Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just checked cam chain adjuster (Read 241 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Just checked cam chain adjuster
06/22/09 at 14:42:44

I just got done putting the bike back together after checking my cam chain adjuster for the first time. I bought my 06 last July (2008) with 2800 miles on it. I have 7900 now and thought it was time. I also was hearing some funky noises at low throttle that I didn't like.

The adjuster was at 17-18mm so I'm going to let it go the rest of the season. I just didn't want to lose a few weeks of the best part of the season to the repair. I had to wait until today to get the new exhaust and clutch cover gaskets. I think I actually had an exhaust leak now that I hear the bike running with the new gasket in there. I get no backfiring on rapid deceleration when I snap the throttle shut. I'm going to have to get used to how the bike sounds now, and that I won't be able to scare high school girls holding up car wash signs on the side of the road.  Sad

I had a little smoke coming from the right side of the engine after my test ride but I think that might just be some old oil burning off. I have it parked in the garage so I'll check it in the morning for any drops. Hopefully I won't have any. My 2 concerns are:

1. The clutch cover gasket didn't seat well enough and i'll have to tear the whole thing apart again.

2. The guy at the dealership gave me 3 crush washers but he gave me the wrong ones and I didn't check before I left. The ones he gave me are too big so I had to reuse the one that was on there. At least I'll be able to tell the difference between the clutch cover leaking and the drain plug leaking.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Just checked cam chain adjuster
Reply #1 - 06/22/09 at 15:02:57

Where do the copper crush washers go?  I havent seen when I've been tearing/building mine?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/22/09 at 15:17:20

they're for the oil plug.

WWW   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #3 - 06/22/09 at 15:19:17

Yeah, I really wish I had checked the washers the guy gave me when I was at the store. I probably won't even exchange them because the store I went to is kinda far away from my house. I went there for the gasket because they were able to get it ordered really fast. I'll hit up the smaller shop for a new crush washer if it leaks. Just checked and no leaks yet.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 06/22/09 at 15:38:57

The three washer/seals go under the 3 specified cover screws that have oil pressure by them. i had one on the wrong screw on my sidecar tug and it did leak. I now buy them in a package of 20 at a time as the same ones are used on the specified head cover screws. The parts guys don't have a check list that they can suggest to the customer the other related gaskets that should be changed when you do a certain job. If you are going to R&R the clutch cover then you will need a new exhaust gasket and the three washers besides the clutch cover gasket.  I've been fighting leaks on the tug since getting it almost a year ago and think I've got most of the issues under control now. There were a couple misplaced cover screws in the generator side which I think lead to the leaks there, and then the speedo cable leaks with the OE seal still in place so now it has a o ring glued in place to fill the space some in the OE (non-servicable ) seal. On our last trip I could actually see the oil oozing out from the speedo drive area. Max

« Last Edit: 06/22/09 at 18:33:53 by Max_Morley »  

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #5 - 06/22/09 at 15:48:19

Hmmm, didn't know those black washers had to be replaced on the 3 screws. I layed them out in order and placed them back in the clutch cover in the same order once it was fully removed so I'm sure I got them back on in the same position they were originally.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/22/09 at 19:50:55

Bulletproof bolt locator, draw the outline of the  clutch cover( Not to scale or perfect, just kinda sorta) on a piece of cardboard, slice thru it at every place a bolt goes & poke each bolt into its respective spot. Going back together is a no brainer, which I qualify for.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/22/09 at 21:45:53

crush washers? only place I know they are used is the oil drain plug.
seal washer or rubber coated washer go 3 places on the clutch cover and 3 places on the head cover.  And used ones work great on the mount screws of the side tins.

WWW   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #8 - 06/23/09 at 04:03:22

Yeah, we're talking about 2 different kinds of washers. The crush washer on the oil drain plug is what i bought but was the wrong size. The 3 seal washers on the clutch cover are what Max says you have to replace when you remove the clutch cover.

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #9 - 06/23/09 at 05:59:58

Just rode in to work today. No drips on the floor of the garage and the bottom of the engine was clean/dry. When I got to work I checked and there were a few spots of oil on the bottom. No major drips coming off the engine but there's definitely oil there now. I don't know if its the gasket not sealing or if its my reuse of the crush washer. I think I'm just going to replace the crush washer since that's way easier than pulling everything back off. I looked around the edge of the clutch cover and it looked totally dry so I'm hoping that the drain plug is the source of the leak.

If I lean the bike over away to the right all the way do you think I can pull the drain plug out w/o losing much oil? I'd rather not have to drain the oil and then put it back in just to replace this washer.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 06/23/09 at 07:10:29

Also make sure this bolt is tight.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #11 - 06/23/09 at 09:43:00

I had a similar issue after my first oil change. It turned out that I hadn't tightened the oil filter cover enough. Just a thought. Andrew.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/05/09 at 20:19:34

verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/09 at 21:45:53:
crush washers? only place I know they are used is the oil drain plug.
seal washer or rubber coated washer go 3 places on the clutch cover and 3 places on the head cover.  And used ones work great on the mount screws of the side tins.

Ver,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need seven of the washer gaskets for the head cover (at least that's what my FSM shows).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/05/09 at 22:03:27

Digger wrote on 07/05/09 at 20:19:34:
Ver,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need seven of the washer gaskets for the head cover (at least that's what my FSM shows).

Answering by memmory alone can sometimes lead to error, I'm reunited with my manual, 7 is correct.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/11/09 at 21:25:11

verslagen1 wrote on 07/05/09 at 22:03:27:
Digger wrote on 07/05/09 at 20:19:34:
Ver,

Answering by memmory alone can sometimes lead to error, I'm reunited with my manual, 7 is correct.

Ver,

Sorry....I'm an idiot.

You probably need to replace only five of the seven, since two of the washer gaskets are used on bolts you don't need to remove to take off the cylinder head cover.

However, you may want to have a few extras on hand.  I noticed that the gasket washer on one of the "don't have to remove" bolts is leaking on my bike (see signature), so I'll be replacing it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 03:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just checked cam chain adjuster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.