Tire Wear? (Read 901 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Tire Wear?
Reply #15 - 06/22/09 at 14:04:41

GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/22/09 at 13:54:36:
verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/09 at 13:22:26:
I'd get some truss head screws for the fender rails.

?? why?

For clearance. Low profile but with a nice sized contact area.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #16 - 06/22/09 at 15:52:51

anyone got any pics of this?

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #17 - 06/22/09 at 18:49:45

so all in all i should be good with clearance if i buy the REAR bridgestone 150/80/15 since i dont have saddlebag supports?

2003 savage....

BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/22/09 at 21:46:02

$75 is way too much to install a tire. Around here its $20 with the tire off the bike $35-40 with it on the bike. I put my own on. Its worth knowing how but it is a super PITA. You'll want to know how if you get a flat somewhere though.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #19 - 06/23/09 at 13:55:09

tottally agree.... i will learn it just not this go round.... i got  so many things happening i dont actually have the time to do it myself.. again not this go round....

so would i be better off going with the dunlop rather than the bridgestone?

the dunlop is only 25 bucks more....? i know both names for radials but i am not sure about for bikes whats best... or is it a matter of opinion between the two..? thx

GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #20 - 06/24/09 at 06:26:38

thanks for all the help i am loaded and on the way to the shop..

buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/24/09 at 09:32:41

my vote is for Bridgestone Spitfires, a dual compound tire, raised white letters, 1 size bigger on the rear.
The stock tire was bald at 7k miles.  I have that much on the spitfires already and expect about that much more.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #22 - 06/24/09 at 16:34:30

put the bridgestone on there...
its wider and rides a little better buttttttttt it looks to be rubbing some on the belt...
the place on the belt is up top under gaurd..

place on tire is rim of tread... its making a smooth black rub place...
now when i feel it there is clearance there but i am thinking with my weight and curves etc it must be rubbing.. i thought i heard a rub today like a low toned noise..? when i laid over a bit to go into a sorta deep turn...

should this wear small bit more or??

i dont want to tear up a new tire or my belt...?
thx in advance

GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #23 - 06/24/09 at 17:44:46

any advice here is welcome..

tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #24 - 06/24/09 at 19:15:16

I am a huge fan of Metzler ME880's.  Just put them on my Savage 500 miles ago and they still look new.

I had a set on my Marauder and put 8000 miles before I sold the bike.  I think I still had 50% or so tread life on the rear, 70% or so on the front.

For the Marauder, I bought them online and for $40 bucks had the local shop put them on.  Saved around $80 online compared to what the shop quoted me.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #25 - 06/24/09 at 21:40:52

I have a rear Pirelli MT66 Route 140/90-15, and I like it a lot.  It is taller, wider, heavier, and stiffer than the OEM IRC that came off--actual width 152 mm according to the Pirelli catalog.  The ride and handling are very good.  On some washboard pavement on a city curve I used to hop sideways over the bumps.  This one doesn't go sideways.  And, it is the same price as a new IRC and lower priced than most other top name tires.  By the way, Metzeler is owned by Pirelli.  The ME880 looks like a great tire, but pricier.

I'm waiting on a matching front.  Stock is very low around the country in these sizes.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/25/09 at 01:52:31

PTRider wrote on 06/24/09 at 21:40:52:
I have a rear Pirelli MT66 Route 140/90-15, and I like it a lot.  It is taller, wider, heavier, and stiffer than the OEM IRC that came off--actual width 152 mm according to the Pirelli catalog.  The ride and handling are very good.  On some washboard pavement on a city curve I used to hop sideways over the bumps.  This one doesn't go sideways.  And, it is the same price as a new IRC and lower priced than most other top name tires.  By the way, Metzeler is owned by Pirelli.  The ME880 looks like a great tire, but pricier.

I'm waiting on a matching front.  Stock is very low around the country in these sizes.  

I've considered the Route 66.  When you get to that point, please let us know what kind of mileage you got from them.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #27 - 06/25/09 at 23:44:16

GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/24/09 at 16:34:30:
its wider and rides a little better buttttttttt it looks to be rubbing some on the belt...

place on tire is rim of tread... its making a smooth black rub place...
now when i feel it there is clearance there but i am thinking with my weight and curves etc it must be rubbing.. i thought i heard a rub today like a low toned noise..? when i laid over a bit to go into a sorta deep turn...

should this wear small bit more or??

i dont want to tear up a new tire or my belt...?
thx in advance

I have a 150/80-15 IRC Wildflare on my rear, no rubbing at all, about 3/8th inch clearance on both sides, the belt side and the brake side.  I wonder if your installer put the spacers in wrong??  They are different from left to right.  You should not be rubbing the belt at all.  Be sure to replace your fender bolts with pan head allen bolts, this will keep the sharp edges away from the tire.  You do not have to do all of them, just the ones that COULD come in contact with the tire.  You will have to remove the wheel to do this.

It's not hard to take the rear wheel off,  I would swap the spacers, or take the bike back to your installer and show him the rubbing area.
He should swap the spacers around for free.

Others on this forum have fitted slightly larger tires with minimal modifications.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #28 - 06/26/09 at 00:50:08

Educatedredneck wrote on 06/25/09 at 23:44:16:
GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/24/09 at 16:34:30:

I have a 150/80-15 IRC Wildflare on my rear, no rubbing at all, about 3/8th inch clearance on both sides, the belt side and the brake side.  I wonder if your installer put the spacers in wrong??

Sounds like it's a slight rear wheel alignment issue.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #29 - 06/26/09 at 13:00:43

GrateFuLDad wrote on 06/22/09 at 09:58:07:
I just put new set of tires on my 2003 Ls650 savage back 7 7 08 and have only put maybe 3ooo miles on them...
now the front tire still looks real good but the back tire was getting worn pretty fast and pretty wierd like i thought..  i was going to call the folks i bought them from and installed them this week but last night when riding to the store the back tire starting going flat and i pulled over to see threads in the middle of the tire not on the rim .... i could not believe this..?
Anybody tell me whats going on here...? i mean it looks like i been power breaking it... in which i dont and havent ...

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Wear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.