Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trouble Diagnosing Stutter (Read 348 times)
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Trouble Diagnosing Stutter
06/23/09 at 11:41:33

Hello, thumpers. Been reading this great site for a while, and now I have a problem. A couple pro mechanics have said “maybe-this-maybe-that.” My repair ability is strong, but knowledge is spotty. Anyone want to play the diagnosis game?

2001 Savage, 8,000 miles, 4,000 of those since bought a year ago.
Warm weather, above 70 degrees: Bike always starts and runs with no problems.
Cool weather: Bike starts fine, but dies or stutters awfully once warmed up.

Starting  behavior is same whether use choke to start (colder air temp) or do not (at 60-70 degrees). After a couple minutes of warming, and when choke turned off if used, revolutions slowly decrease until stall. Can restart with much throttle, so much that gas may come out carb vents. On restart revolutions are normal, but slow to stall again. There is a small amount of black smoke from tailpipe when giving gas to keep alive.

Riding behavior (if take off before warm, or ride into cool weather): Couple minutes after starting, engine stutters horribly for a few seconds (chugga-chugga, power loss), then runs well for 10 seconds, then continuously repeats this cycle. Dies at idle. Can usually keep running with continuous, generous throttle.

Running at high RPM does seem to help when behavior less severe (moderate air temps).

Problem appeared suddenly. This was after a couple months garaged in winter, with no storage prep, but had been riding again for several hundred miles.

Have very mild leak from head gasket since purchase, one year. (At least I think it’s head gasket.)

Fixes Tried:

Replaced spark plug (blackly caked). No change.

Bike shop didn’t experience behavior. Thought it rich and leaned mix half turn; put ring clean in gas. No change.

Higher (medium) octane gas. No change.

Tried carb cleaning, with limited knowledge/ability. Both ends of air horn and the bowl looked pristine clean. Float traveled freely and no apparent damage. Throttle plate moved freely. Cleaned nothing; didn’t know how to check anything else.

Pro mechanic friend suggests I replace the ignition coil next.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Trouble Diagnosing Stutter
Reply #1 - 06/23/09 at 11:53:28

First guess would be turning the idle up when it's cool although I don't know what you mean by cool in North Carolina.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #2 - 06/23/09 at 12:00:09

Mr. Hyde wrote on 06/23/09 at 11:53:28:
First guess would be turning the idle up when it's cool although I don't know what you mean by cool in North Carolina.

Afraid that's too simple. Won't deal with stutter at speed, and really, it's worse than that. When I say awful and horrible stutter I'm serious. (Cool is at or below 70 degrees.)

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #3 - 06/23/09 at 12:42:14

Maybe stilll running too rich? You said the spark plug was really blackened, which would indicate a rich condition. That doesn't make too much sense though when it only happens when cold. Cold air is denser, so more oxygen, so i would expect that to lean out the combustion, not cause it to be more rich.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #4 - 06/23/09 at 12:54:40

The standard jetting on the Savage is pretty poor. Contact LANCER, he has jet kits for sale. He can also give you a few other ideas about what could be wrong. Could also be dirty air filter. Cheers.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #5 - 06/24/09 at 06:38:09

cowspotter wrote on 06/23/09 at 12:42:14:
Maybe stilll running too rich? You said the spark plug was really blackened, which would indicate a rich condition. That doesn't make too much sense though when it only happens when cold. Cold air is denser, so more oxygen, so i would expect that to lean out the combustion, not cause it to be more rich.

My current working theory also focuses on the seeming richness. I'm thinking incomplete combustion. But I can't match that to all the symptoms, either. And the cause of it would still be unknown to me.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #6 - 06/24/09 at 09:09:20

Try cleaning air filter or for a test, just take it out.  Don't run long without a proper filter though.

Does it run any different when petcock is set to PRIME?  

Battery in good shape at least 12.3vdc (50%)  or 12.6vdc(100%)?

The mild oil leak is probably the very common and minor cap plug over a head bolt - my drips don't reach the ground yet either.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 06/24/09 at 11:01:17

Here is why your "pro mechanic" friend is recommending changing the ignition coil next: Because of the temperature dependency of the symptoms. I've experienced a couple of very frustrating episodes with a couple of different vehicles over intermittent shorts (or opens) of the coil windings. What happens is that the "open" in the winding of the coil is such a small gap (close together); that the warm/cold conditions cause the coil to work intermittently. The added vibration of working right next to a shaking engine doesn't help the situation any either. So any mechanic who has been around a long time has run across this very frustrating multiple changing symptom problem from an ignition coil before. And once it happens to you and makes you rebuild you carbs, check your vacuum; cylinder compression; valve lash, and everything else in the world you can think of... you never forget how it turned out to be the stupid coil all along!  Roll Eyes Wink

However (and there is ALWAYS an exception) I would still check everything easy and less expensive before shelling out $75 or so for a brand-new (known good) coil.

(Actually, I wouldn't have to do that; because besides having 3 Savages to scavenge parts between for testing, I also bought a supposedly good coil in a box of misc. Savage parts off or eBay not too long back.)

In fact, if you need a loaner coil for diagnosis, I'll let you borrow one for the cost of shipping it back and forth; but I ultimately want my spare back; because having 3 Savages I figure I'm bound to lose one sooner of later.

I've been buying up other known-to-fail parts as they come through eBay too. Got a spare set of shifter rods in the box with the coil...

Still in bad need of a late model (95+) front brake master cylinder myself though. They seem to be hard to come by used.

Let me know if you get to the point you want to try the coil...

John

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 06/24/09 at 15:04:26

I've been able to reproduce the symptoms you mention three different ways- air, fuel and vacuum.  

Air filter.  From my experimenting with various filters and filter media:

a little too restrictive- idle fine, rev fine, slow accelerate fine with very casual riding up to about middle rpm range, start to stutter under medium spirited riding, cough and sputter under full throttle and high engine load.

moderately restrictive- idle fine, start to stutter when revving, stutter when slow accelerate with very casual riding up to about middle rpm range, cough and die with full throttle or high engine load.

very restrictive- stutter when idling, and revving kills engine.

Fuel. Tired of putting the tank after doing some work to see if she runs, I made a test gas tank out of a plastic water bottle, lawnmower gas filter and clear fuel line.  The filter is mounted to the bottle cap. Just fill, hook other end of the line to the carb, turn bottle upside down and viola.  The other day I used some gas out of a gas can that had been sitting in the garage for maybe 6 months.  Started, idled a little rough, stuttered with any revving.  Emptied fuel bowl, filled bottle with gas from the tank, primed, started, ran fine.  

Vacuum.  When I first used the bottle I didn't plug the vacuum line.  Started, idled a little rough, stuttered with some good revving then got progressively worse.

Air, fuel, vacuum.  Always check them.

IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #9 - 06/26/09 at 09:37:28

Thank you very much guys. VERY helpful info here. I have a new "problem." Carolina has reached the season where it never gets cool enough to cause my problem. I can't diagnose anything now! I will do some of these suggested checks and maintenance, but we may not know whether they help until fall. My bet -- problem returns and you'll hear from me again, then.

Thanks especially to Rockin_John for the loaner offer. I might take you up on it when the behavior returns.

ero4444: Can't do those tests now, but will remember.

diamond jim: Very useful info for my diagnosis. I did forget vacuum! Why do we always do that?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #10 - 06/26/09 at 09:49:32

And here's a new observation from the last cool day.

Re. head gasket: While using much throttle to prevent stall at idle, I saw a tiny but vigorous pfft-pfft-pfft of something gaseous coming from the front center of the head gasket.  Is this definitely the problem or just highly suspicious? How serious is that behavior?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 06/26/09 at 11:32:47

Topher wrote on 06/26/09 at 09:49:32:
And here's a new observation from the last cool day.

Re. head gasket: While using much throttle to prevent stall at idle, I saw a tiny but vigorous pfft-pfft-pfft of something gaseous coming from the front center of the head gasket.  Is this definitely the problem or just highly suspicious? How serious is that behavior?

That sounds like the infamous plug cap leak.

The other stuff, no offense to anyone here but it seems to me that they are wanting you to go around your a$$ to get to your elbow. Check the petcock and vacuum line.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #12 - 06/26/09 at 20:52:31

I spoke too soon. Problem came back with a vengeance tonight at 80 degrees. Never happened at that temp. Very humid.

And... setting petcock to Prime cleared it right up. Switching back and forth several times confirmed.

What does this test tell me?!  That the problem is in vacuum or petcock as Yonuh suggests?

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #13 - 06/27/09 at 19:04:27

I think it means "replace 8-year-old petcock" with easy manual Raptor petcock, or your vacuum line leaks.  Replace line first I guess - seems easy but I've not had to do it myself yet.

It's still possible that crap, rust, grit in the tank has clogged the (normal) FUEL port - does it run ok in RES?  I wonder if PRIME gravity-feeds the gas from the RES fuel port.

Funny that the plug is black suggesting the burn is rich but I don't know enough about engines or carbs.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #14 - 06/28/09 at 15:56:22

OK, that's how I read it too. Will think about the RES thing. The plug I changed could have been original as far as I know, so it may mean little.

Thanks for help! I didn't even understand I had a vacuum operated petcock a week ago. Talking helped me figure out new things to look up. Fingers crossed now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:34:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble Diagnosing Stutter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.