Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trouble Diagnosing Stutter (Read 348 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Trouble Diagnosing Stutter
Reply #15 - 06/28/09 at 16:35:49

Topher wrote on 06/26/09 at 20:52:31:
I spoke too soon. Problem came back with a vengeance tonight at 80 degrees. Never happened at that temp. Very humid.

And... setting petcock to Prime cleared it right up. Switching back and forth several times confirmed.

What does this test tell me?!  That the problem is in vacuum or petcock as Yonuh suggests?

Yup, if you get consistent results from changing the petcock position, that eliminates the probability of anything but the vacuum hose or petcock itself as the culprit. Fix/replace those, and hope it is the end of your troubles!  Wink

Still sucks that there is no rebuild kit available for our petcock. And I don't understand it since there are so many others of similar design which kits are available for. Just a case of Suzuki trying to nick all the Savage owners for an extra $50-$60 after a few years ownership it appears. Sell up a bike cheap; then make their profit/markup by selling us overpriced parts for years thereafter? Doesn't speak too well for Suzuki's long term commitment to customer loyalty. Bad news is: They aren't the only company who has that type of attitude nowadays.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 07/05/09 at 21:30:07

Topher,

Check out this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1152108113/0

When you are done reading that thread, you can try this test:

Crimp the petcock vacuum line so that nothing can get through it.

Select PRI on your petcock and ride the bike.  If it runs good like that, you most likely have a leak in the petcock diaphragm that allows gas to leak directly into the intake manifold, causing a rich condition.

You can ride it like this, but don't forget to select ON or RES on the petcock before walking away from the bike.

Report back up w/ your findings, please - good luck!

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #17 - 07/08/09 at 13:54:59

Cheesy Looks like we have a winner! The petcock. There was gas in the vacuum hose.

I've removed and capped the vacuum line, and am operating PRI/FUEL as ON/OFF, just like the good ol' days. For a permanent solution I think I will put on a Raptor petcock, while putting a stronger seal on the carb's vacuum port. (Is it true those rubber caps fail?)

No more problem, even on one nicely chilly, late night ride.

Until... my shift linkage broke! Rode home from the corner store in first. Dang, if it ain't one thing...!  (Easy fix though.)

Amazing thread, Digger--exactly the same symptom and result! Shame I didn't find that sooner. I appreciate everyone's help a lot! Even the comments that weren't the final answer helped me learn a lot while researching them. This is why we board, because talking it out works.

IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #18 - 07/08/09 at 15:20:16

Not to hijack the thread, but I have been having the EXACT same problem...I think.  No matter how I warm her up, I have to give her gas at idle just to keep her running when at a stop sign or red light, even with idle set high.  

I did get a raptor but haven't installed it yet.  I can't find the thread/help that shows how to deactivate the vacuum hose.  Can anyone help me find that thread showing what to do with the hose?

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #19 - 07/08/09 at 15:40:49

tomtaz1975 wrote on 07/08/09 at 15:20:16:
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been having the EXACT same problem...I think.  No matter how I warm her up, I have to give her gas at idle just to keep her running when at a stop sign or red light, even with idle set high.  

I did get a raptor but haven't installed it yet.  I can't find the thread/help that shows how to deactivate the vacuum hose.  Can anyone help me find that thread showing what to do with the hose?

After you put the raptor petcock on, you stick a hose on the vacuum port of the carb and stick a screw in it, or get a vacuum cap from an auto parts store and plug the port with it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #20 - 07/08/09 at 17:12:28

OK, passing forward my new found, brilliant insights...  Wink

Of course, install your Raptor if you want and see if that's a fix. In the meantime, as above, you might try running with petcock set to PRI. If that solves your problem, you do have the same situation and either the vacuum hose or petcock are bad. Also, check the vacuum hose after operation for gasoline in it. It might not be much, I used a taste test (yechh!). That means leaky diaphragm in petcock, which is apparently unfixable.

If that doesn't prove a problem in this area then you're back to square one on diagnosis. Clogs in the petcock still might be an option, but not any more obvious than many other things that someone smarter can talk about. The vacuum problem is ruled out, because PRI is not vacuum operated.

The vacuum hose is mostly discussed only in passing. It is the smaller one running from petcock to a port on the carb on the opposite (right) side. Many deactivation methods are proposed. I removed it and used rubber caps from parts store under $2 a half dozen. Some say they will rot. Or cut the hose and clamp it. Or cut the hose and seal with a screw and some gasket sealer. Or I think some have put said screw seal right in the ports. Anyway, the carb's vacuum port must be sealed if not used.

If vacuum deactivated (you may know this) you run on PRI, and turn to FUEL (which is now OFF) when engine is off.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 07/12/09 at 21:07:40

.....I can't find the thread/help that shows how to deactivate the vacuum hose.  Can anyone help me find that thread showing what to do with the hose?

Tom,

Many ways to block the carb's vacuum port.

Here's how I did it.....it's cheap and effective:

I just cut off a section of the existing vacuum hose, squeezed some silicone sealant in it, folded it over, and held it folded with two small zip-ties.  Then, I plugged it into the carb's vacuum port.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble Diagnosing Stutter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.