Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will this computer work on the Savage? (Read 445 times)
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Will this computer work on the Savage?
06/29/09 at 11:27:44

Hey Everyone...

I found this at WallyWorld, picked it up for 10 bucks in the bicycle area, didn't open it yet, and kept the receipt...

It's a Schwinn M/N: SW500NM...claims to meter 0-99.9mph or KM/hr

It has the odometer, tripmeter, clock, etc.

Anyone installed this computer? work? not work?... Undecided

« Last Edit: 07/02/09 at 13:53:19 by False Illusion »  

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Re: Will this computer work on the Savage?
Reply #1 - 06/29/09 at 12:04:58

good price for a schwinn, I don't see why it shouldn't work
if installed properly and carefully, let us know how it went ok.

look here (How to install a bicycle computer expert self help video):
http://www.google.com.mx/search?hl=es&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-U...

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/29/09 at 12:17:07

Man you rock, Stimpy! Cool

I appreciate that link...!

I know there was talk of another bicycle computer being installed on the Savage and it worked fine. I wondered if that was the only brand/model that did...

I'll give it a go and report back...If it works, it's probably the cheapest odometer/tripmeter we can get!  Wink

If it doesn't , hopefully I'll save some fellow members from making a $10 mistake !  Grin

Stay Tuned, Thumper Pilots! Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 06/29/09 at 13:42:07

As long as its rated for 99mph you should be ok. I have a Sigma installed on mine and it works great. The trickiest part is to dial in the spedo so it is accurate. You need to have someting to give you a proper speed reading; the bike spedo can be inaccurate. I used a gps and I'm within a fraction of a KPH on the Sigma.

I uses crazy glue to tac the sensor in place, and did a short run to make sure it picked up the magnet properly. Once proven, I epoxied the sensor in place  and left it to cure over nite. I've got over 12,000km on the set up and not a lick of trouble with it (Knock on Wood).

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 06/29/09 at 14:23:23

Check out the tech section here too. I remember some posts that were very helpful wnem I did mine.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
S40Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/29/09 at 14:39:47

...sounds like the answer to my budget-minded prayers.

Great info here!

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #6 - 06/30/09 at 19:03:57

False Illusion wrote on 06/29/09 at 11:27:44:
Hey Everyone...

I found this at WallyWorld, picked it up for 10 bucks in the bicycle area, didn't open it yet, and kept the receipt...

It's a Schwinn M/N: SW500NM...claims to meter 0-99.9mph or KM/hr

It has the odometer, tripmeter, clock, etc.

Anyone installed this computer? work? not work?... Undecided

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/False_Illusion/DSCF0448.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen?

Preliminary findings have shown that this little gem...drum roll please... will work!

I will post pix of what it looks like on the bike. The only part I had to McGyver, was the sensor on the right fork. ( and wait till you see it...and find out what I used Grin...I'm hopin' to claim the McGyver Of The Year Award on this one!  Grin)

The sensor had to be within 1 mm of the magnet on the spoke!

Anyhoo...I have only had it up to 40mph so far. I'm hopin' everything will hold up at highway speeds Wink

I'll post the pix and give the breakdown in my next post.

...just got in from my night job so I'm hittin' the sack. 4:50am comes quick for me on nights like these...

Once again, Stay Tuned Wink

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 06/30/09 at 20:38:11

Be sure that things are attached good to the forks. I would hate to think what could happen if it let loose at highway speed Shocked

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/02/09 at 12:51:57

Well...I just got in from work. Traveled 70mph for about 20 miles and this set up worked like a charm! Cool

I'm sure someone here will improve the set up, but if not, my assembly held up to scrutiny. Wink

Here's the pix I promised...

Computer installed. (p.s. I left my dollar store bought timepiece on even though this computer has a clock. Reason?...in "Tripmeter" mode, the clock is not visible.)

Pilot's view of the computer...

Front wheel shot...That's the "False Illusion Sensor Assembly" on the fork on the left. It consists of the sensor, a Gillette Edge shaving cream lid, gloss black paint, and (4) 8" black zip ties.  Wink

A little closer...

Even closer...That's the magnet on the spoke. These two need to be within 1 mm of each other. Hence the F.I mod...

There ya are Race Fans! Cool

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/02/09 at 14:05:29

Nicely McGyver'd  Cheesy
What you can do, is use a stronger magnet (Radio Shack has 'em).  This will give you more options on placement.. just in case you want to get rid of that large black thing sitting on your fork.
My pickup is mounted up under the fender, and the magnet just sits on the rim.. by itself.  No glue, no clamps, just magnetically attached.
That has worked fine for me for thousands of miles.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/07/09 at 17:09:04

Thanks Youzguyz  Wink...I knew there had to be a better way of mounting the sensor...I just didn't let my noggin wheels spin long enough Grin

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 07/07/09 at 19:48:16

Staples has small strong board magnets in a plastic handle. They come in 6 packs for cheap. I just took pliers and liberated one magnet from its plastic handle.

It's plenty strong and sticks to the rim real well. My set up is similar to Youzguyz with the pickup under the fender. Works like a charm and no issues for about 6000 miles so far (knock on wood)

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/19/09 at 17:21:18

Very nice setup. There is a wireless schwinn counter that I am eyeing.

One question. I imagine after a ride you turn it off, does it save the tripmeter information when you turn it back on again?

Thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 07/19/09 at 17:39:15

I have one on a bicycle the information is saved,But some one on here said the wireless don't work on a motorcycle,I don't remember why.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 07/19/09 at 20:32:07

I think interference from the ignition system doesn't allow a wireless system to work.

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will this computer work on the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.