Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: NO LOUD MUFFLER
Reply #15 - 06/17/09 at 13:49:43

Loud pipes alienate people and give motorcycling a bad rap, you can't hear the siren of an emergency vehicle, you will soon have hearing aids the size of alarm clocks hanging out of your ears, they attract cops....need I go on?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/17/09 at 14:32:12

Define loud. Louder than stock? Or is a Supertrapp w/ 14 baffles loud? I run next to cars that arent stock. They have nice sounding exhausts. Not ear splitting, but one would be hard pressed to call it quiet. Some people want it LOUD. They dont care if the performance sux, as long as its loud. I just want the best performance. That requires more air flow than stock. The bike barks & growls & sounds good to me. I know theres more performance in there. Maybe Ill have to remove a few baffles to get it, IDK, but the sound of the exhaust will be a function of tuning for performance, not noise level. I wont shrink from some fear of the perception of others in doing so.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #17 - 06/17/09 at 14:58:23

I DISAGREE.

I run an open exhaust w/ a fat, empty muffler at the end;
the sound is deep and rich and my GF can hear me coming
2 blocks away and my dog about 4 blocks away it seems
(about 1/2 mile), I really try not to rev at all in my block.

My point is that this kind of sound travels in all directions and
at low speeds ANYONE can hear you (or something) coming
so they instinctively use their mirrors and look around and
most accident statistically happen at low speeds close to home/work/etc.

** I like this animal thing, never thought about it but it's SO true.

...(listen, ppl are stoopid enough as it is) Loud pipes save lives, no doubt about it!

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/17/09 at 15:43:41

I don;t care for the loud on my own bikes but I enjoy a good healthy rumble that doesn't evoke pain.
I   am learning to like the stealth of the Morph.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #19 - 06/17/09 at 17:50:58

alcoa wrote on 06/17/09 at 03:45:10:
I do not think a loud muffler makes you any safer. I have been passed by a loud bike and did not hear it till it was beside me and in front...

That bike must not have been very loud or your definition of loud differs from mine.  Me, I only occasionally come across a bike that I think is loud.  Not too often, honestly.  But to the little old lady down the road just about every bike is probably loud to her.  Definitions  differ.  

The newly-introduced Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 deals with the issues of electric vehicles being too quiet.  
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/04/23/pedestrian-safety-enhancement-act-int...  Some companies are already one step ahead of this legislation with products intended to add some extra sound to silent vehicles.

"... Other people, including pedestrians who are not blind, bicyclists, runners, and small children, also benefit from hearing the sound of vehicle engines. New vehicles that employ hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent, rendering them extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and pedestrians come into proximity with each other."

Apparently they believe a louder car reduces accidents as compared to quieter cars.  Now I'm no traffic safety engineer, but I think the same would apply to motorcycles.  I bet one day someone will do some research and find out that quiet scooters can be more dangerous in blind spots and blind intersections than a loud motorcycle.  I don't need the research to know this but some do.

Also: http://www.bikernewsonline.com/2008/04/pedestrian-safety-enhancement-act-of.htm

A few times in my life I;ve almost pulled out in front of a bike that I didn't see.  But I've never almost pulled out in front of a bike that I heard coming.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #20 - 06/17/09 at 18:23:28

All I know is that after I put on a louder pipe (loud is all relative) I definitely noticed a pattern of more awareness by other drivers of my presence on the road. If it gives them an extra second of pause before they pull out in front of me, I'll take it.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #21 - 06/17/09 at 18:55:40

+1 Rogue.  

Look, there are some situations where even super loud pipes will make little difference- if the radio in the vehicle is blaring, riding in a truck with some serious off-road tires, an 18 wheeler cruising down the interstate and such.  But much more often than not louder pipes do improve recognition on some level.  Recognition improves safety and helps keep my body healthy just the way I like it.  If I ever get into a car vs. bike, I bet it will be a teenage boy driving a truck with some serious off-road tires (daddy pimped my ride!), with the subs pumpin' 50 Cent (daddy's money again) and he pulls out just after the 18 wheeler passes.  

IP Logged
abotech
YaBB Newbies

A.T.G.A.T.T.- All
The Gear All The
Time

Reply #22 - 06/17/09 at 20:49:20

Trains run over deer and other critters quite often. If loud pipes save lives, Imagine what proper training and safety gear could do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/17/09 at 21:46:39

abotech wrote on 06/17/09 at 20:49:20:
Trains run over deer and other critters quite often. If loud pipes save lives, Imagine what proper training and safety gear could do.

How do you train a cager to get his head out of his @$$?

I toodlelin down the freeway, rush hour traffic riding even with an illegal dark tinted drivers window cager.  When he decides to occupy my lane.  Needles to say I make a quick lane change.  A couple of months later I got a supertrapp and it hasn't happened since.

Now I'm not a proponet for wake the dead loud pipes, but you mouse fart stock pipe guys will soon be dead wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #24 - 06/17/09 at 22:51:53

My Hard Chrome Drag Pipie is loud, and I like it that way.  I even had a state trooper ride along side of me, gave me the thumbs up as he pulled away.  

If your pipe is too loud, wear ear plugs!!! Grin Grin Grin

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #25 - 06/18/09 at 01:02:40

I have to say, that on one occasion so far my louder pipes have kept a car from encroaching all the way into my lane.  Was making a left turn in the outer of 2 left turn lanes.  The car beside me starts to veer from the inner lane to the outter (mine!) lane.  I hit the throttle to get out of the way, and she heard me and got back in her lane. Grin  I will say however, I don't care for the super loud pipes either.  And I don't think louder pipes (mine anyway) help near as much on the highway as they do on the surface streets where they are easier to hear in all directions from you, not just behind. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #26 - 06/18/09 at 03:44:02

Look it up on the web those who dont like loud mufflers american motorcycle assocation and even H.D. All the loud mufflers due is give us all a bad name. Angry

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #27 - 06/18/09 at 04:49:42

Do loud pipes increase the chances of being seen in all situations? I doubt it. One area I believe loud pipes increase safety is while in someones blind spot. (Yes I know better than riding in blind spots but anytime you pass a car you have to go through it.) Will it always save you from being run over by somebody? Probably not. But if it saves me once a year or even in a lifetime from an accident that would put me in the hospital then it is well worth it. It is one of the many things I do to make my rides safer and I will continue to do it until I am told I cannot. I pass patrol cars every day and have never been pulled over. People hate motorcycles for various reasons and I doubt very seriously if many of them would change their mind if we all put our stock exhausts back on today. If you ride your bike through residential areas wide open at 3 AM with a drag pipe and no baffle you are an idiot and you will probably get a ticket but there are idiots in all walks of life not just bikers. www.lubedealer.com/1lube  

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #28 - 06/18/09 at 09:10:04

When on an inner city 8 lane highway, with traffic in every lane doing 55-60+, I don't think the car on my right can even hear my horn if I did blow it...  I wish there was a way to make that notorious savage backfire do it on demand Tongue

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #29 - 06/18/09 at 09:55:51

Balderdash wrote on 06/18/09 at 09:10:04:
When on an inner city 8 lane highway, with traffic in every lane doing 55-60+, I don't think the car on my right can even hear my horn if I did blow it...

Man, get an extra-loud horn.  Not the Stebel 139db one, that one would probably startle the driver into a sudden swerve.  I just picked up a $20 132db horn and relay from Autozone.. may do a thread when I get around to installing it.

As for the loud pipes, IMO the stock HD dyna pipe is plenty loud for you to be noticed when you're on the gas, yet quiet enough to idle away from your neighbors in the morning. Perfect!

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NO LOUD MUFFLER

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.