Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New carb and jet kit or not? (Read 128 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
New carb and jet kit or not?
06/29/09 at 16:05:54

I've been having trouble with my carb... getting the popping and backfire like mad ever since I got a K&N filter with Jardine exhaust. I drilled out the air mixture screw and have it at almost three turns and still getting the backfire.

I think i need to rejet, which is fine, however my savage is my only means of transportation and I do need it to get to work, so I can't have any more than a weekend hacking at it.

Lancer has the Mikuni carb listed as on sale, so I was thinking of getting that and dial-a-jet to get my bike running right.

The downsides to this are I can't have my bike under the knife for more than a weekend, and I don't see myself keeping my savage for more than another 18 months (sorry, I do way too much highway riding for a thumper).

Of course, my main complaints with my savage are a non existent top end (I've got nothing over 75... 80 tops) and the backfire, so both of those might go away...

what do you guys think? maybe $250 for carb/accesories/jet kit would be worth it?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New carb and jet kit or not?
Reply #1 - 06/29/09 at 16:22:05

If you can't hack a rejet I wouldn't recommend dial a jet
Get the rejet kit decide later when you got more time
Put the stock air filter for now

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/29/09 at 16:40:49

Yup,.. What he said..... or just buy one step higher main and half step pilot for a couple of bucks... #150/#55....  If you've only done carb/muffler it should get you close.  While you're in there replace the float bowl screws with allen heads and jet changes will take 10min. from then on.  First time may take 2hrs depending on how stuck the screws are....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/29/09 at 17:18:09

spacepirates wrote on 06/29/09 at 16:05:54:
I've been having trouble with my carb... getting the popping and backfire like mad ever since I got a K&N filter with Jardine exhaust. I drilled out the air mixture screw and have it at almost three turns and still getting the backfire.

I think i need to rejet, which is fine, however my savage is my only means of transportation and I do need it to get to work, so I can't have any more than a weekend hacking at it.

Lancer has the Mikuni carb listed as on sale, so I was thinking of getting that and dial-a-jet to get my bike running right.

The downsides to this are I can't have my bike under the knife for more than a weekend, and I don't see myself keeping my savage for more than another 18 months (sorry, I do way too much highway riding for a thumper).

Of course, my main complaints with my savage are a non existent top end (I've got nothing over 75... 80 tops) and the backfire, so both of those might go away...

what do you guys think? maybe $250 for carb/accesories/jet kit would be worth it?

Just rejet for now. For sure try a step higher in pilot and main jet like said above. DO NOT try the dial a jet if you have never rejetted before. I tried the DAJ and went through hell. I had very little time like yourself, even less time than you. I finally had a shop with experience on the daj do it.  I have great top end now. So when you have time maybe a vm and daj is at hand. I had to change my emulsion tube (needle jet) to a shorter one and got a more tapered, thinner jet needle. I didnt have time to deal with this plus correct pilot and main jetting. I could however offer you my exeperience and hard earned know how when you do want a daj lol.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 06/29/09 at 21:27:07

so what jets should I get, where can i get them, and how can i install them? do we have a how to in the technical documents section?

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 06/30/09 at 04:59:46

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 06/30/09 at 10:18:43

Found some kits on eBay for about $27 shipped. None of them have the #150/#55 so I'd have to get two of them...
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-BOULEVARD-S40-JET-KIT-STAG...)

Is there a better place online to get jets? I've looked around and most kits are about $60, which is pretty pricey.
(http://www.jcmotors.com/p-2867-dynojet-stage-1-jet-kit-for-suzuki-ls650-savag...)

--
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/30/09 at 10:23:59

I just went to my dealer to get the jets.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #8 - 06/30/09 at 10:28:09

The main jet is $4 at the dealer with $0 shipping & handling.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/30/09 at 10:45:27

Mikuni makes two kinds of main jets,... big and little.... You want the big.
Pilot jets a trickier,... best to take the old one in and have them match it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 06/30/09 at 11:21:29

spacepirates wrote on 06/30/09 at 10:18:43:
Found some kits on eBay for about $27 shipped. None of them have the #150/#55 so I'd have to get two of them...
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-BOULEVARD-S40-JET-KIT-STAG...)

Is there a better place online to get jets? I've looked around and most kits are about $60, which is pretty pricey.
(http://www.jcmotors.com/p-2867-dynojet-stage-1-jet-kit-for-suzuki-ls650-savag...)

Do not buy from that guy on e-bay, nobody here has anything good to say about him. He's a cheat. If you want a jet kit, contact Lancer, he is a member of this board and he will treat you right.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 07/01/09 at 09:17:17

Lancer's jets are cheaper anyways.

I'd go to the stealership but the one i "trust" is about an hour's ride away and while their mechanics and service dept. are great, ordering parts threw them is painful and expensive.

I think i'm going to try 152.5 and 52.5 and see where to go from there. thanks for all the advice (especially the heads up about the ebay seller), hopefully when i get the jets the operation goes well.

--
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:20:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New carb and jet kit or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.