Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Tire Wear? (Read 901 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Re: Tire Wear?
Reply #45 - 06/28/09 at 19:13:06

after adjusting shocks

the rear is stiff now and i will take my wife for a trip around the block in the morning to make sure they are better for 2up...

maybe this will keep tire from rubbing now? or at least from bottoming out.. i still may have to take it over there and have him realign the tire?

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #46 - 06/29/09 at 14:29:07

ok i adjusted shocks all the way to 5 and with rider i am still rubbing....
I took the bike back down to shop and the guy took one look and said he was going to order me a new tire and put it on for me thursday morning.
its rubbing still way to bad on the edges of tire and i have shavings all over back rim now....

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 06/29/09 at 15:54:01

Read this thread for background info.  The thread is about fitting a much larger tire but the explanation for the truss headed screws is included in the material.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181496112

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 06/29/09 at 17:25:33

GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/28/09 at 19:13:06:
after adjusting shocks

the rear is stiff now and i will take my wife for a trip around the block in the morning to make sure they are better for 2up...

maybe this will keep tire from rubbing now? or at least from bottoming out.. i still may have to take it over there and have him realign the tire?

I am getting a new tire tomorrow. According to the stealership a 140 90 15 should fit just fine on my savage beast. The great thing is that these tires are being sold at cost price. 86$CAd plus 50$ installation. That is a steal any where in town. I was told by my other mechanic to take this deal for sure.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #49 - 06/29/09 at 17:27:42

that is so what i needed to read ... thank you.. i think i am going to go ahead and let him put me a dunlop k555 on there since he has ordered it but in the mean time i am going to start getting the stuff together to do this modification... I think this is really neat... i also have a 68 beetle and a 76 vw hightop bus..... i like the idea of using the beetle tire.. awesome.. thanks for the good read..

Chai

DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #50 - 06/29/09 at 18:11:53

odvelasc wrote on 06/29/09 at 17:25:33:
GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/28/09 at 19:13:06:
after adjusting shocks

I am getting a new tire tomorrow. According to the stealership a 140 90 15 should fit just fine on my savage beast. The great thing is that these tires are being sold at cost price. 86$CAd plus 50$ installation. That is a steal any where in town. I was told by my other mechanic to take this deal for sure.

I don't believe that price!!!  My buddy who just got a Dunlop 140 90 15 on his Savage paid $170.00 for it.  Is your quote for a Dunlop?
DocNeedles

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #51 - 06/29/09 at 19:24:08

yeah all the dunlops i have found in this area are or around 100- 150 bucks.... 30 bucks to install on bike.. this is the k555

SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #52 - 06/29/09 at 22:46:32

GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/29/09 at 14:29:07:
its rubbing still way to bad on the edges of tire and i have shavings all over back rim now....

Both tyre edges? What about the belt edge, any signs of rubbing there?

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #53 - 06/30/09 at 04:26:02

nope.. i believe it is catching on the lips of fender... i cant even have a rider even with shocks on 5......

markrider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #54 - 06/30/09 at 05:05:09

I have a new Metzeler ME880 Marathon 140/80 HB-15. I will sell it for
$80 plus shipping (from NJ). If anyone is interested, e-mail me for payment/shipping details.  Thanks.

markrider
markrider@optonline.net

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #55 - 06/30/09 at 10:23:28

skatnbnc wrote on 06/28/09 at 17:56:06:
The shop guys said i was running PSI pressure too low - but i fill up to manual spec - 28 front, 33 rear.  They added more air.  What do you guys think?

Metzeler says:
Quote:
Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual. However Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation.  

Recommended Minimum Tire Pressures (PSI)
Touring/Cruiser                  
Alpha ME880 (MH, MT, MU tires)      Solo      2 Up Light      2 Up Heavy
Front      36      40      40
Rear      38      40      40

Their recommended inflation pressures are listed on this web page:
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page.  Of course, do not exceed the max pressure shown on the tire sidewall.  I don't know what MH, MT, or MU means.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #56 - 06/30/09 at 10:45:51

I wonder why the Motorcycle companies want you to use less air in your tires than you should. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #57 - 06/30/09 at 12:42:25

so should I bring the pressure back down to spec or not?

Now I am confused!  Huh

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #58 - 06/30/09 at 13:38:37

Yes, I would rather be 2 pounds low than 2 pounds high,You also lose traction on over inflated tires.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #59 - 07/02/09 at 08:07:45

so if these guys who added air to my tires are FOS, then i probably should not allow them to change my tires or work on my bike.... Tongue

back to square one.  Sad

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Wear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.