Send Topic Print
what to do with old gas (Read 94 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
what to do with old gas
06/13/09 at 15:48:56

my friend's bike was sitting for 9 months with gas in the tank.  We drained the old gas out but I have no idea how I can dispose of it.  Where can I go?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: what to do with old gas
Reply #1 - 06/13/09 at 15:59:19

Try the 20gal tank of his F150. Two gal of stale pump gas mixed in with 20+ gal of fresh ain't going to make a difference. If he has any issues with that, have him add a bottle of injector cleaner...needs to be cleaned any way!

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/13/09 at 16:10:32

Oh Yeah, if you need to store your bike for an extnded period, go to your local municipal airfield...the small fixed wing strip, and buy aviation gas. They can't pump it into your bike or car, but most will pump it into an approved container.

I ran a 1976 Goldwing for years. If I let it sit for two weeks with pump gas it would not start "period". I could put aviation gas in it and leave it for nine months or a year. With a fresh battery charge and the float bowls primed it would fire on the first crank. The same can be said for a 250 Honda Helix.
Drain the pump gas out and run it dry. Then refill with aviation gas and run it around the block once or twice.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/13/09 at 18:40:46

or use it to kill ants.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/09 at 18:56:01

As I was recently registered with the State of California as an Environmental Assessor, I am familiar with the laws in CA concerning the disposal of your gasoline.  As you are an individual and not a business, legally you can do one of 2 things.  You can use it for the purpose it was intended by pouring it into any gas tank, or you can call your local city hall and ask them the location of the next community hazardous waste round-up and give it to the trained techs who will identify, correctly package and dispose of your waste gasoline.  In some areas, the city will have hazardous waste collection days where they will pick it up from you at your residence.  The easiest legal thing to do is walk up to one of the million illegal aliens in CA and ask him if he wants some free old gas.  He will immediately take it from you and dump it in his gas tank

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #5 - 06/13/09 at 19:06:24

9 months is peanuts, just use it; mix it 50/50 with
fresh gas and use it normally, neither you nor the
bike (or car) will be able to tell a difference.

(it's not rusty, right?)

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 06/13/09 at 23:56:21

I've run my old gas thru the lawn mower(with inline filter) and had no problems. Besides, unlike a motorcycle, if the lawnmower stalls, pushing back home is not a problem.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 06/14/09 at 00:05:35

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 06/13/09 at 19:06:24:
9 months is peanuts, just use it; mix it 50/50 with
fresh gas and use it normally, neither you nor the
bike (or car) will be able to tell a difference.

(it's not rusty, right?)

I believe draining the carb is the key.  Dad has a lot of hayfield tractors that only get used a couple months in the summer.  When he parks them in the fall, he just shuts the fuel off, and runs 'em until they die, to get all the gass out of the carb.  And all they have for filters is maybe a screen, and a sediment bowl.  Of course they're all late '40's, early 50's Internationals, so they're not real finicky. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what to do with old gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.