Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noob Questions about the S40 (Read 41 times)
Petra
YaBB Newbies

Its all about the
ride

GA/SC Border
Noob Questions about the S40
06/28/09 at 18:24:58

I figured if anyone could help me answer a few questions, it'd be you guys, so here goes.

I have a 2009 s40 that has a whooping 105 miles on it as of tonite. (Slow but I WILL get there....)

Anyhoo, I am wondering some things. One is that my neutral position almost feels like a gear all by itself. Often I have found that when I shift up to 2nd, or down from 2nd to 1st, that I am in neutral. And I'm not just tapping the gear shift. Granted I am not wrenching on it but I am wondering if this is something that will "loosen" up as I get more miles under my belt?

I was also wondering why my bikes "pops." It almost sounds like a backfire. Its not all the time, but its enough for me to notice.

And lastly, once I hit about 65 on my girl, its obvious she is struggling (I'd like to go at least 70 so my hubby won't leave me in the dust.) Would a jet kit take care of that for me, or would I need to invest in a new air filter/pipe as well? I want to keep my investment into this bike low since I might want to upgrade to a vtwin next summer.

Thanks in advance for any input.  Smiley

CyclChyk   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Noob Questions about the S40
Reply #1 - 06/28/09 at 18:38:39

I would just put in one size richer low speed and high speed jet,and drill out the plug and richen that up,You will get more power,If your going to trade it in next year I would keep the muffler stock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/28/09 at 18:43:01

Shifting will get smoother as it breaks in,... and as you become more accustomed.
Savage is famous for it's pops and backfires,... you'll grow to love them.
It should have no trouble doing 70mph,... but your bike is not broken in yet, so be gentle with her for a while.  Try to keep the revs under 5k, or so, and maybe talk the hubby into a couple hundred miles at 60 and under.  Don't ride for long periods without varying your speed a little once in a while.  Break-in should take about 600 or 800 miles,... then do an oil and filter change.  It will have some metal shavings in it,... that won't happen much after the beak-in.
Ride safe.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #3 - 06/28/09 at 18:49:24

Neutral: My bike has over 18K on it and I tend to hit Neutral now and again when I don't expect it.  I would expect it to get a little better, both from loosening a little and you'll get used to the bike more.

The popping is because your bike is set really lean.  That is also your power problem.  Most people seem to put on a Sporty/Dyna muffler, rejet, K&N filter, remove or all of the white spacer for the pilot needle, and drill out the brass plug on the carb and adjust the air/fuel mixture.

My bike was struggling at 65-70, and I did all of those mods above, just a different muffler.  Now I can go 80-85 with no problems.  I also found that I didn't have to shift gears as often as they seem to stretch a little more.

You can search for most of the mods on this site.  Just know that most people, myself included, have to tweak the bike afterwords as you may have stalling issues until get it just right.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:24:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noob Questions about the S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.