serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Too much visibility?
06/15/09 at 05:32:40

I was driving in my car yesterday on an all-day trip and encountered a guy on a Kawasaki sport bike.  His bike was fluorescent lime green.  And he had gone shopping and bought the matching full-face helmet and an even brighter lime green head-to-toe riding suit.  We passed each other back and forth a few times.  And it occurred to me as I watched him up ahead:  If he applied his brake for a sudden stop, would I see his rear brake light in that vast expanse of fluorescent green in plenty of time to miss hitting him?  My answer was:  I don't think so.  

So, my thought is, we should be reasonably visible with some contrasting colors  and then be sure that we watch out for our own space and that of everyone else around us.  But you really can go too far with trying to be "visible."

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Too much visibility?
Reply #1 - 06/15/09 at 06:14:32

I don't know if I buy the theory, but I sure don't want to walk around WallyMart in that kind of get-up...

On the other hand,...I do think our eyes are cued to see what they expect to see, and jeans and a t-shirt are more identifiable to us as a person, than lime green spacesuits...
Maybe you do have something.....  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #2 - 06/15/09 at 06:57:26

Saw one similar last year but all orange. Also a sport bike. What concerned me was that is was so distracting. Made it hard to keep my attention on anything else.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #3 - 06/15/09 at 07:25:43

I've noticed the same thing only last week. I was in the car a very fluorescent bike was in front,  I didn't immediately notice the brake light come on among all the dazzle of the back end. I think good advice is if you are going for bright colors then use the brightest lights you can, to give you back the "contrast".

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 06/15/09 at 07:29:36

i see bright color sport bikes all the time, and they cut people off and do what they want.

just cuz you're in highlighter yellow doesn't mean u don't have to watch out for everyone else!!

my friend said the best way not to get hurt, is make sure you don't ! ! ! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 06/15/09 at 09:03:38

No such thing as too much conspicuity (able to be seen by others), but there might be the wrong type.  I dislike looking at a modulated headlight so I don't look at it long enough to be able to judge the distance and closing rate.

As said above, the very conspicuous bikes need very bright signal and stop lights so the rest of us can see those changes when the lights come on.

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 06/15/09 at 18:31:36

Speaking of headlights, I was on a 450-mile round trip of the Adirondacks a week ago and encountered numerous swarms of sport bikes and cruisers traveling in groups.  Many of the sport biker groups all had their high beams on, and judging from the intensity of the beams, weren't sporting stock headlights either.

It's no problem when one guy wants to be safe and flips his hi-beam on for the day, but when you get 19 of your buddies to join you..... wow. what a nuisance.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #7 - 06/15/09 at 22:41:08

I think any edge you can get in being noticed is a plus. My confort zone when I'm off the bike stays in pretty conventional gear but on the road, the cagers are too distracted these days. I still recall being stuck in stand still traffic on a two lane hwy with about 2-3 car lengths between me and the suv in front of me when the driver decided she couldn't wait any longer and tried to back over me turning around. SUV, tinted back glass, radio on and cell phone stuck to her ear, and when she realized her mistake rolled her power window down to "chastise" me that she "didn't see me for chissake". Horn, loud pipes, headlight (admittedly too low to be seen from the SUV's backglass) and at the time white helmet all for naught. In the end, position to be seen in the driver side mirror is all that saved me. You do what you can and drive like you're invisible!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #8 - 06/16/09 at 02:55:43

Southpaw wrote on 06/15/09 at 22:41:08:
You do what you can and drive like you're invisible!

My bike instructor told me (35 years ago!) something like this..

"have faith in your ability, its ok to think you are the best rider in the world, as long as you assume everyone else is an abysmal driver, with the occasional homicidal maniac thrown in, and who for no apparent reason will sometimes stop suddenly right in front of you or even drive straight at you. Oncoming traffic may even veer across the road to try and hit you."

It stuck, and I still keep an eye out for the oncoming veerers  Undecided

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 06/16/09 at 05:14:35

Somebody said, "Remember:  You're naked and invisibile."  That's probably a good mindset to have.

My oldest and best friend Dan is always reminding me to be very careful if I must ride a motorcycle.  He said another friend of his is a rider and believes that when coming to an intersection he should (and does) flash his headlight from dim to bright back and forth to increase his visibility.  I told Dan I think I'll spend my time and attention on myself, my space, and the space of those around me, instead of flicking a switch up and down hoping I don't get creamed!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 06/16/09 at 06:20:50

I'm starting to believe audibility is as or more important than visibility.  People will look right through something they should see, but they can hear a loud noise no matter where they are looking.  I NEVER have tailgaters since I switched my exhaust, either.  That gives them plenty of time to see my lights before they are danger close.

On the other hand, weaving back and forth in your lane will draw attention pretty well.  Who cares if they think you are an idiot, as long as they know you are there?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/16/09 at 07:44:28

A louder exhaust adds another sense into the warning zone.  The exhaust should be just louder enough to interupt the cell phone conversation of the cage next to you.

How much room do you give a student driver?  Ride like that and you'll have plenty of room.  Ride like a chippy and get nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #12 - 06/17/09 at 03:37:21

I do not think you can be too safe out there.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #13 - 06/17/09 at 05:15:18

High-viz jacket or vest -- good!

Cagers don't orient to bikes, but when they see a viz vest, they think "Highway worker -- I'm not supposed to hit those."

Still, I'd never thought of the problem of seeing the tail lights with an all over day-glo suit and bike!

I guess I'll be keeping my black riding pants after all.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 06/17/09 at 05:47:20

Particularly for night riding, I always try to have a couple pieces of gear with reflective parts on them.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:33:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much visibility?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.