Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
valve noise? (Read 147 times)
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
valve noise?
06/20/09 at 14:16:04

Hello All-

I have a 2006 S40 with 1200 miles on it.  I bought this bike (used) in March from a dealer, so I don't know anything about the previous owner or what maintenance he did.   I'm not much of a mechanic, my expertise is in computer software.

I'm hearing what I think is excessive noise from the valves/lifters.   When cruising slow at about 35 MPH in 3rd gear, when you let off the throttle and slow down, I hear a lot of ticking noise coming from the engine.  It seems to be from the top end, and it's a rapid sound which seems too fast to be a rod knock.   When the engine RPM is higher, the ticking goes away.   The engine starts and runs fine, it doesn't blow smoke or anything like that.

Is this normal for the S40/Savage, or is there something else I should be looking for?   I have checked the oil level and it's right in the middle of the sight glass.  The oil color is good too, it's not black.

Thanks,
Joe

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: valve noise?
Reply #1 - 06/20/09 at 15:44:10

siriusjoe wrote on 06/20/09 at 14:16:04:
Hello All-

I have a 2006 S40 with 1200 miles on it.  I bought this bike (used) in March from a dealer, so I don't know anything about the previous owner or what maintenance he did.   I'm not much of a mechanic, my expertise is in computer software.

I'm hearing what I think is excessive noise from the valves/lifters.   When cruising slow at about 35 MPH in 3rd gear, when you let off the throttle and slow down, I hear a lot of ticking noise coming from the engine.  It seems to be from the top end, and it's a rapid sound which seems too fast to be a rod knock.   When the engine RPM is higher, the ticking goes away.   The engine starts and runs fine, it doesn't blow smoke or anything like that.

Is this normal for the S40/Savage, or is there something else I should be looking for?   I have checked the oil level and it's right in the middle of the sight glass.  The oil color is good too, it's not black.

Thanks,
Joe

get a manual you are due for a fullservice,includes valve adjust..
theyll still make some noise..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/20/09 at 17:34:34

Adjusting the valves looks a bit spooky the first few times. It can be done wrong, but even then, no damage will occur, as long as you catch it. It should tick lightly, but not be hammering up there. Get a manual, get the tools & the folks here will walk you thru it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/25/09 at 08:14:29

What happened to the Valve adjustment thread in the technical section? Looked for it this morning, and complete posts are gone - looks like deliberately edited out.

K

IP Logged
shortyd007
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/26/09 at 21:01:13

Hey man I here you on the valve thing if you get info and pics please send me i'm in need bro im on 9,000 miles

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:38:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve noise?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.