Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
header wrap and paint ? (Read 168 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
header wrap and paint ?
06/22/09 at 08:20:11

i'm getting black header wrap on wednesday, do i use silicone or water? the guy @ cycle gear said either or. what works best? the roll is 20 bucks or a kit with silicone spray for 60. if i need the silicone spray i'll get it myself.

and i'm about to start prepping the side panels and front fender for paint. what grit sandpaper do i use before the primer? and after? and what rattle can brand is good?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: header wrap and paint ?
Reply #1 - 06/22/09 at 09:00:09

IDK about what grit to use, but the scratches have to be very fine or theyll show thru primer.

As for using any kind of silicone around where you will be painting or things you will paint, DONT,,silicone causes fisheye. Use tack cloths & clean the heck outta your parts b4 paint goes down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/09 at 15:40:17

Rocco wrote on 06/22/09 at 08:20:11:
i'm getting black header wrap on wednesday, do i use silicone or water? the guy @ cycle gear said either or. what works best? the roll is 20 bucks or a kit with silicone spray for 60. if i need the silicone spray i'll get it myself.

and i'm about to start prepping the side panels and front fender for paint. what grit sandpaper do i use before the primer? and after? and what rattle can brand is good?

Scuff with a low grit such as 120 in order to start removing any paint. You could then sand down with a 220 or so. Maybe finish with a 380 or just under. I love the look of header wrap. I vote for header wrap on your pipe.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 06/22/09 at 21:57:47

i am picking up the roll of black 2morrow! i can't w8! all who agree with header wrap say "i"....."I"!!!!!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/22/09 at 22:01:32

you might not be so enthused once you ride with it. It'll stink something awful the first while riding and also when you get caught in the rain. Some complain wrap causes the header to rust aswell.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 06/22/09 at 22:07:20

thanks for the heads up, if it stinks that bad i'll ride faster and outrun the smell lol

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #6 - 06/22/09 at 22:11:29

Rocco wrote on 06/22/09 at 21:57:47:
i am picking up the roll of black 2morrow! i can't w8! all who agree with header wrap say "i"....."I"!!!!!!!!

Grin Grin  Yer too much buddy  Grin Grin Hey lemme know how that goes... And where in the world did you get the wrap?? I checked at the stealership ..75.00 Angry Angry  And checked Oreilleys Auto ..  55..00  Angry  For a big roll.. Heck i just need like 10 ft... i think.. Undecided

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 06/22/09 at 22:22:14

hahaha too much dew will do that to u! i'm not the most normal person haha

cycle gear man, they have online stores if there isn't one near u. i think it's 20 bucks for 15 foot or something like that. they only have one roll of black right now, so i'll see how that goes and order more if needed!!

and i'll def post the new paint and wrap!!!

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #8 - 06/22/09 at 22:30:21

Rocco wrote on 06/22/09 at 22:22:14:
hahaha too much dew will do that to u! i'm not the most normal person haha

cycle gear man, they have online stores if there isn't one near u. i think it's 20 bucks for 15 foot or something like that. they only have one roll of black right now, so i'll see how that goes and order more if needed!!

and i'll def post the new paint and wrap!!!

Grin Good point but are any of us here normal?? We smile when we are snuffed by dudes on a harley and laugh at them driving by their F250 Pulled over to help fix their now broke down harley ... cool buddy lemme know how that goes... definitely wanting to go wrap..

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 06/22/09 at 22:57:41

yeah i think there's a little compensation issue when they go for the harley and look down on us! lol

on the bright side, we can do our own oil changes haha

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 06/22/09 at 23:48:09

When your finished wrapping, let it air dry then bolt it up and run the bike for a couple of minutes so it could start curing, then shut it off and let it cool down. After that I took it for a spin and boy was I pumped, it did smell like complete crap that gave me a head ache but was well worth it.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 06/23/09 at 07:39:18

thanks for the tip bro! and i am more then willing to be a little nasty smellin in trade of looking awesome and maybe gaining a little horsepower.

i'll just take 441 where there's paper factory or a dog food factory and won't know the difference lol

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/23/09 at 15:05:56

I wrapped my bike to judge how much I needed. I then cut off more than I needed because i measured loosely. I then soaked my wrap for an hour. This makes wrap tighten and grip better. Use rubber gloves and go somewhere you dont mind getting colored water on. If your hands are not hurting while you wrap, you are not going tight enough. Start at the point where you connect your muffler (make sure muff is removed), and wrap around itself twice. Then tie it down with the metal tie downs it should have come with. Then start wrapping with quarter inch overlaps and boy your hands better hurt while wrapping. Wrap until an inch from the port at the cylinder is what I was told. Then tie that down with the little metal tie downs. I got mine from the Harley shop and it came with tie downs. Good luck.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 06/23/09 at 15:45:26

I didn't soak my wrap, still tight as the day I put it on.  It will stink and smoke like crazy for a day or two. Avoid red lights at all costs. Your lungs will thank you later. Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/23/09 at 18:17:23

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/23/09 at 15:45:26:
I didn't soak my wrap, still tight as the day I put it on.  It will stink and smoke like crazy for a day or two. Avoid red lights at all costs. Your lungs will thank you later. Cheesy

I found mine a bit slipper and not grabbing when i tried it dry. It gripped well when soaked. I let my exhaust try for 2 days before mounting and running it. I am sure running is faster to dry, but I never got the stink or smoke. I had rain for a couple of days so I took the car to work for the time the wrap dried.  Gloves are a must as this stuff is itchy. Which evey way works, have fun with it and post some pics Backfire Man (Rocco) lol!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › header wrap and paint ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.