Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Very Poor Gas Mileage? (Read 128 times)
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Very Poor Gas Mileage?
06/23/09 at 10:40:20

I only got my 1997 Savage a couple of months ago, and it was a while before I needed my first fill up.

Anyway, I noted yesterday I needed to put the fuel pump in the "Reserve" position a lot earlier than I'd anticipated....I refuelled, and it was indeed empty...the first time I filled up I put in 2.4 gallons...this time I got 2.5 gallons in...and the odometer had only moved 75 miles!

75 miles to the tank is pretty pathetic, I should be getting at least 200 miles !

Any ideas? The bike seems to be riding fine!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Very Poor Gas Mileage?
Reply #1 - 06/23/09 at 10:51:08

HappyHighwayman wrote on 06/23/09 at 10:40:20:
I only got my 1997 Savage a couple of months ago, and it was a while before I needed my first fill up.

Anyway, I noted yesterday I needed to put the fuel pump in the "Reserve" position a lot earlier than I'd anticipated....I refuelled, and it was indeed empty...the first time I filled up I put in 2.4 gallons...this time I got 2.5 gallons in...and the odometer had only moved 75 miles!

75 miles to the tank is pretty pathetic, I should be getting at least 200 miles !

Any ideas? The bike seems to be riding fine!

Check the vac line for gas

WWW   IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/09 at 10:58:54

Sorry I don't know what a VAC line is...?

Please assume minimal technical knowledge.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #3 - 06/23/09 at 11:25:03

You should only be getting about 100 miles or so, out of a full tank. It is a 650, not a moped. But like someone said before, "after 100 miles, you'll be glad you have to fill her up, your arse will thank you".

Vac line comes off the back of the fuel valve and passes to the other side of the carb, where it attaches to the carb in the area where the carb attaches to the rubber duct.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/23/09 at 11:27:29

The MPG thread has people getting 50-60 which would seem to be closer to 200 miles per tank...no?

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #5 - 06/23/09 at 11:29:18

2.4 x 50 = 125ish

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #6 - 06/23/09 at 11:30:12

50mpg with about 2 gallons available under the normal petcock setting means 100 miles. You can stretch it to 130-140 under reserve but you're really risking running out.

75 is low so you do need to look into a cause but you're not as far off of par as you think.

IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/23/09 at 11:31:01

Excuse my very poor math skills, lol.

Ok so that's still only 75/2.5 = 30MPG which is a pretty poor.

Granted I'm a new rider, I probably have a style which uses a lot of fuel, plus I'm in SF which is hilly.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #8 - 06/23/09 at 11:34:10

You should still check for leaks. I have to ride mine in the "Pri" position. If I switch to the "on" position, I get fuel leaking everywhere. Just one more thing to fix...lol

On the other hand, which position did you leave the fuel valve in when it was parked. The reason I ask is that if the diaphragm in the fuel valve has a hole in it, there's a distinct possibility that you are flooding your engine over time.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 06/23/09 at 13:53:26

AngloSaxon wrote on 06/23/09 at 11:34:10:
You should still check for leaks. I have to ride mine in the "Pri" position. If I switch to the "on" position, I get fuel leaking everywhere. Just one more thing to fix...lol

On the other hand, which position did you leave the fuel valve in when it was parked. The reason I ask is that if the diaphragm in the fuel valve has a hole in it, there's a distinct possibility that you are flooding your engine over time.

Yes, and some have found that the flooding condition results in gasoline (petrol) in the motor oil - not a good situation.  Check and see if you can smell gasoline in the crankcase, with the oil filler cap off.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/23/09 at 13:56:56

Wouldn't riding around in Prime cause the engine to flood ? Or do you turn it off every time you stop?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/23/09 at 15:55:17

I go on reserve between 130 and 135 miles,its pretty much stock except for richer low and high speed jets.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #12 - 06/24/09 at 06:36:36

HappyHighwayman wrote on 06/23/09 at 13:56:56:

Wouldn't riding around in Prime cause the engine to flood ? Or do you turn it off every time you stop?

It doesn't on mine, but then mine is probably broken.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:31:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Very Poor Gas Mileage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.