Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Definitive test results of various air filters (Read 356 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Definitive test results of various air filters
06/16/09 at 10:10:27

Attached is a link to a major test of air filter types, using expensive, state of the art testing equipment.  The reason this type of testing equipment is necessary is because the human eye cannot determine how much dirt passed into your engine's cylinder, by just looking.  Dirt may get sucked into a cylinder without leaving a trail on a filter or inside a carburetor.  

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The report is long but well worth reading.  It shows that NOTHING filters air as well as a paper filter.  K&N's cotton gauze is one of the least effective, as you will see.

Although not mentioned in the test results, it is important to remember that paper air filters cannot be cleaned and re-used, due to their filtering the sticky petroleum contaminants found in exhaust fumes and industrial airborne pollution.  The solutions needed to wash these contaminants out would destroy the paper filter.

« Last Edit: 06/16/09 at 15:34:22 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Definitive test results of various air filters
Reply #1 - 06/16/09 at 18:58:04

K&Ns aren't as bad as that test makes them seem. From http://www.hondacrf230l.com/index.php/topic,91.0.html

K&Ns are much less restrictive than paper filters when clean. There's no advantage to that unless it's matched with other mods (uncorked exhaust, rich jetting) and even then only at higher RPMs (yes, we know).

K&Ns become much more restrictive and pass much more dirt toward the end of the cycle, close to the "maximum restriction limit." It's almost an exponential curve. So it looks like you REALLY have to stay on top of the cleanings and don't try to milk each cleaning/oiling for all it's worth.  If you do, you'll only get 96.8% efficiency (worst in the test) vs. 99.9% (best). But the majority of that 3.1% difference is in the last third of the cycle. The K&N actually did better than the overall best filter in the first third of the cycle. Their efficiency crosses at about 9.5in H2O restriction pressure. The trick is to not let your filter get so dirty that it crosses that line (like I'm going to measure it)  Grin

I'm really glad I got the car filter type pleats instead of the KLR filter.. What do car filters usually run.. 15,000 miles?  Because of the info in the article, I'm going to be sure to clean the filter along with every oil change, or 1000 miles.  Any dusty trail rides, and it's straight to the cleaners regardless of miles. By pointing that article out, you saved my engine some dirt!  Conclusion: K&Ns aint for industrial purposes.

I also think the test is biased against oiled-media filters.  Both the K&N and the post filters were weighed before and after the test, but that fails to account for airborne oil transfer.

Throughout the test, microscopic droplets of the oil go airborne (otherwise how could you smell it?) and are condensed in the test station's post filter, which I bet is initially dry. That additional weight gets logged as dirt passed by the K&N,  and the weight of the oil blown off the K&N hurts its "dirt retained" calculation.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/09 at 19:30:26

The link you provided consists of a link quoting part of the of the link I initially posted, and the opinions of other posters.  Unless I'm missing something, what data is in your link to support your suggesting that that the comprehensive testing that was done, is exaggerated, concerning K&N?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 06/16/09 at 19:48:06

The link points to comments about the exact same ISO 5011 test which is linked in the thread and here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=180100&postid=1864002

I mean, it's not just the same test procedure, it's the exact same test.  They didn't even bother to make a different graphic with the same data. The data isn't in question anyway.. the point is that the results are biased against oiled filters (not just K&Ns) by the design of the test.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/09 at 20:18:21

Sorry, but I don't agree with your interpretation or suggestion that this major test is biased against oiled filters.  The Testand Corp engineers who did these tests clearly know exactly what they are doing and wouldn't risk their company's reputation in the field by publishing  info that could be so easily disproved or attacked; especially by those not trained in the subject; and it would make no sense if one were to suspect that this test had hidden agendas.  Testand has nothing to gain by being deceitful or biased.  Furthermore, K&N has been tested a number of times in less definitive tests, and every one I've seen on the Internet shows sub-standard results for K&N, its clones and of course foam filters.  Anyone who wants to spend the time can also search the net for these less thorough test results.

Despite all this, I myself use a cheap cone style cotton gauze filter oiled with KN oil, which probably lets everything pass through it except for rocks.  But it sure sounds nice to hear the intake howl as it sucks in air.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 06/16/09 at 20:45:30

I'm not suggesting that there is any hidden agenda or that the engineers are being purposely deceitful, have a stake in it, or anything like that.. no strawman arguments please.

I'm sure the engineers are all very bright, trained, certified and any other argument from authority you can think of.  But the question remains: How does the test distinguish between dust passed by the filter, and oil blown off the filter?  And in the test station's post-filter, how do they distinguish between dust and oil condensed in it?

If you've got some links to those less-definitive tests, I'll be glad to take a look at them.  Especially those to do with long term engine wear (we want our engines to last as long as possible, right  Wink ) and preferably something where oiled filter/dry filter is properly isolated as a variable.

Also, if K&Ns are to be lumped in with all oiled gauze and foam filters as crap, why is oiled foam almost universally used for off roading where dust levels are the highest?  Or in terms of filter longevity on the street, what do you think of Oldfeller's Nu-Foam filter?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/16/09 at 21:15:49

You said the tests are biased, and that suggests deceit.  Do you suppose the testing engineers would be unaware that their tests were biased?  And if they were aware, it would have been deceitful of them to knowingly present biased results as fact.  No 'strawmen' here.

How do you know that oil is "blown off" the filter? Do you think KN and other oiled filter designers would design filters which; when used according to instructions; allowed oil to be vacuumed into your engine, and risk having the public find this out?  How do you know that oil and dust are condensed and passed through the filter? Your argument that the oil leaves the filter because you can smell it, is invalid without supporting data.  Filter oil is made up of various chemistries, so if you are smelling something, it may be a other added chemistry that may be harmless to an engine, and not "airborne oil droplets". The other chemistries may be vaporizing, leaving the oil on the filter.  There is no way for your nose to know what it is smelling, unless you have test data analyzing the vapors, or test data analyzing the chemistry of what the testing equipment collected.  I used to use KN filters on my cars and bikes, and I never saw any evidence of oil in the carb mouth or anywhere else. However, perhaps I did not read the test results I posted carefully enough, so if there are test results describing oil passing through the filter or condensing with dust and passing through, please correct me and you will have my apologies.

As for the less definitive tests on the 'net, you can find them by using your search engine.  The test link I provided was all I saved because it is the most definitive there is.  

Foam filters are used on off-road vehicles because any filter will clog  quickly when off roading in dusty areas.  I've done a great deal of off roading and the reason for the foam filters is because when you stop for a break, you can quickly remove the clogged foam filter, wash it with the water and detergent or bar of soap you brought along,  ring it out and oil soak it again.  I've had to do this several times a day, off roading in the desert.  If you also use that vehicle for street use, you then remove the foam filter and re install the factory unit.  The foam unit is a compromise for that very reason.  It does not filter as well as a paper unit, but unless you want to bring along a box of spare filters, you must use the washable foam unit.

I did not suggest that KN and foam filters are "crap".  

« Last Edit: 06/16/09 at 23:59:19 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 06/17/09 at 10:16:41

Arthur wrote on 06/16/09 at 21:15:49:
You said the tests are biased, and that suggests deceit.  

Deceit is both deliberate and significant. Bias can be accidental and/or insignificant.

Quote:
Do you suppose the testing engineers would be unaware that their tests were biased?  And if they were aware, it would have been deceitful of them to knowingly present biased results as fact.

It's possible they didn't consider the oil, as the test is primarily for automotive and industrial air filters, only a small percentage of which are oiled.  It's possible they know the effect but consider it insignificant. It's possible they pre-blew the filter with filtered air to lessen the effect, or devised some unspecified way to compensate for it. We don't know. All scientific experiments contain SOME amount of bias BTW.  The engineers drew a line somewhere that probably does not affect the vast majority of their tests but I think may be significant for oiled filters on motorcycles.

Quote:
How do you know that oil is "blown off" the filter? Do you think KN and other oiled filter designers would design filters which; when used according to instructions; allowed oil to be vacuumed into your engine, and risk having the public find this out?  How do you know that oil and dust are condensed and passed through the filter? Your argument that the oil leaves the filter because you can smell it, is invalid without supporting data.

Naw, it's valid.  Anything that you smell off a filter is a collection of molecules that have evaporated off of it and gone up your nose. As far as the public perception of oil going into the engine (ruined sensors and whatnot) the filter manufacturer can always claim over-oiling. They probably formulate the oil sticky enough so that it would take a severe over-oiling to foul any sensors.

Quote:
Filter oil is made up of various chemistries, so if you are smelling something, it may be a other added chemistry that may be harmless to an engine, and not "airborne oil droplets". The other chemistries may be vaporizing, leaving the oil on the filter.  There is no way for your nose to know what it is smelling, unless you have test data analyzing the vapors, or test data analyzing the chemistry of what the testing equipment collected.  I used to use KN filters on my cars and bikes, and I never saw any evidence of oil in the carb mouth or anywhere else. However, perhaps I did not read the test results I posted carefully enough, so if there are test results describing oil passing through the filter or condensing with dust and passing through, please correct me and you will have my apologies.

For purposes of the test, who cares about the chemical makeup of the molecules that evaporate off the filter? Whether they are the heaviest paraffins, olefins, asphalt, or lower flash point components considered "oils" or the lightest aromatics like butane, they all have mass and therefore don't contribute to the weight of the filter after the test.

Your requests for the chemical analysis of the vapors and that the condensed vapors be considered, isolated from the dust and weighed in a lab, are impossible red herrings. I don't need to provide this (likely non-existent) lab data to validate a phenomenon you know darn well is occurring.  I don't expect or want an apology, and I'll understand if it just isn't your style to say "Oh yeah, thanks" when someone points out something you didn't notice at first, but that might refine your thinking on a subject.

Quote:
Foam filters are used on off-road vehicles because any filter will clog  quickly when off roading in dusty areas.  I've done a great deal of off roading and the reason for the foam filters is because when you stop for a break, you can quickly remove the clogged foam filter, wash it with the water and detergent or bar of soap you brought along,  ring it out and oil soak it again.  I've had to do this several times a day, off roading in the desert.  If you also use that vehicle for street use, you then remove the foam filter and re install the factory unit.  The foam unit is a compromise for that very reason.  It does not filter as well as a paper unit, but unless you want to bring along a box of spare filters, you must use the washable foam unit.

Washing filters on the fly.. this is good info I hadn't considered, thanks. Ahh, my haunches are getting meatier by the day. Maybe I will try this idea on my dualsport bike, filters $45 apiece!

Quote:
I did not suggest that KN and foam filters are "crap".  

Fine, "sub-standard," potato poTAH-to.. if neglecting the washable/convenience factor of course.

Oldfeller, your herd analogy is hilarious. No worries though, this calf doesn't mind being uh, poked with a cattle prod so long as it directs me to the feed trough so I can get some more meat on me bones.  I'm still curious about what Gort thinks about your Nu-Foam filters for street use.. thick fiberous filter using gear oil not harmful if passed through a Savage carb and engine. Probably even less important with a round slide carb (?)

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/17/09 at 11:29:26

"Naw, it's valid.  Anything that you smell off a filter is a collection of molecules that have evaporated off of it and gone up your nose. As far as the public perception of oil going into the engine (ruined sensors and whatnot) the filter manufacturer can always claim over-oiling. They probably formulate the oil sticky enough so that it would take a severe over-oiling to foul any sensors."

Wrong.  What you smell may not be a complete collection of molecules.  Depending on the product, it may be a partial collection.  Case in point:  Safety Kleen Corp. leases an aqueous parts washing machine, which contains an 'open to the atmosphere', mix of heated water and surfactant chemistry.  The water evaporates out of the machine into the atmosphere, but the surfactant chemistry does not.  It stays behind, and the businesses that use the unit are told to simply add more water when the level is low as a result of evaporation.  Some molecules will stay behind in some circumstances and this may be exactly what is happening to the chemistry on an oiled filter, until you run the tests needed to determine that.  

You state that they "Probably formulate the oil sticky enough so that it would take a severe over oiling to foul any sensors".  Again, you are guessing thats what they do.  You don't know for sure what they do and therefore cannot use a guess to validate any of your conclusions.

"It's possible they didn't consider the oil, as the test is primarily for automotive and industrial air filters, only a small percentage of which are oiled.  It's possible they know the effect but consider it insignificant. It's possible they pre-blew the filter with filtered air to lessen the effect, or devised some unspecified way to compensate for it. We don't know. All scientific experiments contain SOME amount of bias BTW.  The engineers drew a line somewhere that probably does not affect the vast majority of their tests but I think may be significant for oiled filters on motorcycles."  

It is also possible they did consider the oil.  It is just as possible that they do consider the effect significant. Its is also possible they did not pre blow the filter to lessen the effect, and did not devise some unspecified way to compensate it.  As you said, you "don't know".  You cannot use these arguments to validate your claims because you are guessing what they did.

"For purposes of the test, who cares about the chemical makeup of the molecules that evaporate off the filter? Whether they are the heaviest paraffins, olefins, asphalt, or lower flash point components considered "oils" or the lightest aromatics like butane, they all have mass and therefore don't contribute to the weight of the filter after the test."

You care, because you state that they form droplets and are condensed in the test stations post filter, gets logged as dirt and hurts the dirt retained calculation.

"Your requests for the chemical analysis of the vapors and that the condensed vapors be considered, isolated from the dust and weighed in a lab, are impossible red herrings. I don't need to provide this (likely non-existent) lab data to validate a phenomenon you know darn well is occurring.  I don't expect or want an apology, and I'll understand if it just isn't your style to say "Oh yeah, thanks" when someone points out something you didn't notice at first, but that might refine your thinking on a subject."  

Wrong again.  No one knows "darn well" it is occurring, because you do not know which of the molecules has passed through the filter into the testing machine.  Again, you are guessing.

If someone wants to disagree with this test data, they need to substantiate their claims with contradicting data.  Without that, disagreement with the data is nothing more than un-supported opinion, and should be stated as such.   "Knowing darn well" means nothing.

My opinion of Oldfeller's filter is off topic.  Why do you keep trying to draw me into that discussion?  If you want to discuss his filter, start a new thread in the "Rubber Side Down" section.

« Last Edit: 06/17/09 at 16:02:44 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #9 - 06/17/09 at 11:52:43

Gort,
Bottom line is that the test, as presented to us on the web pages, is biased by the fact that oil, solvent, or whatever evaporate off the filter.  It makes no difference if it's a "complete collection" of molecules (whatever that means) or not. ALL things that you smell are molecules that have mass and taint the results to some degree.

There is nothing in the presented test results to indicate that this was considered.  If you think that they were considered and you want to make sweeping conclusions about oiled filters, then the onus is on YOU to look into the full test procedure and explain how it's valid for both kinds of filters.  Otherwise you're just stuck with an incomplete methodology and semi-blind faith in the ISO procedure and engineer credentials.

I think Oldfeller's filter is close enough in design to discuss here, but if you don't want to, that's fine.  If he deleted his post, I don't blame him, as your response was kind of ugly. (I try to imagine Oldfeller as a campy, humorous guy. -- "back in MY DAY.. etc.  Wink )

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:38:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Definitive test results of various air filters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.