carb cleaner? (Read 148 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
carb cleaner?
06/18/09 at 11:39:19

carb cleaner like stp in the bottle. how much do i use? do u recommend it?

i don't think a whole bottle because that's for a car tank. i may be wrong, but i'm sure i'll soon find out ! thanks everyone who has helped me out so much already, and alot more to come i'm sure lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: carb cleaner?
Reply #1 - 06/18/09 at 12:22:31

It says it on the bottle how much to use per how many gallons. I believe the stp bottle says use full bottle for 5 gallons or more.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 - 06/18/09 at 16:56:00

Sea-Foam states for really dirty carbs, to run it straight/undiluted.  I would think STP and others, since they are also in "jet fuel/gas" could do the same...but that's just a guess.

In other words, I wouldn't be too worried about getting it just right...

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #3 - 06/18/09 at 17:07:09

read the back it will say something liek "use this bottle with XX gallons of gas" use your best estimation...
Some stuff has like built in measuring marks on the bottle, i spotted my neices like 8 yr old baby bottle in the garage that worked perfect.

Have you taken the carb out yet? If you do (was fun when i first did it) clean as much as you can take apart. i hear carb cleaner is bad for the rubber parts.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 06/18/09 at 19:13:58

i haven't taker her apart yet, the 2 days i couldn't ride killed me! so if i don't have to i don't want to...yet!

she's been running amazing since the incident so i'm thinking she's ok!

my friend who's ridden all his life goes "that singles a 500?"

no 650

"HOLY CRAP! nah u can't kill that thing that easy!"

made me feel better!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
kenshi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shelton, Washington
Reply #5 - 06/18/09 at 20:49:08

i have used carb cleaner before, i only put about 4 or 5 caps full per tank, ran great after about 4 tank fills. Before that was hesitating and idle was a little choppy.
Runs much better. I only do it a couple tanks a year now, no problems and has been 4 years.

If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #6 - 06/19/09 at 03:58:16

I read on the net that gas additives are a waste of money as gas all ready has cleaners in it. the same with oil additives.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 06/19/09 at 04:24:39

I've used it on both my Marauder and Savage when they were running rough from gunk, and highly concentrated got them both running great within a few minutes (Sea-foam, straight into carb while running for my Marauder).

That was after trying to get the Marauder to run for a 1/2-1 hour before that and it would only run 1-2 seconds.  With the Sea-Foam, the Marauder would start and run for 1-2 seconds, then 3-4 seconds, then 5-6 seconds, and within a few minutes was purring.

I don't believe in using the stuff in cars if you use good gas, but for bikes, they've worked very well for me.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 06/19/09 at 08:09:23

sweeet! that sounds like a plan! i will put a couple of cap fulls then put the rest in my car!

i bet it's just a high octance gas that ignites and blows the crap out lol

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/19/09 at 08:24:53

Actually, ethyl alcohol and naphtha distillates make up the greatest percentage of most of most of them -- they dissolve gas residues and then the stuff gets sucked through the engine and sent out the exhaust pipe as dirty smoky exhaust.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 06/19/09 at 09:04:55

and just to check 87 octane is ok right? i don't see y anything higher would be needed lol

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 06/19/09 at 10:45:18

Rocco wrote on 06/19/09 at 09:04:55:
and just to check 87 octane is ok right?

87 is what the manual says.  I ran 93 during the break-in period of my '06 and the pipe isn't near as blue as some of the other I've seen.  I switched back to 87 at about 1500 miles (at 6700 now) and didn't notice any difference.

You may want to avoid non-name brand gas stations.  Although they are usually name-brand gas, they tend to get the nasty stuff at the bottom of the tanks from the tank farms.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/19/09 at 11:27:54

I have been using 87 octane in my bikes for years with good results. The octane rating does not  matter as much as the additives.

MTBE is part of the summer blend here in Phoenix. It is there to help prevent smog.
Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether (MTBE) is part of the summer blend here in Phoenix and hits the pump about April through October. Our pump fuels also contain ethanol. Both of these tend to make my bikes fun like crap.
Below is an excerpt from Fuel Testers . Com, http://www.fuel-testers.com/mtbe_ethanol.html

Fuel that did not contain ethanol had a shelf life of several years; Unlike ethanol-blend fuels which remain stable for a maximum of only 90-100 days.
Test results on ethanol blend fuel shelf life were performed under ideal conditions (70 % humidity, properly sealed fuel system, lack of presence of rain/snow, etc.) - Therefore it is safe to assume that the shelf life and stability of fuels containing ethanol is much shorter than 90-100 days.

I found that using a fuel injector additive to my gas about every fourth tank made a significant difference. My bikes were my primary transport and were in daily service. Down times of over a week created issues during the summer months. This is why I switched to aviation gas for bikes that were to be out of service, as I posted earlier.
I would look at the ethanol content of your gas and think of it as High Fructose Corn Syrup...great for candy, not so much for gasoline.
JohnBoy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:38:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb cleaner?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.