Send Topic Print
12V power Supply (Read 124 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
12V power Supply
06/20/09 at 21:02:26

I have completed my 12v power supply for small accessories. I use it to power my GPS.

I picked up a weatherproof 12v powerpoint (cig lighter socket) at walmart. It has a flat side and tywraped under the center of the handle bars. It strapped on easily,and I rode with it a couple of days before I wired it in, to ensure there would be no issues with the location.

To wire it up I used crimp connectors, a buss fuse holder (the cheap round style), #18 stranded auto wire, shrink wrap and liquid tape.

1) Ran 2 wires from the handle bars under the tank and under the seat. The - wire will drop down to the - terminal of the battery so left lots of extra and cut. The + wire will drop down into the tool storage compartment so again left lots of extra and cut.

2) Used crimp on butt connectors to connect the 2 wires from the  power point to the 2 wires I just ran. I have a proper crimper to do this. I have found that this works the best to ensure a proper connection that doesn't pull apart. Be sure to slide  the shrink wrap on the wires before  you crimp the connections.  Roll Eyes
Once crimped I  coated the connections with liquid tape. Just enough to seal them up. Once that had set I slid up the shrink wrap, heated it and voila, a weatherproof connection.

4) I used a multi meter to figure out which wire sb the +. The centre point on the 12v supply is + so I made sure the wire connected to this dropped to the tool storage area which is the + side of the battery.

3) Disconnect the battery. Cut the - wire to length, I left a generous loop under the seat just incase. Crimp on a terminal to the - Wire. I also used liqiud tape & shrink wrap in this.

4) Crimp on a terminal connector to one side of the buss fuse holder. I chose the side that doesn't expose any live wiring when its pulled apart. Seal & shrink wrap the connection
Butt connect the + wire to the remaining side of the fuse holder. Seal & shrink wrap.

Hook up the - terminal and - wire connector  up to the - side of the battery.

Hook up the + terminal & fuse holder to the + side of the battery. Put a fuse in the fuse holder.

Everything worked ok so I finished up tywraping the wires to existing stuff and put all the parts back o the bike.

It's been 1 week, 600 miles and 1 horendus hail storm ( Me and the bike got drenched) and no issues.

I wonder if the bike can provide eought power for aheated vest? Roll Eyes

Here's a lik to some pics of the install:

http://www.bikepics.com/members/mkram69/p2/

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: 12V power Supply
Reply #1 - 06/21/09 at 08:44:09

18 awg (kcmil) with the right type insulation is rated 18 amps..i wouldnt fuse above 10..
10a X 12v = 120 watts  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 06/21/09 at 10:50:50

I have a 5 amp fuse in it now. I doubt the bike will be able to power up anything much over this. The fuse is there mostly to ensure nothing else frys if theres a short circuit. I'd rather replace a fuse rather than some funky electronic ignition module.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/21/09 at 13:16:26

Skid Mark wrote on 06/21/09 at 10:50:50:
I have a 5 amp fuse in it now. I doubt the bike will be able to power up anything much over this. The fuse is there mostly to ensure nothing else frys if theres a short circuit. I'd rather replace a fuse rather than some funky electronic ignition module.

fuse size is determined by wire size,ie to protect the conductor from melt down,depending on the insulation of the conductor..
i am running a stereo amp (4 amp draw = 48 watts @ 12v) and a pair of 20 watt hologens on the same circuit along with an led amp(battery/alt output) gauge and back lit oil temp gauge(loads ?)
on a 15 amp ckt only time the battery gauge doesnt show charging is if my rmps get below 1k...theres a post in this site somewhere where a member did the math to find the alt output (verslagen?) been more then 12 months ago i think..
alt output should be a non issue except  with the higher wattage vest/hand warmers..

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 06/21/09 at 14:36:38

Thanks for the info Thumperclone. A few recent posts have shown guys with issues when adding lights so I thought there might a low output limit issue. I'll keep the fuse undersized, until I find the need to add any accessories.

How do you find the  halogen lites? Do they help at nite and increase you visibility during the day? Something like them will probably be on my short list.

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/22/09 at 06:45:53

Skid Mark wrote on 06/21/09 at 14:36:38:
Thanks for the info Thumperclone. A few recent posts have shown guys with issues when adding lights so I thought there might a low output limit issue. I'll keep the fuse undersized, until I find the need to add any accessories.

How do you find the  halogen lites? Do they help at nite and increase you visibility during the day? Something like them will probably be on my short list.

better to have a small fuse than over sized!!
think i got the halos @ jc whitless,kinda cheap chromed plastic visors w/3 allen set screws
great visiabilty
also added a strip of yellow leds to the cross brace on my Ed L forward controlls along with stock running lights and super brite head  lampbulb the front is lit up pretty well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12V power Supply

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.