Send Topic Print
Gel seat pads (Read 120 times)
savageken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gel seat pads
06/23/09 at 18:40:00

Went for a ride last weekend, 150 miles round trip.  Rear end was sore (2009 s-40)  ordered a gel pad (pro top) from jc whitney received it and seems comfortable but have yet to really try it out.  
Anyone used these gel pads and what is your experience.  Is this the answer or does your rear end just get used to the s-40 seat after extended use.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Gel seat pads
Reply #1 - 06/23/09 at 18:42:07

I spend the off season running around and sticking my butt on really hot and hard objects. I've found the best way is to sit on cactus every chance you get. That will really get you ready for the seat.

I'm short so I can sit in the right spot on the seat and with the front of it lifted up a bit I really don't have any troubles with it. My Wife does not care for the rear seat at all though.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
yumi

2004 Purple

gainesville, fl
Reply #2 - 06/23/09 at 19:57:58

Well I've got an 04 Savage and I'm 5'3". No mods, no gel seat and I'm fine for 150 miles+. At that point its my right hand fingers that like to go numb.

PS: As Savage Amusement touched on.. the passenger seat is most uncomfortable after even minutes of riding. I haven't looked into the gel seats but if it comes with a rear seat do your wife a favor.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 06/23/09 at 21:43:39

I'm short and find the stock seat not too bad. I can see where tall folks would hve issues with the stock savage seat.
Sitting on anything for hours is bound  to cause a sore butt. I had hear that sheeps skin helps so I picked up a small piece cut for bike seats and found it helps quite a bit. It makes the seat softer and allows air flow.  Did a weekend trip with it and i beleive it made the ride much more comfortable.
It not too expensive, $50, easy to use and portable for the car.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 06/23/09 at 23:47:25

My 2 cents:

I read (and believe),unless the seat is a good(shaped) fit for you,the gel wont make much of a difference.(At least I do believe that for my seat!)As far as just adding the gel pad on top.

I think that's why some people like the gel,some dont.It depends on if the seat was a pretty good fit to start with.

Of course,you can try your gel seat and maybe prove this wrong. Undecided

Although I think it all depends on each person and their behind,they're all different Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 06/24/09 at 07:06:11

I noticed a difference with the gel seat, and even more so after adding a sheepskin pad.  More comfort = more miles.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/24/09 at 07:49:57

I have that same gel pad with the sheepskin cover from JC Whitney. What the others above have said is all true. I find mine is comfortable if I set it exactly right and position myself on it exactly right, otherwise I find myself trying to shift and that makes me more uncomfortable. I only use it for longer trips, not around town. They are useful, but perhaps not the ultimate answer. I believe the best solution is frequent long term saddle time=conditioning. Then anything you use is a plus.

IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 06/24/09 at 19:34:05

Gel pads really are more of a marketing/sales tool than anything.  They transfer vibration more than the open cell foam we have in our seats.  Open cell foam, on the other hand, is much more comfortable when you start a trip but compresses as you ride and you lose comfort.  Gel doesn't compress nearly as much (really not enough to even notice), so you still get a little bit of shock absorbency later in the ride, but you still get a lot of vibration.

Closed-cell foam seats (think Mustang), are a pain in the ass until you break them in.  You basically break open the cells with your arse, and only your arse, so you get a custom seat afterwords.

Long-distance riding...the best thing you can do for your arse is change your position soon and often...

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gel seat pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.