/04/09 at 14:16:14:
But there's nothing wrong with turning the engine clockwise (is there?) which is the reverse rotation.  When turning counterclockwise the shaft nut has been known to loosen which makes the job much more trouble.

I don't know sensitive the savage is but most engines are at risk of jumping the cam chain if you do that.  The cam chain tensioners are designed to run on the back side of the chain loop so the tension applied as the crank turns and pulls the cam over tightens the front side of the loop.  The back side holds the slop and that is where the tensioner is.  So yes usually there is something wrong with cranking a cam chain engine backwards.  Generally you don't want to do it.  If you are wrong you risk your cam timing and if you jump it far enough you can risk your entire top end if you get the cams too far out of timing.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/04/09 at 15:49:18

If the plug is out & its in neutral, theres hardly any torque on the nut to back it off with,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #8 - 07/04/09 at 17:14:58

If you were corcerned about winding off the nut by turning it C/C. coundn't you pull the spark plug, drop it in low gear and raise the rear wheel and turn it foward to bring it up on TDC? Just a thought.

Ride Safe
                                                                            Marine5317

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/07/09 at 11:19:38

I've been through the valves twice on mine, still have a little clacking at idle.  Is this normal or am I screwing up the adjustment?  I had my brother in law check and he said I got it right.  Former mochanic.  I'm still not entirely satisfied.  But getting to the valves is a moderate pain.

thanks

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 07/07/09 at 11:20:51

A little clicking is normal, loud clacking is not.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/07/09 at 11:49:55

OK, I've got regular nice clicking.  No clacking.  And it runs nicely, except for feeling a bit lean.  I'll clean the carb (obviously needs it) and see what's what.  Probably end up rejetting, but I need to evaluate the stock setup - or whatever setup is in there!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
VanHanlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 07/09/09 at 17:15:42

Adjusted the valves.  Noise has been diminished.  Thanks guys.

2005 S40
White
1/2 spacer, Re-jet
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #13 - 07/09/09 at 19:00:11

voldigicam wrote on 07/07/09 at 11:49:55:
OK, I've got regular nice clicking.  No clacking.  And it runs nicely, except for feeling a bit lean.  I'll clean the carb (obviously needs it) and see what's what.  Probably end up rejetting, but I need to evaluate the stock setup - or whatever setup is in there!

Don't hesitate...re-jet.  Remove the brass cover over the idle mixture screw and back it out until the bike idles and runs slowly smoothly.  Remove the jet needle spacer and substitute three 3mm washers.  Install a #150 main jet.  You'll like the result.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:48:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve/Rocker question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.