Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charging System Failure Question (Read 87 times)
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11
 ::cry::

Santa Cruz, CA
Charging System Failure Question
06/25/09 at 17:33:01

Hello everybody!  Let me first preface this question by asserting that I am an idiot.  With that now out of the way...

I tried to jump start my dead battery with the leads connected from a car to the motorcycle... except, on the motorcycle, black was connected to positive and red was connected to negative.  (In my defense, there was a black cover over the positive lead, but anyhow...)  Naturally, this just shorted out the car battery.  Then I did something even more stupid and turned on the car engine and tried this...  of course this caused yet another (even worse) short.  Then I did the most stupid thing of all and tried connecting this to the ground terminal of the battery with the black cover (which was actually positive).  

This is when my headlights wouldn't light up anymore.  Fortunately, I had learned, that I blew a fuse.  I replaced it, got the bike started, then quickly noted that the charging system no longer worked.  

I tested this with a multimeter hooked at the battery terminals, reading only 12 volts at 5000rpm (should be 14-15V).  Also, I verified the stator-alternator leads (hooking up to the voltage regulator) had continuity between all 3 leads.  

Anyone have any idea why my bike will not charge anymore?  

Thanks.  

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Charging System Failure Question
Reply #1 - 06/25/09 at 17:48:39

I wouldn't say your were an idiot, but it was a great big oops.

I can't help you out because I do not know much about the electrical system. There are a few here who do know, maybe they'll chime in soon.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 06/25/09 at 18:22:59

I think you are going to be looking for a new voltage regulator. Count yourself lucky the motorcycle still runs, because that means you didn't destroy the ignition box as well. Solid-state stuff usually takes umbrage at reversed voltage.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11

Santa Cruz, CA
Reply #3 - 06/25/09 at 19:31:26

Thanks!  

I've tested test resistances of the leads in the regulator-rectifier and they are indeed incorrect.  So I most certainly destroyed this device.  I hope this is the extent of the damage.  

I'll acquire another one and see if that fixes it.  Thanks again!

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11

Santa Cruz, CA
Reply #4 - 07/02/09 at 16:53:32

Ok, so I acquired a known and working voltage regulator-rectifier.  The problem still persists: the battery does not charge itself.  

At ~5000 RPM voltage across the battery terminals still reads a little over 12V.  Also, the batter does retain *some* charge because the headlight remains powered for a while after the motorcycle is jumped from a working battery.  

Any ideas?

Thanks

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charging System Failure Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!