Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front tire question (Read 157 times)
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front tire question
06/11/09 at 10:03:39

Has anybody had the front tire go down when riding? Is it possible to keep the bike up until you can stop it?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Front tire question
Reply #1 - 06/11/09 at 10:20:33

You mean a flat?...
Sure,!... Just try to keep going in a straight line, don't panic,... use the rear brake to slow down gently,... you don't want to transfer to much weight to the front... when you're down to a slow jog, gently steer to the side of the road...  if it resists steering input, don't force it, (wave off vehicles behind you)  stop slowly,  get off and walk it off the road.
Panic,... will get you tossed....

On a different bike, I've ridden several miles on a front flat.... totally shredded it,.. but no crash...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/11/09 at 10:34:45

Serowbot wrote on 06/11/09 at 10:20:33:
On a different bike, I've ridden several miles on a front flat.... totally shredded it,.. but no crash...

Wow  Shocked

Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 06/11/09 at 11:40:53

...since the savage is a "low-speed bike"
I use SLIME in both tires, really works.

This might give you those extra few precious seconds
you need to come to a safe stop in case of trouble or,
even better if get a puncture, it seals itself and allows
you to get home normally and you may not even notice
this till' the next day in you garage, if at all.

(i also carry canned air in my backpack
at all times, self reliance rules!)

www.slime.com
Wink

« Last Edit: 06/12/09 at 14:20:59 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/12/09 at 07:20:36

Does the SLIME effect the inner tube?

I mean does it hurt it? I know that fix-a flat can cause damage to a car tire, so just wondering if SLIME does the same to an inner tube.

TIA

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/12/09 at 08:26:04

Slime has one for tubes and one for tires.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/12/09 at 09:32:48

A flat or blowout on a front tire is less detrimental to the handling of the bike than a rear tire. Judgement made by personal experience. Over my 45 years of riding experience, tires have gotten much better in quality and such mishaps are less common today.
I have had more than one flat on the front, I don't remember exactly how many but the steering simply got very stiff and sluggish.  I would not use the front brake when such occurs, but roll to the side of the road slowing gently with the rear brake.
A blowout on the rear tire causes instant instability and back and forth wobble that is very difficult to control, sometimes impossible. If it happens in a curve, the likelyhood of a crash is very high.
I once rode 25 miles down a mountain in Oregon on a flat fron tire to get to town. I rode at speeds above 60 MPH so that centrifugal force would keep the tire round. NO REAR BRAKE WAS USED. In curves, I would hike my butt as far to the rear as possible and slow in a straight line, then accellerate through the curve to unweight the front wheel.
This was on an SL350 Honda which weighed about the same as a Savage but being a Dual purpose bike had considerabley better handling under the circumstances.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/12/09 at 10:12:57

I've only had one flat while riding,It was on a Suzuki GS1000, my wife was on the back,It was the rear and it started wobbling a lot I thought it was the front because it wobble so much.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 06/12/09 at 12:43:04

Phelonius wrote on 06/12/09 at 09:32:48:
A flat or blowout on a front tire is less detrimental to the handling of the bike than a rear tire. Judgement made by personal experience. Over my 45 years of riding experience, tires have gotten much better in quality and such mishaps are less common today.
I have had more than one flat on the front, I don't remember exactly how many but the steering simply got very stiff and sluggish.  I would not use the front brake when such occurs, but roll to the side of the road slowing gently with the rear brake.
A blowout on the rear tire causes instant instability and back and forth wobble that is very difficult to control, sometimes impossible. If it happens in a curve, the likelyhood of a crash is very high.
I once rode 25 miles down a mountain in Oregon on a flat fron tire to get to town. I rode at speeds above 60 MPH so that centrifugal force would keep the tire round. NO REAR BRAKE WAS USED. In curves, I would hike my butt as far to the rear as possible and slow in a straight line, then accellerate through the curve to unweight the front wheel.
This was on an SL350 Honda which weighed about the same as a Savage but being a Dual purpose bike had considerabley better handling under the circumstances.

Phelonius

Just out of curiosity, have you had a flat on any portion of a sidecar rig (car or bike)?  If so, how was handling affected?
The idea of a blowout on my bike is not a comforting thought.  Had it happen on a bicycle as a kid, and wiped out good.  Of course it was on a gravel road, so that never helps either! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/12/09 at 16:22:46

I have had one flat on the sidecar tire. I ran over a chip of wood with a nail sticking straight up.  I turned around and slowly went back to town. ( about one mile)  The tire was very soft but not yet flat until I pulled the thing out. I did not have a passenger at the time
I weighted to the outside so that very little weight was on the sidecar tire. No serious handling problem. I stopped behind a gas station so that I would have compressed air after patching the tube.

BTW The first post should say NO FRONT BRAKE WAS USED.  My brain was not in gear when I posted the first one.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front tire question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.