Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help! OEM Heat Shield Rubbing on OEM Header!-FIXED (Read 317 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Help! OEM Heat Shield Rubbing on OEM Header!-FIXED
06/30/09 at 19:31:10

I need some advice.

I did a search and could not find a problem like mine.

I had the exhaust system off of my bike (see signature) today.

The header and muffler are both OEM items.

The heat shield is rubbing against the header.  A noticeable amount of metal has been eroded away on both of these items where they are rubbing against each other.  Oddly enough, there does not appear to be any contact in this area when the bike is not running.  It seems as if the rubbing occurs because of the engine's natural vibrations.

Here is the heat shield in its installed position:

After removing the heat shield, you can see where it's been rubbing against the header:

Here is a shot of the inboard side of the heat shield, where the rubbing is occurring:

What I think I'm looking for is some type of material (high temperature resistant padding or durable tape) that I could put between the heat shield and the header to prevent any further wear.

Or, perhaps I could add some extra washers at the rear muffler mounting point, thus raising the muffler up a bit.

I could even, instead, add some extra washers between the heat shield and the footpeg bracket, thus increasing the static separation between the heat shield and the header pipe.

Although I'm not real anal concerning the appearance of my bike, I'd like the solution to be difficult, if not impossible to see when all the parts are back in place.

Ideas?

TIA!

« Last Edit: 08/01/09 at 20:31:50 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Help! OEM Heat Shield Rubbing on OEM Header!
Reply #1 - 06/30/09 at 20:16:31

There is an exhaust manifold gasket material sold in small rolls which is thick and flexible, and will withstand the heat from your pipes.  Its not paper and I forget where I saw it, either Autozone or Kragen.  But this problem should be able to be solved by correcting whatever caused it, rather than using padding. Have you dropped the bike?  Have you checked to see that everything is tight?  Has the exhaust been dismantled and put back together at some past time...perhaps incorrectly?

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #2 - 06/30/09 at 22:58:15

mmmm Huh
...it's not really supposed to do that, I think your muffler
and/or joint are kinda lose or something; check ur back
bracket and re-pack ur joint w/fiber, good luck

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/30/09 at 23:28:09

There's supposed to be 2 pads in the back and 2 in the front.

You could wrap the pipe with exhaust tape under the heat shield.

Bet you could find some ceramic tape samples  Wink  that would do as well.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/09 at 06:44:08

Your pipe is loose dude. I have removed my pipe a few times and dont have that issue. My issue has been that the nuts dont screw back on to the heat shield as the part the nuts screw onto turns with the nut and the nut vibrates off. But I fixed that problem with lock tight. Perhaps your muffler is not mounted to the frame properly. There is a mounting arm where it bolts onto. did you positin the pipe back to its original spot and tighten your nuts at the cylinder nice and tight?

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #5 - 07/01/09 at 19:06:03

Like Verslagen said, there are little retangular pads about 3/16 -1/4 inch thick that were at one time glued inside the heat shield. I doubt if you can buy them from the dealer. If you can get hold of a new automotive brake shoe you could cut some of the lining off and make new ones. Use high temp glue, maybe J B Weld.

Ride Safe
                                                                                Marine5317

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/01/09 at 23:02:50

iS THE MUFFLER TIGHT ON THE REAR SUPPORT? cAN YOU RAISE THE MUFFLER UP A BIT IN THAT SUPPORT & GET THE CLEARANCE BACK DOWN FRONT>?

OOps dang caplox, sorry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 07/02/09 at 05:24:57

marine5317 wrote on 07/01/09 at 19:06:03:
Like Verslagen said, there are little retangular pads about 3/16 -1/4 inch thick that were at one time glued inside the heat shield. I doubt if you can buy them from the dealer.

I've seen the pads on a microfiche and I did buy them when I installed a new muffler and header.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #8 - 07/02/09 at 09:41:17

I think the header has rotated slightly outward.  A quick fix would be to loosen the header collar, muffler clamp and rear mount, then tighten them while you apply a little inward pressure to the header.  Wedge a small piece of wood or something between the shield and header as you re-torque the bolts.

When I put on a Dyna muffler I had to do that, as well as remove the asbestos pads (good riddance) and put a small washer behind the lower heat shield mount.  For some reason there was always plenty of clearance at the top of the shield, but the lower one was a PITA.  I will look for the same problem you have; thanks for the heads-up.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #9 - 07/02/09 at 13:59:11

Boule’tard wrote on 07/02/09 at 09:41:17:
I think the header has rotated slightly outward.  A quick fix would be to loosen the header collar, muffler clamp and rear mount, then tighten them while you apply a little inward pressure to the header.  Wedge a small piece of wood or something between the shield and header as you re-torque the bolts.

When I put on a Dyna muffler I had to do that, as well as remove the asbestos pads (good riddance) and put a small washer behind the lower heat shield mount.  For some reason there was always plenty of clearance at the top of the shield, but the lower one was a PITA.  I will look for the same problem you have; thanks for the heads-up.

Had the same issue with the same pipe.  I bet when that Dyna ehaust is secured to the header and then bolted into the mounting bracket the angle is a tad off.

I like your idea of putting a washer in the rear.  That is where it is tight on mine too.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 07/04/09 at 09:07:58

Well fudge, marshmellows, and crappity-smack, mine rubs too.  Without the pads the header wants to drift outward over time. I "fixed" it by folding some aluminum foil 16 layers thick, and about the same 1"x2" size as the original asbestos pads.  Then I loosened the lower acorn nut and put the aluminum pad where the pinch was tightest before tightening the nut.  If that doesn't stay put I'll switch to copper shim stock (same as I used to shim out the muffler joint) and stick it on with a dab of Autozone muffler adhesive.

Thank you Digger,  I need another exhaust leak like I need a hole in the head(er).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/08/09 at 19:02:11

verslagen1 wrote on 06/30/09 at 23:28:09:
There's supposed to be 2 pads in the back and 2 in the front.

You could wrap the pipe with exhaust tape under the heat shield.

Bet you could find some ceramic tape samples  Wink  that would do as well.

Ver,

You may be onto something here.

As can be seen in the pic below, my head shield has just one asbestos pad:

I believe it's always been this way, since I can see where this pad has been rubbing on the header pipe:

But, since there is only one rub mark like this on the header pipe, I must assume that I've only had one asbestos pad on the heat shield all along.

How many of the above-pictured rectangular asbestos pads are there supposed to be on the heat shield (my bike is in my signature)?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/08/09 at 19:08:24

Another piece to the puzzle:

There are two rubber spacers that hold the muffler out from the rear muffler stay.  The forward one on my bike (see signature) was damaged.

Here is the rear rubber spacer:

Here is the front (damaged) rubber spacer:

One wonders if the misalignment of the muffler caused by the damaged rubber spacer could cause the above-mentioned rubbing.  My gut says no, but I'll investigate further.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/08/09 at 19:10:58

pretty sure mine had 2 in front and 2 in rear and not as big as yours.
I'll try to confirm.
also my front rubber bushing is damaged on both bikes.  think it's common.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/08/09 at 19:12:44

Arthur wrote on 06/30/09 at 20:16:31:
There is an exhaust manifold gasket material sold in small rolls which is thick and flexible, and will withstand the heat from your pipes.  Its not paper and I forget where I saw it, either Autozone or Kragen.  But this problem should be able to be solved by correcting whatever caused it, rather than using padding. Have you dropped the bike?  Have you checked to see that everything is tight?  Has the exhaust been dismantled and put back together at some past time...perhaps incorrectly?

Gort,

Thanks for your input.

When I bought the bike, it had 50 miles on it.  I've never dropped it, but I suppose the PO could have.

This is the first time I've ever had the pipe off of the bike.

The padding (exhaust manifold gasket material) you mention might be a player....I'm still looking into the problem.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! OEM Heat Shield Rubbing on OEM Header!-FIXED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.