My seat is complete! (Read 587 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My seat is complete!
06/20/09 at 16:22:31

I followed diamond jim's lead here
I removed the seat cover and foam exposing the seat pan. The seat pan has a lot of low and high spots, to add rigidity and insure that your butt hurts after 30 minutes. Following Jim's lead I used a can of self expanding foam (the kind you get for leaky doors and windows) to build it up level. This takes a while to set so you might want to get some beer. I then added two layers of ½ inch foam to the seat pan from a blue walmart camping pad. I used 3M  spray adhesive on both surfaces of the foam and on the seat pan. A little work with a grinder and a curved sureform file gave me the shape that I wanted. Then a layer or two of polyester quilt batting (no mold with polyester) to smooth any sharp areas around the edges. I glued the batting to the foam. Finally replacing the cover. The cover was not as hard as I was lead to believe. I lined it up and added a couple of staples at the sides to keep it centered. Then I folded the front of the cover back to the middle of the seat and sprayed the top of the batting and the bottom of the cover with spray adhesive. You need to work quick here because you only have about 15 seconds to get the cover pressed down and smoothed out. Give the glue a minute or two to bite then remove the staples, fold the back half of the seat cover forward and repeat the process.
I raised the nose of the seat up about one inch as well. I cut the pillion down about half way and added an inch of my blue foam back but it might have been too much.
Tell me what you  think.
I haven't had a chance to try it yet. As you can see I am working on a DJ longshot exhaust and I an waiting on a Sportster baffle from a friend. If I was to go for a ride the way it is I wouldn't make the end of the block before being pulled over. Man is this thing loud!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: My seat is complete!
Reply #1 - 06/20/09 at 18:33:30

Did you staple the seat cover on? I'm assuming you did.

I have all the material,glue,stuff,for my seat but I still need a good stapler and not sure what kind to get.

What kind did you use?

Your seat looks nice...and comfy Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/20/09 at 18:48:33

I used a hand operated PowerShot 5700M that I got at Lowes. It takes Arrow T-50 staples. I used 3/16th staples but 1/4th might have been a better choice. Post pictures when you are through.
The amount of foam that I used is probably 1/4 what was on the seat from the factory. I dished the back, to allow my ample butt to sit a little flatter. I also feathered the front so that the center is about an inch higher than either side. Mt thought here was to releave some of the hot spots on the inside of my fat thighs. Smiley

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 06/20/09 at 19:39:29

Wow, JB, that looks awesome.  Nice work.  When you gonna test it out?  BTW, when I get home (I'm at the beach again), I'll post some pics of the new longshot baffle from hell.  It's a new invention, not like the one I PM'd you about.  I'm certain it's like nothing you've ever seen before.  

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 06/20/09 at 23:49:40

Thanks John....

I am going to take some foam out of the back also,where you sit,and build up the front....and try to widen the sitting area, just a little.

I hope its as easy as I'm thinking it will be! If it goes as planned it will be more like a saddle,than the seat it is.

All I need is the stapler. I was beginning to think I might need an electric staple gun,but maybe not.Being I've never used either.

Will take pics though if/when I get it done! Wink
Let us know how yours does!

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 06/21/09 at 03:18:45

Looks great!

I hope it feels as good as it looks!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 06/21/09 at 06:47:35

I must say, that looks good! And I predict that you will much prefer it over the stock seat, as my own cut-down stock saddle has become my favorite of several seats I've tried. The Sportster seat runs a distant second.

I just recently re-installed the cut-down seat on the Savage I intend to ride the most this summer:

Also pictured are a few spare seats; some of which may become available in the near future.  Wink

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 06/21/09 at 07:36:37

I've always believed that good seat shape with less cushion offers better long ride comfort for me than a more poorly shaped seat with lots of cushion. Do I still get monkey butt?  Sure.  But it takes longer and it's more a case of the majority of my butt getting kinda sore as opposed to a more focused area being aggravatingly sore.  

FreeSpirit, why don't you try your hand at fiberglassing some width to the seat pan.  Maybe try adding a little support to the outside edges of the drivers area, something to widen it maybe 3/4" to 1" on both sides, then lay fiberglass across the seat pan/new support, shape it with a sander, foam it and recover.  Seems like a quality method for adding a little width.  

IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #8 - 06/21/09 at 08:00:51

Seat looks great!!!  In regard to the long shot pipe, how do you have it secured?  Did you make a bracket to hold it in place just past the heat shield, or at present is it just supported by the exhaust mounts?
DocNeedles

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/21/09 at 13:53:30

"In regard to the long shot pipe, how do you have it secured?  Did you make a bracket to hold it in place just past the heat shield, or at present is it just supported by the exhaust mounts?"

I had the muffler guy cut me a piece of 1 3/4 exhaust pipe, bend it 8 degrees, and flare the end. I took it home and pushed it up as far as I could on the header. The bend had it just kissing the existing muffler mount bracket. I could then used a sharpy to mark the mounting holes.
I drilled out the mounting holes in the pipe and went back to the muffler guy with two nuts and a bolt in hand. the bolt kept the nut centered around the hole while he welded them in place. It is a perfect fit. I have a way to go on the longshot...and I can't wait to see what diamond jim has up his sleeve.
JB

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 06/21/09 at 22:00:14

Here's the new baffle thread, JB.  Didn't wanna threadjack!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245646758/0#0.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #11 - 06/22/09 at 10:24:53

I've seen and sat on Diamond Jim's seat and it does feel comfortable.  I'm planning to re-do mine (again).  Having removed and replaced the seat cover about three times now, I can tell you that a heavy duty stapler with 1/4" staples works fine.  Mine is spring operated, but an electric would probably work better.  I haven't used glue, so the staples from the last R&R are still in there and they don't bother me.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 06/25/09 at 00:13:46

diamond jim wrote on 06/21/09 at 07:36:37:
I've always believed that good seat shape with less cushion offers better long ride comfort for me than a more poorly shaped seat with lots of cushion. Do I still get monkey butt?  Sure.  But it takes longer and it's more a case of the majority of my butt getting kinda sore as opposed to a more focused area being aggravatingly sore.  

FreeSpirit, why don't you try your hand at fiberglassing some width to the seat pan.  Maybe try adding a little support to the outside edges of the drivers area, something to widen it maybe 3/4" to 1" on both sides, then lay fiberglass across the seat pan/new support, shape it with a sander, foam it and recover.  Seems like a quality method for adding a little width.  

It does sound like a great idea! But....

Right now,I work alot and just want some Ride time with a "better" seat than the original....so my present idea(I think) will be okay for the summer....but next winter I'm sure if my seat isnt just like I want it,I'll be looking into that and work on it again Wink

A little wider would definitely be nice!

Thanks for the great idea!! I'm going to keep that in mind! Smiley
 (I would have never thought of that!)

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 06/26/09 at 19:40:06

It was mentioned to me by a upholstery shop owner that they use Stainless steel staples most of the time.
Just wondered what you guys thought on this....I was told they last longer,stay in better and dont rust.

Of course that may be just for "those particular people" like I am sometimes  Cheesy

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/30/09 at 20:47:00

I removed a number of seat covers during the years that I owned a furniture store. Rusty staples hold much better than new ones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:14:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My seat is complete!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.