Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
header wrap installed!! (Read 456 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: header wrap installed!!
Reply #15 - 06/29/09 at 11:24:33

Balderdash wrote on 06/29/09 at 10:57:47:
Rocco wrote on 06/29/09 at 10:46:16:
that may be in order! can i just take them off? or i'll paint em black after i see how hard the muffler support is to paint!

One bolt can't come off the chrome engine cover on the left side unless you remove the head (it's an upside down bolt)

Actually you only need to remove the head cover to get that bolt out, not the entire head.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #16 - 06/29/09 at 11:39:22

awesome! thank u sir! what are your thoughts on the work in progress? i know you've done a little customizing yourself!  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #17 - 06/29/09 at 12:07:41

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 06/29/09 at 11:24:33:
Actually you only need to remove the head cover to get that bolt out, not the entire head.

True enough, but the head cover in this case is 12 bolts of different lengths and they should be replaced instead of re-torqued when they are removed, and you need to liquid gasket the entire thing to reinstall it, it's NOT like a valve cover at all.  I wouldn't want to take it off just to remove the chrome cover.  

It would be easier to buy a replacement bolt for the chrome cover should you ever want to reinstall it, that would be easier.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 06/29/09 at 12:48:34

i see.....hmmmmm....got the gears turning! i'm open to any input as long as flat black or ratty-ness is involved! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
DirtySavage
YaBB Newbies

Wow, wow.. Pow, pow!

Reply #19 - 07/27/09 at 08:05:54

I have been considering doing some Linex or undercoat on some of the bike parts.  Adding texture to the parts also gives it a good look.  Linex is tuff stuff and I'm pretty sure you can paint it.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #20 - 07/27/09 at 10:35:34

Balderdash wrote on 06/29/09 at 10:57:47:
Rocco wrote on 06/29/09 at 10:46:16:
that may be in order! can i just take them off? or i'll paint em black after i see how hard the muffler support is to paint!

One bolt can't come off the chrome engine cover on the left side unless you remove the head (it's an upside down bolt), you could cut it off through the fins but then you can't replace it later.  

I left my chrome covers off the last time I had the head off to replace the cam chain, I don't have any problems with the covers off less need to take the tank off for regular maintenance now.

The bolt in question can be removed.  But you don't have to remove the head, just the cam assembly that covers the head, a much easier job than removing the head.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/27/09 at 16:34:50

What is the purpose of wrapping the exhaust pipe?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/27/09 at 17:51:59

voldigicam wrote on 07/27/09 at 16:34:50:
What is the purpose of wrapping the exhaust pipe?

For me it is purely esthetic.  I love the look.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 07/28/09 at 17:28:19

Ignoring esthetics, probably impossible on a motorcycle board, the pipe wrap is an insulator. It can serve different purposes. It can insulate the surroundings, as when the pipe must run close to some other heat-sensitive part such as a fuel pump or a hydraulic slave cylinder. Or it can keep the heat in the pipe, such as when using a turbocharger where the exhaust heat makes the turbo more efficient. Wrapping a chrome motorcycle pipe is probably a sure way to make the pipe turn blue - or worse - so once it is done you can probably forget undoing it unless you replace the pipe or do not care about its appearance.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 07/29/09 at 08:05:21

Or it can keep the heat in the pipe, such as when using a turbocharger where the exhaust heat makes the turbo more efficient.

I can see that between exhaust valve & turbo, but after the turbo it doesnt matter, does it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #25 - 07/29/09 at 10:09:09

I have wrap on my pipe so I know the look isn't for everybody.

Here's how I reply when somebody says to me:
"Why your bike sure is ugly!
"Maybe, but you're fn lookin at it! Ain't ya?"
Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 07/29/09 at 12:33:56

I think header wrap looks awesome ... especially if a tidy job is done ... Rats n' Bobbers are cool too! My LS is stock ... and will likely remain so for this season ... but I honestly dunno if I can hold out much longer before I Bobber-ize it!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 07/29/09 at 12:56:54

I wrap part of my header and pipe to protect my polyester blend pants from melting so durn frequently.   Looks OK to me, does the intended job.  

I prefer white but wind up dying the stuff with hot black paint once it gets stained up good with motor oil drooling from the air box.   Black isn't as pretty as white to me, but it looks better over the years as it hides all stains and is a renewable finish.  

And no, you can't paint it with hot white paint as the oil that impregnated the fiberglass stripping comes right on out through the white paint once it gets hot a time or two.

Black, she don't really matter if it tries to bleed through or not.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #28 - 07/29/09 at 14:17:38

Balderdash wrote on 06/29/09 at 12:07:41:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 06/29/09 at 11:24:33:

True enough, but the head cover in this case is 12 bolts of different lengths and they should be replaced instead of re-torqued when they are removed, and you need to liquid gasket the entire thing to reinstall it, it's NOT like a valve cover at all.  I wouldn't want to take it off just to remove the chrome cover.  

It would be easier to buy a replacement bolt for the chrome cover should you ever want to reinstall it, that would be easier.

Just cut a piece of scrap fuel hose to slip over the bolt, then loc-tite the original nut and a washer on top to keep everything from rattling.

IP Logged
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Reply #29 - 08/11/09 at 10:07:28

about the cover issue. I removed the bolt when I rebuilt the motor and I tapped the hole and got a bolt that is a bit bigger than the others so that I can install the covers later without having to take anything apart. If you just cut off the head of the bolt and remove it, you can do the same thing with a tap and new bolt that threads in from the top like the other three. I personally like the covers removed with the black out. I like that wrap you put on there. I was thinking of wrapping the lower end of my pipe with white between the heat shield and the muff, but I am still up in the air about it. how do think that would look?...

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › header wrap installed!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.