Road Trip.... (Read 398 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Road Trip....
Reply #15 - 06/26/09 at 19:44:30

Rocco wrote on 06/26/09 at 18:59:47:
yeah i need to have a spare made...no home depot though...they don't have the size. would it be cheaper to go to a dealer or a locksmith?

There's a place/guy online that does that.When I find the link I'll send it to you.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #16 - 06/26/09 at 20:25:18

In April this year I went from Lakewood CO to Las Vegas NV via Albuquerque NM, then back up through Grand Junction CO and I-70, about 1800 miles round trip. My 2008 S40 did well but had difficulties with headwinds and mileage dropped significantly trying to maintain 70-75 MPH. The 65 MPH cruise recommended earlier in this thread is probably a good idea if you have the time. I was earning an IBA certification on the way out, so time was a priority. Took 19 hours to cover 1000+ miles.

I highly recommend taking a spare 1 gallon gas can. I got a gel seat for the trip, but the stock seat is a little wider and I believe more comfortable now that I have used both. I also purchased a sissy bar and when used with a tail bag it made a nice backrest/lumbar support. Take a cell and get towing insurance and a minimal tool kit. I packed way too many tools considering what I would really do on the side of the road if there was a break down. Cereal bars, beef jerky and vitamin water kept me fed, alert and hydrated and an MP3 player made the long distances more enjoyable.

Good luck and ENJOY! Cool

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 06/26/09 at 21:45:16

I agree with Smilinldr. The 65mph seems to be a sweet spot for the Savage on the highway. Also the bag on the pillion works great for a backrest. I was quite comfortable on my weekend trip. One day we will be gone for longer and be comfortable doing it.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #18 - 06/28/09 at 21:27:40

My first road trip was a 1200 mile round trip to Oregon. I made several 120 to 180 mile day trips as a warmup, testing out my limits and modifying the saddle (a work still in progress). I packed up the bike the weekend before I left and made a ten mile trip around the block just as a final test.

Good tires, spare oil, and tools. Snacks and WATER -- If you're in New Mexico, you know about water.

Ended up buying a 1 gallon gas can after pulling into a town and finding out that the only gas station had gone out of business the month before.

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

love my zuki! :)

New Mexico
Reply #19 - 07/06/09 at 13:21:13

We are back! It was a blast, and I am going to try to figure out how to post pictures, and put as many as I can on here. We didn't really get that many on the road, but a lot in Washington.  We made the ride in 2 days it was about 1300 miles each way. It was a long two days, but we only had 9 days of vacation, so we wanted to have as much time on the island as we could.

Sugestions, get the gel seat, the butt really starts to hurt. I have the crash bars (which don't really stick out far enough to do much good) but I should have gotten the additional footpegs for the crash bars, it would have made a huge difference.

It was a great trip, and it is good to be home! Smiley

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #20 - 07/07/09 at 14:20:28

I have another suggestion for anyone that is going to ride a savage on a long distance trip. These bikes don't have a tripometer (as you all know!) so I would write down the mileage at the time we filled up, so that I would know how far I had gone since last fill up (which is important with such a small fuel tank!). The best thing I found was to use a dry erase marker, and write it on the fuel cap, it is chrome, so it reflects light, and easy to see. This worked better than writting it on the glass cover for the speedo, which I also tried. The dry erase marker held up when we hit rain, and whiped clean with your finger tip. I just thought I would share the pointer with everyone! Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 07/07/09 at 16:09:10

Are you saying you went 1300 miles in a day

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/07/09 at 16:46:53

I think he means 1300k in 2 days. Still...650mi a day is very very respectable.

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #23 - 07/09/09 at 13:59:31

i am a she, and it was about 1300 to 1400 each way, and that was over the course of two days. my bike started with 2,606 miles on it when we left our house, and had 5,420 when we got back. and the totalk days on the road was 4. 2 days each way. It was good considering I have only been riding for about a month and a half.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 07/10/09 at 20:13:21

Looking forward to seeing the pics!!

Glad you are back,safe and sound Smiley
(and had much fun!)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 07/11/09 at 03:56:37

jowamf wrote on 07/09/09 at 13:59:31:
i am a she, and it was about 1300 to 1400 each way, and that was over the course of two days. my bike started with 2,606 miles on it when we left our house, and had 5,420 when we got back. and the totalk days on the road was 4. 2 days each way. It was good considering I have only been riding for about a month and a half.

That is a lot of miles in a day,My and my wifes most was 550 miles and had been riding for 5 years,And on a bike with better seat and over all ride.Only about 100 miles were freeway miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Road Trip....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.