foot pegs (Read 1513 times)
JaniceM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW PA
foot pegs
06/24/09 at 21:10:30

I have seen a lot of posts that foot pegs were changed, often using Harley ones machined in some way.  I am searching for a smaller foot peg (OK, a set so they don't look stupid!), preferably that will be easy to adapt.  But, I am willing to adapt one if need be.  No one has been very specific--it seems a lot of Sporty things are adapted--or are their other HD or Hondas or Suzuki models that might offer smaller foot pegs that anyone has tried?  Maybe I will get used to the awkwardness of these (a lot since the accident I suppose), but when I sit on hubby's with the smaller pegs, my shifting pattern seems so much easier!  Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Janice
stock 2007 s40 pegs on it now, although right one slightly trashed...

Chaos...where great dreams begin.
2007 S40
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: foot pegs
Reply #1 - 06/25/09 at 08:22:37

Janice,
A harley male mount can be adapted to fit your bike, and I suppose you can find smaller pegs. But you'll need to drill out the hole larger to accept the bolt our bike uses, and then there will be a lot of slop which needs to be addressed using some kind of spacers to tighten up the peg and get it to hang properly. Not as much trouble as it sounds but you need tools to acomplish this if you want to adapt a harley peg. Maybe there are other choices not needing work?
Sevier

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 06/25/09 at 09:07:28

JaniceM,what ya think about floorboards?

I'm sure whatever you decide on your hubby could put them on for you,right?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
JaniceM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW PA
Reply #3 - 07/07/09 at 21:09:15

I think floorboards are the way to go, with the trouble I have been having.  Actually, I am the more mechanical of the two of us.  He offers, but my Dad was a master mechanic and had his own garage.  I was running for tools and working on cars as soon as I could toddle!

It just seems my pegs are too big for my ..big feet.  I just got my new metric J & P catalog, but I haven't looked up what might be matching with ours, and nothing is listed for s40--only s50 and up.

Chaos...where great dreams begin.
2007 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/07/09 at 23:22:45

I may be misunderstanding the problem,... but I think an adjustment of the shift lever would help.
You don't adjust the lever itself,... follow the path from the lever to the shift rod, to the shifter arm on the shaft, and loosen the bolt there,... the shaft is notched, pull the shifter arm off and reset it, a few teeth off, to raise the lever...
Looks kinda' like this,.... although this one is from a different bike....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 07/08/09 at 04:19:40

JaniceM wrote on 07/07/09 at 21:09:15:
I think floorboards are the way to go, with the trouble I have been having.  Actually, I am the more mechanical of the two of us.  He offers, but my Dad was a master mechanic and had his own garage.  I was running for tools and working on cars as soon as I could toddle!

It just seems my pegs are too big for my ..big feet.  I just got my new metric J & P catalog, but I haven't looked up what might be matching with ours, and nothing is listed for s40--only s50 and up.

Look at the topic here for Floorboards....same section.(Pics and details)
Those are the ones I'm getting for my bike.
Mine is a Savage 2002.
But would fit your bike also....I think those are the ones most used here.
( If in doubt,Ask the "Guys" here.......they know everything Wink

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #6 - 07/08/09 at 06:31:05

Thanks to Janice for asking the question in the first place because now thanks to Serowbot, I now know how to resolve my problem. My feet are too big to fit under the gear shift in its current position. I never thought to make the adjustment suggested by Serowbot, excellent.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #7 - 07/08/09 at 07:11:08

Serowbot wrote on 07/07/09 at 23:22:45:
I may be misunderstanding the problem,... but I think an adjustment of the shift lever would help.
You don't adjust the lever itself,... follow the path from the lever to the shift rod, to the shifter arm on the shaft, and loosen the bolt there,... the shaft is notched, pull the shifter arm off and reset it, a few teeth off, to raise the lever...

And that's exactly the wrong place to make an adjustment. Keep the shifter arm elbow at 90 degrees to shifter rod movement and use the adjuster in the rod if there's one provided. With a shifter linkage, moving tha arm a few splines gives you less leverage and less precise shifting.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 07/08/09 at 08:07:49

I personally never thought about a adjustment for the shift lever.Didnt know you could do that!

But,I use to have to pick my foot up off the peg and move it to apply the foot/rear brake. Roll Eyes
I did get that adjusted! Thank goodness Wink

(I'm going to look into the shift lever now,but...that may be fine with the floorboards...will see when I get them....I would think so  Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/08/09 at 09:56:57

SV og LS wrote on 07/08/09 at 07:11:08:
Serowbot wrote on 07/07/09 at 23:22:45:

And that's exactly the wrong place to make an adjustment. Keep the shifter arm elbow at 90 degrees to shifter rod movement and use the adjuster in the rod if there's one provided. With a shifter linkage, moving tha arm a few splines gives you less leverage and less precise shifting.

Yes, sorry good point... as long as there is room for adjustment in the shaft, do it there....
Nice catch SV.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/19/11 at 12:39:19

An additional way to make HD pegs fit is to take the bolt that holds your stock peg with you and your new pegs into Lowes and root around til you find the right size replacement stainless allen head bolt and a brass collar that fits in the hole. You may need to add some stainless washers to fill some of the slop, but it is a heck of alot easier than trying to drill out the hole on custom pegs.

A used pair of ISO pegs off a HD that I adapted to mine:

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #11 - 07/19/11 at 17:20:36

I did what EJID did. I went to the hardware store and got allen head bolts that fit and then used stainless steel spacers and a couple of washers to take out the slack. It is a bit of a pain to drill stuff out, compared to finding bolts. I too, used ISO pegs.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 07/20/11 at 05:26:23

Instead of drilling the hole in the footpeg bigger, I ground (grinded?) down the collar of the allen bolt so it would fit.  Worked fine for me.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/27/18 at 06:24:23

Just bought some HD footpegs, guessing they came off of a Sportster. Does anyone know the actual size of the bolt and spacers needed to fit into the mount? The right front footpeg has a bolt with (for lack of better word/knowledge) tapered end. My left front foot peg was being held in place by a drywall screw. I didn't realize until I dropped the bike after forgetting to turn the gas on and broke the footpeg and spent a half hour drilling the bolt out.
Anyway, sizes would be helpful. If not, I will be updating the post myself in a few days after a trip to Lowe's with footpeg(s) and bolts in hand.

IP Logged
REMTB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - 12/01/21 at 22:01:35

Yeah gday,

Sorry for the reheat of this thread but cant find any other info anywhere else. Can someone give me more insight into how to stop forward and back movement in the adapted harley pegs? washer make snuyg fit and stop the up and down movement but without the hook theres still alot of play and they sit too far forward.

Cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:03:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › foot pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.