Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP!  Bike wont start (Read 130 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

HELP!  Bike wont start
06/19/09 at 13:59:45

Hello fellow members!  Im seeking help!  I installed driving lights in the past and after a few days they drowned my battery.  I attached a car charger and after a few hours of charging the bike started.  I took the lights off and no further problems.  I got the bug to add lights again and after riding the bike two days the same happened.  This time the bike started for a sec than it would not do anything when attempting to start it.  I tried charging the battery again and it wont do anything.  (I did cause a spark when attaching the charge so not sure if i did more damage?)

Are there any fuses I could have blown?  Could it be the battery is shot, dead, gone for ever?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I did not realize how expensive (100) the batteries are.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: HELP!  Bike wont start
Reply #1 - 06/19/09 at 14:21:49

I'm guessing the bike can't produce enough power to run the ignition and lighs and keep the battery topped up. I would check how much the lights draw. I'm sure there's spec on this site telling the output of the savage electrical system, and what the bike draws from it in stock setup.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #2 - 06/19/09 at 17:12:54

The bike's starter doesn't supply enough juice to run the driving lamps and your other "accessories" i.e. normal lights..  

If I was going to add something, it'd be LED and wouldn't draw down like a 35 watt driving light would...  It would be interesting to rig up something by using the cases from "car" driving lamps but gut them and replace them with white LED's...

Take the battery off and charge it on the lowest possible setting on your car charger. 2 amps or less if possible with auto shut-off...  And re-install.  

If you want driving lights, add them on a separate line, fuse and switch to the battery.  The load is on the battery and not the starter.  That way if you notice your lamps dimming you can cut the driving lights and charge the battery.

But that's my .02.  I'm sure someone else will say something else.

Roadie

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/19/09 at 18:30:34

If you make short trips & shut off & restart, thats adding to the problem.
The drain created by the lights is just more than the charge system can handle. Your battery may be a little tired &/or crummy connections, hampering the battery taking a charge.
Id ditch the lights till I figured it out. This "Whoopin" your battery has had may be the end of it. They dont handle total discharge & such many times. If it dies soon, I'd sure look at the Big Crank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kenshi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shelton, Washington
Reply #4 - 06/19/09 at 19:12:38

I noticed when my old lady was riding her Savage the other day (we have 2), that the turn signals are also running lights....

It's not like that on my Virago XV535, maybe he could just disconnect the constant power on all four turn signals and use them just as turn signals?

Just a thought.

Definitely would be nice to know the draw for the running lights though.
I agree , the battery has probably had it..

If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/09 at 19:55:11

Thanks Everyone for your feedback!  I went out and bought a new battery, found one for 45.00 dollars so I will install it in the morning and hopefully be riding by the afternoon.  I will keep you posted.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 06/19/09 at 20:00:29

Set-up your driving lights on a switch so you can turn them on and off independent of the other lights. Leave them off until you have the bike good and warm then switch them on, and switch them off before you kill the bike so the charging system can recharge a bit.

Just an idea.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/19/09 at 23:12:46

Adda voltmeter to the mix so you can keep an eye on the battery while you ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #8 - 06/20/09 at 07:07:08

You popped the fuse under the seat, No biggie, It's just not that easy to get to. 30 amp i believe. I had the lighting problem also, I ended up running 1 extra 55watt driving light on a switch. I turn it on after im rolling pretty good because the system wont quite keep a positive charge going on at an idle or loafing the engine at slow speeds.

After a month or so the 55 watt bulb burned out, i finagled wiring a 22 or 27?? watt bulb into the driving light housing. Seems the 55 watt bulbs dont last very long on a motorcycle. Maybe too harsh a ride for the filament. 95% of the time i just run with high beam on by itself. It's bright as heck day or night..

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/09 at 18:48:07

Rustbucket wrote on 06/20/09 at 07:07:08:
You popped the fuse under the seat, No biggie, It's just not that easy to get to. 30 amp i believe. I had the lighting problem also, I ended up running 1 extra 55watt driving light on a switch. I turn it on after im rolling pretty good because the system wont quite keep a positive charge going on at an idle or loafing the engine at slow speeds.

After a month or so the 55 watt bulb burned out, i finagled wiring a 22 or 27?? watt bulb into the driving light housing. Seems the 55 watt bulbs dont last very long on a motorcycle. Maybe too harsh a ride for the filament. 95% of the time i just run with high beam on by itself. It's bright as heck day or night..

Thanks very much!  The fuse was exactly what was wrong!  Now i'm back on the road!  Thanks for all your help! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:16:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!  Bike wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.