skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Magneto Question
06/11/09 at 10:55:26

I have a 2002 Savage. 7600 miles.
I posted a couple of weeks ago about an electrical problem and it seemed that I had a bad battery.
I put a new battery in it Friday and the same thing happened Tuesday morning. We`ve checked the battery and it shows to be bad.

My question is:
                    I can jump the bike off without the battery in it. W Undecidedhen I take the cables off, it will idle fine, but will not take much gas. It starts popping and sputtering. Does this mean that the magneto is bad?? I can hook the cables back up and it will run like a charm. I don`t know much at all how the electrical system works on a bike. Someone please let me know about the magneto. Thanks. G Harper

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Magneto Question
Reply #1 - 06/11/09 at 11:20:13

Not sure of what you meant to say...

You can jump start the bike, w/battery, remove bat and runs like crap.

1st we don't have magneto, we have 3 phase ac generator  Huh
The CDI is known to run like crap w/bad batteries.
Also if the connector to the 3 phase generator is faulty in just one connection, it will run like crap too.

So can you push start w/o a battery? no.

WWW   IP Logged
skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Reply #2 - 06/11/09 at 11:46:09

I haven`t tried to push start it without the battery, but I can jump start it without the battery. When I unhook the jumper cables, it will idle fine, but will not take the gas or as you say, it runs like crap.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 06/11/09 at 11:47:45

It needs the battery installed to regulate the voltage from the generator. It is possible to fry electronics when it isn't there. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/11/09 at 13:38:34

Furthermore, unless you have a known good battery all electrical tests other than simple resistance tests of the alternator coil legs (3 legs) is rendered dubious by association.

Get a known good fully charged battery into your scoot then we can help you with the troubleshooting steps.

You also need to get a Clymer manual to refer to.   We have an on-line manual referenced in the tech section if you can't afford one.

Lastly, a question -- you bought a new battery and it went BAD instantly???  Take that sucker back and get your money back ASAP.   Somebody sold you a stale battery -- Walmart won't even do that to you as their stock inventory program keeps them hand to mouth (fresh) on batteries.

==================

Personally, I buy lead-acid batteries that I put the acid into them my very own self -- that way they stay neutral in storage and don't age any at all until I wet them and charge them just before putting them into service.   I always get maximum service life out of a lead acid battery.

Buying a pre-wet lead acid battery just means I lost some service life unnecessarily.

Exception:  Big Crank gel pack batteries come wet but are a "longer than standard life" battery anyway and Big Crank manages their inventory to assure good customer use life once you get it.   People here on the list only have good things to say about Big Crank gel pack batteries.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Reply #5 - 06/11/09 at 14:08:59

Thanks all. I put the bad battery back in and jump started it. Disconnected the jumper cables and as soon as it warmed up, it ran great, even with the bad battery. The lights are flickering, which leads me to believe the alternator is bad, but I need someone that knows more than me.

IP Logged
skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Reply #6 - 06/11/09 at 14:33:22

OK. I read the clymer manual on no-load performance test. It says to start the engine and let it warm up, then disconnect the 3-pin electrical connector from the voltage regulator and start the engine. I`m still jumping it off. When I disconnect the jumper cables from the bike with the connector disconnected, the bike dies, so I can`t perform the voltage test.

IP Logged
skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Reply #7 - 06/11/09 at 17:26:27

OK all. I have a brand new battery. I`m charging it up. I`ll let you know how everything checks out. Thanks

IP Logged
skeeterhawk1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South East Georgia
Reply #8 - 06/12/09 at 08:58:06

This might help someone in the future.

I put the new battery on charge yesterday afternoon. The last time I checked it last night, had been 6 hrs, and it still was not fully charged.
Note: The other two batteries(a different brand) only took 1 1/2 hrs to charge. One lasted 6 mnth and the other, 4 days.
I put the new battery in this morning and unplugged the connector going to the voltage regulator, and got more than 100 volts at each leg, at 5000 rpm`s. I believe this means that the alternator is good, which I was thinking was bad. I will ride to work for the next 3 days and will give everyone an update. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Magneto Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.