Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil mistake (Read 130 times)
oksavage

oil mistake
06/28/09 at 15:15:26

I grabbed a couple of quarts of 20w50 synthetic to change my oil the other day. When I got home I realized that the packages were different.  Both the same brand, Lucas, but is 20w50 and the other is SAE 20w50 are they the same or am I making a return trip?

IP Logged
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Re: oil mistake
Reply #1 - 06/28/09 at 15:20:18

SAE is just a standard, make sure that that the oil is for Motorcycle's (because of clutch slippage). If it is noted that it is safe for motorcycles then your fine.

Also once you go to synthetic, make sure to continue using synthetic oil. I just use non-synthetic motorcycle oil and change it about every 1000-1500 miles. Never had any problems

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/28/09 at 15:24:47

Do they both say synthetic

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #3 - 06/28/09 at 17:51:10

yes both synthetic, I really think it is just a change in packaging

IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #4 - 06/28/09 at 19:04:26

oksavage wrote on 06/28/09 at 15:15:26:
I grabbed a couple of quarts of 20w50 synthetic to change my oil the other day. When I got home I realized that the packages were different.  Both the same brand, Lucas, but is 20w50 and the other is SAE 20w50 are they the same or am I making a return trip?
If they are both motorcycle oils and state that they are safe for use with a wet clutch (JASO MA) they will work just fine. You can mix half synthetic and half mineral oil and it will do no harm.(except diluting the synthetic and reducing the benefits) You can change back and forth every other oil change from synthetic to mineral oil and you will have no ill effects except the lack of benefits of synthetics for the time you have the mineral oil in the bike.  Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 06/29/09 at 10:47:14

I'm not sure Lucas 20W-50 PLUS would be OK in a motorcycle clutch due to the high level of anti friction additive.  Lucas red label 20W-50 or their motorcycle 20W-50 are listed on their data sheet as being OK.

I'm not a Lucas fan anyway, and I don't know who's blending the oil for them nor exactly what is in it.  I'd rather use a 5W-40 diesel synthetic motor oil or any xW-50 syn motorcycle oil.  Lucas seems to be more hype than fact from what I've seen.  I've seen examples of how their oil stabilizer causes foaming in gear oil, and never had any oil that needed to be stabilized, anyway.  My policy is that none of us can home-brew better oil than the oil company chemists can blend to meet any specified price point.  If I want better oil, I buy better oil.

SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers, and SAE 20W-50 or whatever is technically the correct way to specify an engine oil viscosity grade.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #6 - 06/30/09 at 05:46:18

I've just change my oil. This time I used a synthetic for the first time. I think my baby loves me!!! What difference in the sound and feel of the engine. A world of difference.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #7 - 06/30/09 at 07:00:21

Now I am NOT, repeat NOT trying to start an oil war, but I switched from dino to synth and am using the Rotella stuff for diesels.  Both bikes run great...

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/30/09 at 07:15:07

Good god man that stuff isn't officially approved for bikes
The mfr has only tested it and not applied for the rating
How do you know the great mc gods will approve?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil mistake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.