Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A simple seat mod trick (Read 720 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A simple seat mod trick
06/18/09 at 11:11:36

For those of you contemplating changing the foam in your seat, I have an idea that helped me.
When you remove the seat cover you will discover that the seat pan has a number of ridges and low spots that appear to add strength and rigidity to the plastic. I believe that these ridges in conjunction with the cheap foam go a long way to the discomfort that our seats are famous for.
When diamond jim rebuilt his seat he used expanding foam spray to fill these in areas. If I understand his post he did a lot of grinding to remove the excess foam and smooth out the seat pan. I know that I did! As the foam expands you have very little control over where it goes. After the third application of spray foam, trying to fill in the low spots, a light bulb went off. The wife had a Teflon ironing sheet about 15”square. I apply foam and wait for it to rise (about five minutes) and then cover it with the Teflon. You can now work the adhesive foam into the voids and low spots with your palms. When the foam sets ( at least an hour) up you simply peel off the Teflon sheet and reapply foam as needed. Way easier!
I hope some of you find this helpful.

JohnBoy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: A simple seat mod trick
Reply #1 - 06/18/09 at 21:47:36

Good idea about the teflon.  I didn't do much grinding though.  Sprayed the foam, went to bed, got up in the morning and took a loose hacksaw blade and, similarly to filleting a fish, just let the blade rest on the plastic as I worked it across the seat pan.  But with the teflon or other cover I can see where you can work it in and make sure it gets really good into all of the recesses.  The spray foam is a pretty nifty trick, though.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 06/19/09 at 07:33:22

I would imagine one of those "cheese graters" that you get to form plastic body filler before it's completely hard would work pretty good too. Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/19/09 at 12:17:38

I just discovered that a small paint roller works much better than my hands in smoothing the foam into the right areas. Ok...so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 09:37:26

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › A simple seat mod trick

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.