Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain Conversion Sprocket Combos that WORK! (Read 106 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Chain Conversion Sprocket Combos that WORK!
07/02/09 at 23:20:29

Hey Folks... I'm wanting to compile a list of sprocket combinations that we know for a fact leave the rear axle in the proper adjustment position in it's slot; and also don't rub anywhere.

We know for a fact that the common:

17t / 43t   (t=tooth) sprocket combo works as many folks have it.

17t / 45t   is supposed to work ok; becaue Savage Greg used it. (Wish I
                had now too; because the 17/43 is too high for me.

I know someone had a problem with a 16t / ??? because he couldn't get the axle to line up in the adjustment zone.

And someone mentioned (I think it was) a 15t front sprocket being small enough that he was having trouble with the chain slapping the swing arm where it passes over.

So it would be nice if we had a list of all combinations we KNOW to work, and which ones to stay away from.

I'm wanting to do some experimenting with all ranges of gearing and need the info to keep me from buying sprockets that are of no use to me! Anyone's help on getting such a list together would be greatly appreciated!

TIA. John

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Chain Conversion Sprocket Combos that WORK!
Reply #1 - 07/02/09 at 23:51:21

16/41 works but the chain will rub the top of the swing arm when it gets loose. 108 links is too short. 109 works well. 16/43 works very well. No rubbing at all. 108 is still too short. 109 works well. My results will be a bit different from most people however as Im running a 16" gs450 wheel.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 07/03/09 at 00:09:47

BurnPgh wrote on 07/02/09 at 23:51:21:
16/41 works but the chain will rub the top of the swing arm when it gets loose. 108 links is too short. 109 works well. 16/43 works very well. No rubbing at all. 108 is still too short. 109 works well. My results will be a bit different from most people however as Im running a 16" gs450 wheel.

Thanks a lot... That's a big help BurnPgh. At least I know now that SOME 16t front combos will work, and 16/43, might be the next thing I try, instead of taking the rear sprocket up to 45 like Gregg. One tooth down on the front is actually a little lower than two teeth up on the rear! Sounds about right to me with my big old rear tire! Eventually, I'd like to take one to a low-geared extreme like 15/50 if possible. That would red-line at about 80mph, but 0-70mph should be one helluva ride!  Cheesy

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/03/09 at 00:15:12

helluva ride if you dont manage to flip yourself upside down.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/03/09 at 00:20:35

BurnPgh wrote on 07/03/09 at 00:15:12:
helluva ride if you dont manage to flip yourself upside down.

I've had plenty of MX bikes, and even an old Kawa H2 that taught me all about the potential for flipping over!  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/03/09 at 08:54:12

How about a low profile rear tire?...  
I did the opposite with a 90 profile.

I can already feel a tiny bit of tire slip with each engine pulse through first and second, if I launch hard,... any more than that and I'll just be spinnin' my wheels. (made a pun there)... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 07/03/09 at 11:01:51

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/09 at 08:54:12:
How about a low profile rear tire?...  
I did the opposite with a 90 profile.

I can already feel a tiny bit of tire slip with each engine pulse through first and second, if I launch hard,... any more than that and I'll just be spinnin' my wheels. (made a pun there)... Grin

I did the same thing before the chain conversion was worked out (got the tallest profile tire that would fit) and thus raised my gearing considerably. Not sure I would have done that had I  known that the chain conversion was going to work out, as I'm certain that the BIG FAT rear and TALL skinny front tire combo doesn't handle nearly as well as having front and rear tires which are close to the same size/profile; with the rear only being only slightly taller/fatter.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/03/09 at 11:19:35

That shouldn't be a problem,... the front is a 19",.. so taller profile on the 15" rear would make it closer to the same.  
Plus race bikes have much fatter tires on the rear, and handling is top priority for them.  Your old MX bikes had a huge difference between front and rear tire dimensions and they handled.
I saw a definite handling improvement, but I also went from the stock IRC, to Dunlop, so that probably accounts for it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 07/03/09 at 11:30:10

Yeah, most of my MX bikes were 21" on the front, but that is needed in the ruts on dirt to keep your tire from being sucked down in the holes!  Grin

And most dirt bikes are pretty fun on the street; but you have to get used to the way those big knobby tires will suddenly let go when you're leaned way over on the pavement.

Back to the main subject of my original post: I'm surprised that we've only come up with 4 chain drive combinations which have been tried by someone so far. I thought there were LOTS of conversions out there, and expected that many people had tried lots of the potential combinations... Maybe not... ?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 07/03/09 at 12:26:13

I would like this information as well. I have decided that my next mod will be a chain conversion and would love to know any and all info on what has been done. What works the best and what just down right failed miserably.

I have already been re-reading the chain conversion thread in the tech/ref section and it looks to be a fairly straight forward mod.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain Conversion Sprocket Combos that WORK!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.