Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Starting and running issues (Read 347 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Starting and running issues
Reply #15 - 07/07/09 at 20:51:51

David,

Here's a test for to check if your petcock diaphragm is leaking fuel into the intake manifold:

Crimp the petcock vacuum line so that nothing can get through it.

Select PRI on your petcock and ride the bike.  If it runs good like that, you most likely have a leak in the petcock diaphragm that allows gas to leak directly into the intake manifold, causing a rich condition.

You can ride it like this, but don't forget to select ON or RES on the petcock before walking away from the bike.

Report back up w/ your findings, please - good luck!

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 07/07/09 at 20:55:06

Serowbot wrote on 07/01/09 at 10:39:03:
....You will have to cap off the vac line at the carb.  I put a screw in it.... rubber caps will rot away every couple of months and cause a vacuum leak.....

Good tip.

Here is another way to cheaply plug the carb's vacuum port:

I just snipped off a section of the OEM vacuum line, squeezed some silicone sealant into it, folded it over and secured it with two small zip-ties.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/08/09 at 08:39:48

Ok so I installed the new petcock. Got my carb back from the guy doing the thorough cleaning and reinstalled everything. I did end up just using a screw with some liquid gasket to plug the vacuum line. Now it IS up and running but it's running like it's at almost full throttle when it's idling. When I give it some throttle it doesn't seem to change much other than a little sputtering.  Does that mean I've got something a little screwy inside the carb that's allowing too much through? When I reinstalled the jets I just screwed them in snug but not overly tight as it seemed that's the way they were in there before.

Thanks

IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/08/09 at 10:48:08

Just another little update with symptoms. I tried adjusting the idle mixture with no change. I tried squirting some starter fluid around the carb and around the air intake with no change. It just seems like it's getting too much fuel. I feel like it's something silly I'm just missing now. It still has no change when I open up the throttle also. Choke seems to have very little or no effect. It starts great and fast but it just runs hard and stays that way.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 07/08/09 at 11:02:23

I know I'm wrong,... but the symptom sounds like the petcock fuel line is routed to the vacuum tap on the carb instead of the fuel.  Fuel is on the left/shifter side,... vacuum is on the right/ brake side.

O.k.,... with that said, and not the problem, you have something very wrong in the carb, or the throttle cable is stuck or miss adjusted...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/08/09 at 13:57:54

Hehe yea I'm a newb but I do have the fuel going to the fuel line. And i double checked to make sure the vac line is the one I plugged. I have the manual so I can find most parts and triple check them. But obviously the manual doesn't go into the stuff they don't think you should be messing with.
 I've played with the throttle cable a little and it seems to sitting correctly. It just doesn't add anything to the mix when I give it throttle. I tweaked the idle speed up and down a little and it changed a tiny tiny bit but not by much. I'm guessing as you said. Something i did inside the carb that's leaving it stuck wide or almost wide open. But after riding it before I know it's not full open. If i had to guess I'd say it feels stuck somewhere around 30-50%.
 The only rel CHANGES I can think of that I introduced was cleaning the carb which wasn't really that dirty when checked and lowering the float height about 2mm.Which from what I understand would actually close it earlier and not force it to give more fuel??
 May be time to take it to a professional. Hate to pay it but I want it to ride this summer!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/08/09 at 14:04:28

check the cable, did you push it all the way into the socket?

does it return all the way to the stop?

Next, open the top of the carb, make sure the spring is properly installed in the slide.

WWW   IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/08/09 at 14:27:41

The throttle does return to the stop. It idles on the stop but it's just idling high.

Ok here is another tidbit. I took off the top of the ca to check the spring and it seemed to sit correctly centered up to the top of the carb. However after i put the top back on and tried starting it it seemed to idle a little lower and I was able to give it some throttle and raise and lower the rpm. Felt like it idles closer to 10-20% and I was able to raise it to 50-60%.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 07/08/09 at 15:24:15

Take the air cleaner boot off and check the slide does it open easily?

WWW   IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/08/09 at 15:39:11

Not sure I understand your instructions. Do you just mean remove the carb from the boot and check how easily it slides off the boot? Or do you mean check the slide in the carb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 07/08/09 at 16:21:53

sorry
take the boot off the carb from the air cleaner side.
reach in with your finger and check the slide action.
is it smooth?
is it sticky?

WWW   IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 07/08/09 at 16:43:11

Smooth and moves easily.However now it doesn't seem to want to start at all. It was like this just before taking the boot off and then back on also so I don't think that's an issue. I pulled the plug again just now and it's black again but doesn't seem wet.
 Could I be looking at multiple problems that are throwing me these different symptoms? I've heard possible valve issues or timing? maybe these combines with not being able to correctly tune the carb is giving me these symptom changes off and on.

IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/08/09 at 19:37:36

Looks like with it running so hard and so rich while testing I killed the spark plug. That's obviously why it won't start now and could be part of some of the other issues. I'll grab a couple new ones tomorrow and start testing again. I know I need to get that fuel flow down or I'll keep fowling the plugs. The new petcock will stop the fuel filling it up while it's not running and I can figure out if there is a problem somewhere else.
 Had my mechanic friend take a look at the carb tonight and said everything seemed to be in order as far as he could tell but without it starting he can't get a better diagnosis. So more tomorrow.
Thanks again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 07/08/09 at 20:31:05

David M Smith wrote on 07/08/09 at 16:43:11:
 Smooth and moves easily.However now it doesn't seem to want to start at all. It was like this just before taking the boot off and then back on also so I don't think that's an issue. I pulled the plug again just now and it's black again but doesn't seem wet.
 Could I be looking at multiple problems that are throwing me these different symptoms? I've heard possible valve issues or timing? maybe these combines with not being able to correctly tune the carb is giving me these symptom changes off and on.

Unless it sounds like someone dropped a pocket full of change in there shouldn't be the cam chain or timing.  Leaving the boot off or taking the air filter off should solve an overly rich condition.  Here's a question for you... did you see the jets?  are they loose or did he forget to put them in?  Drop the bowl and take a peek.  see what number it is too.

WWW   IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/09/09 at 05:11:20

Tonight I'll replace the plug and see what happens.

Before I took apart and cleaned the carb I have found the pilot jet sitting in the bowl when it first shut down on me during a long ride. But after cleaning I screwed it back in snug as well as the other jets. I did not check the numbers on them but they "looked" like the ones shown in photos and in the manual and were very clean.
 I replaced the petcock with the Raptor with a clean tank filter and added an in-line filter between the petcock and the carb. So I don't think anything has gone into the newly cleaned carb and clogged it but it's always a possibility.
 If replacing the plug gets me running again I'll try and tune the carb a little better and see what happens. If I'm still dying out at low throttle or stuck at half throttle going up I'll pull the carb again and do a check. If it's still clean I'm going to have to take it in to a professional. However I may have a long time mechanic/teacher coming over this evening to fiddle and diagnose with me. He's the type who can usually listen to an engine and tell you exactly what's wrong with it and he has experience with older bikes.
 I realize you guys may have been able to help me out a little more with a video so next time I'll find a place to upload a video and link it here.
 I'll let you know what happens tonight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:32:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting and running issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.