FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: NO LOUD MUFFLER
Reply #46 - 06/18/09 at 22:24:32

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE loud pipes......

and that BS flag   Cool

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #47 - 06/19/09 at 00:38:14

Phelonius wrote on 06/18/09 at 15:23:06:
Educatedredneck wrote on 06/17/09 at 22:51:53:
My Hard Chrome Drag Pipie is loud, and I like it that way.  I even had a state trooper ride along side of me, gave me the thumbs up as he pulled away.  

If your pipe is too loud, wear ear plugs!!! Grin Grin Grin

Was he motioning for you to get out of town?

Nope, I was riding on the beltway going to work, just cruising along, hitting the throttle whenever I when under an overpass - fun stuff.

Phelonius

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #48 - 06/19/09 at 06:29:43

One man's noise is another man's music.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #49 - 06/19/09 at 06:43:32

Well, I can only speak from my experience. When I'm driving in the car and I hear loud pipes, I know that a bike is around. There are a couple of blind spots in my car.

When I'm riding on roads without sidewalks, I watch people slowly walk away from the road, and bicycles riding side by side go single file when I'm approaching. There are some serious bicycle riders around here. Out of respect for them, I do not seriously open throttle when I pass. I just cruise by.

Clutch and open throttle, or a quick twist of throttle is louder than my horn.

What I do not do is abuse the sound of my Trapp and become a nuisance. There's no need to mess around with the throttle while I'm waiting at a light next to a car with their windows open and little Johnny leaning out. Pedestrians? When I know that they know I'm coming, I'll coast by them. I know for a fact that my Trapp has saved my arse a couple of times. Highway riding for sure. And of course, there will be people who are just listening to loud music, who don't hear you, or could care one way or another.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #50 - 06/19/09 at 18:16:56

After running with stock cans and having to do a panic stop for a couple deer at night (our brakes might not be on par with a good sportbike, but nevertheless they get 'er done!)... I got out the drill and made some holes and monkeyed with the idle mix screw to compensate.

I don't care if the sound isn't very refined (at idle it sounds like a cross between an ATV and an Apache helicopter), I read somewhere that low-frequency sounds are omnidirectional a.k.a. the sound goes in all directions.  Just having that extra sound pouring out is going to help with the critters up ahead during nighttime riding.

As for the cagers and snotty sportbike riders (no, not you Sir Mick) who cut me off, merge into my lane, tailgate, etc etc, at least they have lights and/or reflectors so I can make a best effort at avoiding them, whether they can hear me or not.  In my city there's a large population of deaf/hearing-impaired students, and I've noticed many drivers signing to their passengers at redlights.  I can never safely assume cagers can hear louder pipes, at least in my area.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #51 - 06/19/09 at 19:59:17

alcoa wrote on 06/17/09 at 03:45:10:
I do not think a loud muffler makes you any safer. I have been passed by a loud bike and did not hear it till it was beside me and in front. Now when its loud enought to blow you out of the car all it did was piss me off about motorcycles and I drive one. I also like to come and go without letting everyone know, whats your take on this? Smiley

+1  Smiley

Loud pipes lose rights: Rider training saves lives!

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #52 - 06/19/09 at 20:02:59

I have to agree that loud pipes do indeed save lives. Many times I have nearly bought it because some cager didn't see or hear me, but once I changed my pipe to a much louder one, I have not had that problem near as much. Also a quick clutch and yank on the throttle does much more for me than the horn.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #53 - 06/20/09 at 07:56:00

Additional:
During work I stopped in a MC accessory store in the town of Belmar. I ride through that town several times a week. I got to talking to the owner about the new town noise ordinance, which had a heavy focus on Motorcycles. She said that the police have been setting up random MC checkpoints in the town and are stopping all bikes, and almost everyone gets some sort of ticket. They check the pipes first to see if they're stock. If not, you get a ticket. Then they check the helmets to determine if they're DOT and have the reflective stickers on the back and sides as required by NJ law. If you're guilty of pipes, and or, helmet violations, they'll offer you a choice of ticket; Helmet or pipes?

This ordinance was spawned by numerous complaints, some of which were brought up at the town council meetings. Some of the council minutes from last year:

PUBLIC HEARING: Public Session on resolutions only on the Agenda. We will
continue to have a Public Session at the end of this meeting.

Public Hearing:  

Mike Marino, asked what the police department has done about motorcycle noise.  Chief Hill explained that have inspected several motorcycles and they are all incompliance with the state regulations.

Chief Hill stated New Hope has done some things to try to stop motorcycle noise and he could look into what they did.

Mr. Marino also asked if anything was done about mosquitoes.  Ms. Kirk stated she did
contact the Mosquito Commission and will contact them again.

Neil Scheck, stated the budget hearing was announced and well attended.  
He also stated he is bothered by loud motorcycles.

I wonder if the mosquitoes are getting many tickets.

FSO
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #54 - 06/20/09 at 08:27:47

diamond jim wrote on 06/18/09 at 22:12:12:

LMFAO Totaly agree. I likes mine...LOUD. Cagers do whatever the hell they want with, and to, there gas guzzling monstrosities and I have to worry about giving US a bad name? IMO they should be kissing my ass. NOT the other way around.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #55 - 06/20/09 at 15:36:28

Motorcycles have always been loud.  Many decades after the motorcycle was invented muffler technology started to catch up.  

If your bike is loud but you conduct yourself in a courteous manner, people don't seem to have much of a problem.  If your bike is loud and you are speeding excessively, racing each other, doing wheelies, lane splitting, overall being a butthead people seem to suddenly have a major problem with the exhaust volume.  When the behavior is offensive the loud exhaust becomes offensive.  

Case in point- You're on the highway and pass an old geezer on a loud HD dresser who is wearing a safety vest riding conservatively, and then you get passed by a kid being a butthead on a bike every bit as loud, doing 30mph over the speed limit, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, who do think elicits the overwhelming majority of complaints from cagers regarding loud pipes?  

Loud pipes are exceptionally common on bikes.  They seem normal when behavior is normal.  They seem offensive when behavior is offensive.  

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #56 - 06/20/09 at 16:56:04

Mr. Hyde wrote on 06/19/09 at 06:29:43:
One man's noise is another man's music.

Tru dat!  Wink

Beside, who gets to decide what's loud and what's not? I got too many people now telling me what I can and can't do, when they should be minding their own business. Free country my a$$!  Angry

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #57 - 06/20/09 at 17:30:33

diamond jim wrote on 06/20/09 at 15:36:28:
Motorcycles have always been loud.  Many decades after the motorcycle was invented muffler technology started to catch up.  

If your bike is loud but you conduct yourself in a courteous manner, people don't seem to have much of a problem.  If your bike is loud and you are speeding excessively, racing each other, doing wheelies, lane splitting, overall being a butthead people seem to suddenly have a major problem with the exhaust volume.  When the behavior is offensive the loud exhaust becomes offensive.  

Case in point- You're on the highway and pass an old geezer on a loud HD dresser who is wearing a safety vest riding conservatively, and then you get passed by a kid being a butthead on a bike every bit as loud, doing 30mph over the speed limit, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, who do think elicits the overwhelming majority of complaints from cagers regarding loud pipes?  

Loud pipes are exceptionally common on bikes.  They seem normal when behavior is normal.  They seem offensive when behavior is offensive.  

Ayuppp, thats about the whole of it. I can roll past a hospital & not bother anyone, or I could upset a lot of folks, if I chose to be inconsiderate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #58 - 06/20/09 at 19:47:14

Posted by: Yonuh Adisi      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:02:59
" Also a quick clutch and yank on the throttle does much more for me than the horn. "

A quick throttle release followed by a toggle of the kill switch can be effective.  SMACKITY CRAPPLE POP!  

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 06/20/09 at 20:41:07

I'm followin' a fat @$$ed loud piper down the 210 at rush hour.
every time someone doesn't notice and move over a little, he rips one off.
He's king of the road so there's no chance he'll let me by.  So I sit back and watch the show.
A 2wheeled chippy comes runnin' up my tail pipe so I let him by just in time for fatso to let one rip   Shocked  He doesn't notice chip cause he's pulled up next to road hog to let him know he has to curtsy when he goes by.  I think chippies ear flaps bulge out to near burstin' from the steam comin' out of his ears.  Fatso pulls in front of roadie to let chippy go by (please) but chippy pulls up to fatso and I think the HD badge melted off the tank.  An impressive amount of arm waving and jawing that would send most bikers into several lane changes, but chippy kept it dead steady.  Chippy must of ran out of breath or was worried that someone would run over the melted badges and pop a tire.   Grin  Fatso and I resumed our lane splittin' w/o any more rips or even a toot.  He even let me by a little later.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NO LOUD MUFFLER

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.