Send Topic Print
NO LOUD MUFFLER (Read 764 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

NO LOUD MUFFLER
06/17/09 at 03:45:10

I do not think a loud muffler makes you any safer. I have been passed by a loud bike and did not hear it till it was beside me and in front. Now when its loud enought to blow you out of the car all it did was piss me off about motorcycles and I drive one. I also like to come and go without letting everyone know, whats your take on this? Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Re: NO LOUD MUFFLER
Reply #1 - 06/17/09 at 04:15:31

its much harder to hear motorcycles on the highway, especially with your windows up. On backroads, stop and go traffic, etc, etc. it is much easier to hear motorcycles when they have loud pipes.

on the highway, near pointless...

in all other traffic situations.... may be the difference between life and paralysis.

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 06/17/09 at 04:48:36

alcoa wrote on 06/17/09 at 03:45:10:
I do not think a loud muffler makes you any safer. I have been passed by a loud bike and did not hear it till it was beside me and in front. Now when its loud enought to blow you out of the car all it did was piss me off about motorcycles and I drive one. I also like to come and go without letting everyone know, whats your take on this? Smiley

I agree.  I recently changed my muffler and went with a HD take off, I am glad it is not any louder.  It seems to me that the noise is mostly behind you, after you are gone, so how does that really offer a warning to anyone you are approaching?  (Maybe it will keep someone from running over you from behind)  I like to come and go without alot of attention myself as well.

I guess it is a matter of preference, if you want loud pipes, it does not bother me.  Kind of like color and bling to me.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
ja01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

lenoir NC 28645
Reply #3 - 06/17/09 at 04:51:48

I am with you there on being Quite.
I would not mind if mine made no sound at all. I like the sneak approach.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 06/17/09 at 05:09:50

Mine's stock.  There are times when I leave my house before 6 AM and have to ride through the neighborhood before I get to a larger street.

All loud pipes do is to annoy people while destroying the rider's hearing!

Still, I wouldn't mind just a bit more rumble from my exhaust!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 06/17/09 at 09:32:18

Depends on your definition of "others".  Since over half my daily riding is rural country roads, the volume over stock is great for clearing the ever present varmint on and along the roadsides.  I usually see their hind ends as they're scurrying into the brush as opposed to a last second split for safety that I experienced with the stock can.  Mine's medium loud.  On a scale of 1-10 with stock being 1 and straight open pipe being 10, mine's about a 6-7.  It's also a nice quality motorcycle sound, not the angry lawnmower noise that results from poorly designed and executed exhaust mods.  And the idea that sound doesn't project forward?  Hogwash.  You can tell when things up ahead react to the sound before you get there.  Why waste money on those "deaf child" signs then if they can't hear you coming anyways.  Besides varmint, stray dogs, cats, people riding their bikes, people just over the hill checking their mail at the roadside mailbox, road crews just around the corner directing traffic, etc.  Come to think of it, I hear motorcycles all the time.  I know I hear them a heck of a lot more often than I don't.  When I hear one, I look around to see what kind of bike it is and whether I know the rider or not.  I figure for everyone I didn't hear, there where another 15 that I did.  

It certainly makes me and a lot of "others" safer.  If a scooter exhaust works for you then go for it.  

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/17/09 at 09:57:45

I don't believe it makes you safer as far as other drivers. Loud pipes just sound cool as long as they are not too loud. A good rumble is nice. I also like Jim's point about clearing the varmints from the road. As far as personal safety goes, loud pipes are not going to save you no matter what. The only thing that will is your own personal dedication to being a safe rider.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/09 at 09:59:27

I must agree with DJ.  My area is also mostly country roads and my louder muffler has scattered roadside animals before I get to them.  I can see them running away.  I also see people turning their heads towards my noise, as I approach.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 06/17/09 at 10:23:04

My S40 has a Sportster muff.  Just last weekend, one of my employees and I were going to lunch, riding thru a small town.  He was ahead of me on his Honda Ruckus scooter, (which he always rides on short trips, leaving his big Honda behind) and I was on my S40.

When we got to the eatery, he commented that he could hear my bike all the way for the 2 or 3 miles we rode in tandem.

So, for what it's worth, he heard me while he was in front, not behind.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 06/17/09 at 10:31:13

I agree with Jerry. When I had my Harley my wife always said she could hear me coming miles away. Besides I really, really like the sound of loud pipes. Always throws me back in time.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/17/09 at 10:41:24

When your in a car the windows are up that would make a lot of difference,As far as hearing a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/17/09 at 11:39:12

To the death, the blind and the stupid (cue theme song) doesn't matter how loud your pipes are, how bright your lights are or how nasty you look, for them you must drive defensibly.

But if a loud pipe helps only one person who honestly doesn't want to run me over, it is worth having.

If bright lights and uncool reflectors helps only one person who honestly doesn't want to run me over, it is worth having.

If being nasty helps only one person who honestly doesn't want to run me over, it is worth being.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #12 - 06/17/09 at 12:00:36

alcoa wrote on 06/17/09 at 03:45:10:

Ditto

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/17/09 at 12:06:46

my SE is for the idiot behind me who's eating a burger, switching cd's, lighitng a cigarette and talking on the phone at the same time while trying to switch lanes. If i can disrupt his cell phone conversation then good. He might stare daggers at me for the next 10 miles but in doing so he knows exactly where the hell i am. mission accomplished.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/17/09 at 12:41:48

I used to ware a tee shirt that said "Hang UP and Drive!"in big letters, until the irates started using it as a target.
Always remember...We are the bug on their windshield.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:36:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NO LOUD MUFFLER

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.