Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Too much visibility?
Reply #15 - 06/17/09 at 07:56:09

verslagen1 wrote on 06/16/09 at 07:44:28:
A louder exhaust adds another sense into the warning zone.  The exhaust should be just louder enough to interupt the cell phone conversation of the cage next to you.

How much room do you give a student driver?  Ride like that and you'll have plenty of room.  Ride like a chippy and get nothing.

Not to hijack the thread with a loud pipes debate, but I agree with V on this one. I'm living it every day with the Trapp, and I watch how drivers react when I'm approaching, especially on 2 or 3 lane roads, when people tend to jump lanes. There are blind spots in cars and trucks. So, they can be blind but they still have ears. Well, if they're not listening to music that's louder than my Trapp.

It does get their attention. Hey, it works for me when I'm driving my car and I hear loud pipes. I know that there's a bike approaching.

And what's with the new vehicle headlights? Did they get brighter the last few years? There are many times when I'm riding at night and a car is approaching, I can't see a thing until they pass, especially through unlit farmland roads. I'll hit the light switch and there's pretty much no response, so I'm guessing that their headlights are stock.

FSO
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #16 - 06/17/09 at 09:24:58

I don't use other people's brake lights to see when I have to slow down in a car or a bike - that is unreliable.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #17 - 06/18/09 at 05:23:08

Yes, but sometimes that's the first warning that you get, and your reaction time to the brake light is delayed if you don't see it amongst other bright colors.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
o0MOTORHEAD0o
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/25/09 at 17:54:46

the key is to ride/drive proactivley not reactively  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #19 - 06/25/09 at 20:47:33

"have faith in your ability, its ok to think you are the best rider in the world, as long as you assume everyone else is an abysmal driver, with the occasional homicidal maniac thrown in, and who for no apparent reason will sometimes stop suddenly right in front of you or even drive straight at you. Oncoming traffic may even veer across the road to try and hit you."

PhilM, I love that. Gotta work on commiting that to memory.
I too have seen the dayglow paint jobs, and yes I think it is too distracting. Reading this thread, I stopped to think whether I would notice a brake light, or a slowdown for that matter; and if I'm honest, I might not be paying enough attention to that, over the loud paint job. Could be something to the theory of too much visibility.
Good thread. It's upped my consciousness quotient about how I look at the day glow squids out there. I'll work on noticing riding behavior, and try to tune out some of the visual.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #20 - 06/26/09 at 14:29:46

photojoe FSO wrote on 06/17/09 at 07:56:09:
And what's with the new vehicle headlights? Did they get brighter the last few years? There are many times when I'm riding at night and a car is approaching, I can't see a thing until they pass, especially through unlit farmland roads. I'll hit the light switch and there's pretty much no response, so I'm guessing that their headlights are stock.

The bluer the headlights, the less our eyes contract from the added light.  That makes you (and me and the rest of us) see more glare, plus a longer time for our eyes to re-adjust to normal night lighting.  In addition, the bluer the lights, the more glare bounces back to the original driver's eyes...double trouble.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #21 - 06/26/09 at 15:00:07

PTRider wrote on 06/26/09 at 14:29:46:
photojoe FSO wrote on 06/17/09 at 07:56:09:

The bluer the headlights, the less our eyes contract from the added light.  That makes you (and me and the rest of us) see more glare, plus a longer time for our eyes to re-adjust to normal night lighting.  In addition, the bluer the lights, the more glare bounces back to the original driver's eyes...double trouble.

Which is why those kind of lights are illegal in some states.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 09:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much visibility?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.