Send Topic Print
Exhaust leak help (Read 91 times)
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Exhaust leak help
06/27/09 at 19:04:24

First of all I would like to thank everyone here for the great help.  I completed the white spacer mod today.  I know the wrenching involved may be second nature for you...but I am a programmer and this stuff is so "new" to me.  I got the carb out easy enough.  After reading here I decided to remove the battery box so it would be easier..and it was.

Fortunately for me all the carb screws came out.  I replaced the white spacer with a #4 nylon spacer which was about 1/2 thickness.  Everything went good.  I replaced the 4 top screws with new hex cap screws so I'll be OK next time.

While I was in there, I adjusted the mixture screw (2 1/2 turns out) and did the spark plug door mod.

The hardest part was getting the bloody tank back on..but I managed.

I took it for a spin and believe it was a bit better on the back firing but it still had a few BANGS.

That brings me to my question.

I noticed there is a good amount of air coming from where the muffler attaches to the head pipe.

I have two options.  I have a sportster pipe (and the reducer sleeve to fit) that I could put on.

Or I can try to fix the exhaust leak with the stock muffler.

First of all, can i get away with putting the sportster (all baffles intact) on WITHOUT a rejet?  What would be the result?  

If I want to fix the exhaust leak...how would I do that?  Is their a sealant I can put in there?  I have some high temp RTV sealant...would that work?  

Thanks!!!!!!

IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Re: Exhaust leak help
Reply #1 - 06/28/09 at 21:24:13

Well I was going to put on the sportster muffler on the bike but then I read that the dyne was better.  And as luck would have it I just replaced the exhaust on my Wide Glide so I had some good pipes.  these are definitely easier.  It was a direct mount and the stock support bar worked perfect.  

I cut up some aluminum cans and used some RTV sealant and used the harley clamps and went tight.  Put it all together, fired it up, and while it was still cool I felt around as much as possible to see if I could detect any leak.  and I didn't.  

Haven't taken it out yet..that will be tomorrow.  Give some time for the RTV sealant to cure.

Seeing that I am on a roll I want to get a rejet in.  The wife and I are taking the bikes to Kentucky (we're in the canadian prairies) in mid july.  I am going to call the local 'zuki shop to see if they can get me a rejet kit.   I read that Lancer sells a good kit but I am not sure it would get here in time.

Anyways...with a Dyna exhaust and stock air filter... what needle sizes do I want?  I know every bike is different...but what would be a good start?  (as mentioned earlier..white spacer mod to 1/2 thickness was also done)

So..jet size recommendation??

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/28/09 at 21:52:08

Heck, you don't need our help,... you're doin' great on your own!....
Grin
But I can't resist blabbin'.... Grin
Rejet,... start modest, try a #150 main and open up the idle mix screw.  See what you think.  If you go to a k/n air filter, try a #152.5 main and a #55 pilot...

Use this as a general guide...

A good indicator of overall jetting is the weather...if popping/backfiring increases on humid days, or at higher elevation, that indicates rich....less popping on those days indicates lean.

To test the main, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #3 - 06/29/09 at 06:22:04

Thanks Smiley

So on your recommended start..does that mean just replace the main and leave the pilot stock?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/29/09 at 10:03:27

That's just what I would do....  Replace those 4 float bowl Phillips screws with allen heads and changes are easy from there on out.  If you have to go more than 3 turns out with the idle mix screw (right-side under brass plug), then go up a step on the pilot jet.  A bigger pilot jet will greatly effect your cruising gas mileage.
Elevation makes a big difference ....  The higher you are, the leaner your jetting.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #5 - 06/29/09 at 12:07:02

Stopped in at the STEALER and ordered the jet kit.  $80 bucks.  If I had time I would order it elsewhere .. but he said it would be there tomorrow morning... and time is an issue right now.

He said it would be 2 weeks to get a carb gasket...so I am hoping I don't mess up the one I got!

(This wrenching is kinda fun...so long as the results continue to be positive..if they are not...it will suck  Wink )

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #6 - 06/29/09 at 16:40:26

It's a shame you didn't contact Lancer sooner. His jet kit includes everything and it's $25. Also Lancer can give you the straight scoop on any carb question you'll ever have.
                                                                               Ride Safe
                                                                               Marine5317

IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #7 - 06/29/09 at 16:49:51

marine5317 wrote on 06/29/09 at 16:40:26:
It's a shame you didn't contact Lancer sooner. His jet kit includes everything and it's $25. Also Lancer can give you the straight scoop on any carb question you'll ever have.
                                                                               Ride Safe
                                                                               Marine5317

I know.   All I wanted to do was have the bike stop backfiring...and one thing led to another and another..lol

I took the bike out with the new dyna pipe.  Sounded real nice but she was back (after?) firing alot.  Before it was just on decel..now it is on accel as well...but I suspect it is even more lean.  The rejet will HOPEFULLY fix some of that.

Course I noticed some smoke from the exhaust..but then realized my aluminum cans I used to help fill the gap between the header and muffler were burning their paint off I think  Grin

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/09 at 17:37:25

trapper_canada wrote on 06/29/09 at 16:49:51:
marine5317 wrote on 06/29/09 at 16:40:26:
                                                                               Ride Safe
                                                                               Marine5317

I know.   All I wanted to do was have the bike stop backfiring...and one thing led to another and another..lol

I took the bike out with the new dyna pipe.  Sounded real nice but she was back (after?) firing alot.  Before it was just on decel..now it is on accel as well...but I suspect it is even more lean.  The rejet will HOPEFULLY fix some of that.

Course I noticed some smoke from the exhaust..but then realized my aluminum cans I used to help fill the gap between the header and muffler were burning their paint off I think  Grin

80$???? WAhhh. I paid 65$ for mine here in Ottawa lol. Man oh man. You can go to almost any shop and get all the parts separately for 25$ max. I got my mains and pilots at a yamaha dealer lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust leak help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.