a little paint work! (Read 104 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
a little paint work!
06/24/09 at 18:20:32

here's the front fender and side panels painted, i got the header wrap and i'm goin to put a logo on the battery box. then i'm gonna do something different with the tank...gotta have a little suspense. what do u guys think? not bad for first time, 2 o clock in the morning, in the backyard! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: a little paint work!
Reply #1 - 06/24/09 at 18:41:58

Honestly, without clear coat that paint is gonna come off with any rain or debris hitting it. What sort of paint did you use? If you used high temp paint I hope that you at least cured the pieces in the oven with the correct method. Curing will help the paint to hold up.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 06/24/09 at 20:10:13

Or it will make the paint bubble up as it did for me. I was not happy, I had to start over for the 3rd time on this god for saken tank.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 06/24/09 at 20:34:36

odvelasc wrote on 06/24/09 at 18:41:58:
Honestly, without clear coat that paint is gonna come off with any rain or debris hitting it. What sort of paint did you use? If you used high temp paint I hope that you at least cured the pieces in the oven with the correct method. Curing will help the paint to hold up.

I painted my bobbed rear fender, scuffed it with 80 grit, then 220, then a Scotch red pad and wiped it down with some Total Prep. Layed about 3-5 layers of primer, 3-5 layers of flat black and it still holds it color only place where there isn't any paint is where the tire rubbed when I bottomed out.

I repainted it again a day or 2 ago though so everything is dandy. Just don't spill any gas on it and your golden.

Looking good though Rocco!

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 06/24/09 at 22:49:15

i used rustoleum flat protective enamel lol it was the best i could find @ walmart!

and i don't mind having to touch it up, i'm goin for the ratty look. so no curing or anything, and i used 400 grit and just got it smooth then did one layer of black. it was black to begin with so i guess it didn't need much.

and thanks kevin! you'll love the tank idea i have then, you're the only one who knows. i bought a kit from home depot that goes from coarse to fine grit and i think that should do the job. i have to take the tank off to do it though, so i might hold off on that so i can ride!

i don't have any help for the header wrap til friday so i have to wait...kinda sux but what can u do! i think she's coming along nicely!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #5 - 06/25/09 at 11:30:29

Nice lookin' bike!

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a little paint work!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.