Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn Signal, Break Light (Wiring) (Read 116 times)
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Turn Signal, Break Light (Wiring)
06/13/09 at 09:52:03

I did a search on this subject and could find anything that answer my questionns directly, so here goes.

I'm in transition of the look of my bike, moding along the way. I have removed both front and rear turn signals.

*First, am I running any risk of the system having to much power? (nothing going to any turn signals)

**Second, then new tail light I ordered is a 2 wire light is that gonna be a problem wiring in?

I noticed on my original that there are 2 wires going to my LP light and 3 going to my break light. My new light only has 2 wires and has the LP light included (meaning it is the same light, small clear window in the bottom of the break light illuminates the plate).

I will eventually be adding turn signals back on. I have those connections well covered and marked for later use. My concern is in the overall inconsistancy of the power distribution. And how the hell do I hook up this 2 wire job?

Thanks for your input.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Turn Signal, Break Light
Reply #1 - 06/13/09 at 10:02:55

You shouldn't have any problem, but you may have to wire in a ground.

(too much power? is that a problem)

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - 06/13/09 at 10:09:12

verslagen1 wrote on 06/13/09 at 10:02:55:
(too much power? is that a problem)

Well I was concerned for fuses, over amprage, etc.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/13/09 at 10:32:57

Nope,  you're fine.  Over amperage, fuses, stuff like that is dependent on how much power is being used not how much is there.  i.e. extra lights...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #4 - 06/13/09 at 10:47:20

Gotcha, thanks. Now I guess I'll just fiddle with the tail light wiring to see how to match it up. I'm thinking the light grounds to the plate mount, plate mount to the frame.?

Just for show and tell, this is what I'm working with.

But I had mine made right side mount. Smiley

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
kenshi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shelton, Washington
Re: Turn Signal, Break Light (Wiring)
Reply #5 - 06/13/09 at 11:10:47

Hiya,
       I bought exactly the same one, and acually, the light chassis is the ground. Works great with just the two wires.

The only problem i had was finding out witch of the wires from the light where LP/running light and brake.
So i temp twisted the brown and the white/black wires till i found which way worked ( the wrong way will be bright the whole time when hitting the brake).
Just make sure the light housing is grounded to the mounting plate (unless the light housing is plastic, in which case you would have to use the ground wire from the harness and solder to the light socket).

If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #6 - 06/13/09 at 11:18:52

kenshi wrote on 06/13/09 at 11:10:47:
Hiya,
       I bought exactly the same one, and acually, the light chassis is the ground. Works great with just the two wires.

The only problem i had was finding out witch of the wires from the light where LP/running light and brake.
So i temp twisted the brown and the white/black wires till i found which way worked ( the wrong way will be bright the whole time when hitting the brake).
Just make sure the light housing is grounded to the mounting plate (unless the light housing is plastic, in which case you would have to use the ground wire from the harness and solder to the light socket).http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5599/img044.th.jpg

Thanks for the input. I am exreamly impressed by the welds on this mount. Great quality product. Yea my light housing is metal so...sweet no grounding issues, good to know.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 06/13/09 at 12:31:28

I have one that looks really close to that mount. Only thing is when I got mine I got it raw so I could have it powder coated. That takes way your grounding abilities. So unless you sand off where it mounts and the back side of the mount as well, your not really going to get a ground. Then by exposing the metal to the elements you'll be asking for rust. Might make things easier to just add a ground wire and run it back, it was there to start with any how.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 06/13/09 at 12:35:39

Savage_Amusement wrote on 06/13/09 at 12:31:28:
I have one that looks really close to that mount. Only thing is when I got mine I got it raw so I could have it powder coated. That takes way your grounding abilities. So unless you sand off where it mounts and the back side of the mount as well, your not really going to get a ground. Then by exposing the metal to the elements you'll be asking for rust. Might make things easier to just add a ground wire and run it back, it was there to start with any how.

Good point. Mine is powder coated already. I was planning on sanding both side just as you suggested and had already concidered the rusting as well. I thought I might just clear coat over the area after installation. I don't mind adding a ground, seems like a better idea anyway. How/what would I want to connect the original ground wire to? The light housing?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 06/13/09 at 12:44:16

Yeah that would work, you could even attach it to something on the inside and run the wire out the hole in the back with the rest of the wires to make it a much cleaner install.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #10 - 06/13/09 at 12:48:51

Savage_Amusement wrote on 06/13/09 at 12:44:16:
Yeah that would work, you could even attach it to something on the inside and run the wire out the hole in the back with the rest of the wires to make it a much cleaner install.

Sounds great, will do, thanks for the input.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 06/13/09 at 12:55:07

No problem. There are also a couple of wires that are close to where the stock signals plug into that make it really easy to run running/turn signals as well.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #12 - 06/13/09 at 13:07:23

Savage_Amusement wrote on 06/13/09 at 12:55:07:
No problem. There are also a couple of wires that are close to where the stock signals plug into that make it really easy to run running/turn signals as well.

Are you talking about "extra" wires or the originals for the signals?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 06/13/09 at 13:13:50

If you tap into one of the orange wires coming from the ignition switch it is one of the run lights. I just ran a wire back that I will tap into later to have run/turn signals on the rear. There are a couple of other wires too, but that one is already close enough. They are in a big green connector that goes to the ignition switch.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #14 - 06/13/09 at 13:15:37

Savage_Amusement wrote on 06/13/09 at 13:13:50:
If you tap into one of the orange wires coming from the ignition switch it is one of the run lights. I just ran a wire back that I will tap into later to have run/turn signals on the rear. There are a couple of other wires too, but that one is already close enough. They are in a big green connector that goes to the ignition switch.

Shocked Woah I can't believe I missed them. I'll look for sure. Thanks.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signal, Break Light (Wiring)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.