Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally no gun shot on shut down (Read 195 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Finally no gun shot on shut down
06/10/09 at 19:22:28

I think I finally properly sealed my muff at the header. I went up from a 160 to a 170 main jet. I get some crackle on hard decel at highway speeds. I get a Poof granny fart on shut down. No more Uncle Buck POW shut downs.Oh yeah!!! Performance is amazing. Sorry Rocco, I am trying to leave the backfire club.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Finally no gun shot on shut down
Reply #1 - 06/10/09 at 22:22:25

I've pretty much lost my pop on shutdown with the new muffler, just a sickly gurgly "pfff".  Now upshifting is a different matter... I'm trying to get to where I can upshift and get it to snap at will.  Well, actually, that's not the hard part, getting it to not snap is taking practice.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/11/09 at 02:51:27

the mikuni tm40 pumper carb rider reports no backfires and i know for sure there is a leak at the muf to pipe attachment point, you can feel it with your hand. might be a tad rich with the needle and adjustment screw but he is happy with the setup.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/09 at 04:14:53

dr1445 wrote on 06/11/09 at 02:51:27:
the mikuni tm40 pumper carb rider reports no backfires and i know for sure there is a leak at the muf to pipe attachment point, you can feel it with your hand. might be a tad rich with the needle and adjustment screw but he is happy with the setup.

How is your performance and gas milage with that pumper? I am curious. Have you been dynod yet?

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/11/09 at 05:42:35

pumper set up. well the savage is not my bike, i just help out wrenching for an elder neighbor. i can state that on my dr650 there was no change in mileage going from the jetted stock cv carb to the tm40 pumper, in fact the pumper was just a couple of mpgs better. i would not make any great hp claims but it would be similar to a vm but with throttle response superior to the vm. there are plenty of details over at the thumper talk>suzuki>dr site, have a look. with the pumper you can run the jetting leaner and allow the pump to provide the extra fuel when required in the mid range area. the same set up with a vm or cv you need to run a little richer to respond quickly. just my opinion.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/09 at 13:53:41

[quote author=2F397A7F7F7E4B0 link=1244686948/0#4 date=1244724155]pumper set up. well the savage is not my bike, i just help out wrenching for an elder neighbor. i can state that on my dr650 there was no change in mileage going from the jetted stock cv carb to the tm40 pumper, in fact the pumper was just a couple of mpgs better. i would not make any great hp claims but it would be similar to a vm but with throttle response superior to the vm. there are plenty of details over at the thumper talk>suzuki>dr site, have a look. with the pumper you can run the jetting leaner and allow the pump to provide the extra fuel when required in the mid range area. the same set up with a vm or cv you need to run a little richer to respond quickly. just my opinion.[/

Hmm.. does not really seem of an improvement. I know that the pumper is used on the dr650. I thought you were vouching for its use on the savage becase you used it lol. With ae UFO, the VM is supposed to add up to 6 more horses. Also increases gas milage by 15% from stock.

h

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/11/09 at 15:50:00

i see most motocross teams are using pumper carbs on 4 stroke singles not vms, not fuel injection, but of course you are entitled to your viewpoint. pay your money and make your choice, easy.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/11/09 at 18:30:19

dr1445 wrote on 06/11/09 at 15:50:00:
i see most motocross teams are using pumper carbs on 4 stroke singles not vms, not fuel injection, but of course you are entitled to your viewpoint. pay your money and make your choice, easy.

Your talking about a racing engine that is built much more than even a modified  savage engine, in which case the pumper likely adds to the instantaneous throttle response.
The VM with a UFO does a great job of making very good throttle response for our engine.  

Typically, a VM that normally runs a pilot jet of 22.5-25.0, will drop down to a #15 pilot with the UFO installed; the power increases significantly, the throttle response jumps and as stated before the fuel economy improves ... and all for $30.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/11/09 at 18:56:07

i got my pumper as harley take off as most hd guys running a 40mm went to a larger pumper. in most applications the vm has past into history. regardless of the state of tune the accelerator pump will give better throttle response in an apples to apples to comparison. if i already had a vm installed i would stick with it, if i was starting from scratch i will take the accelerator pump.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 06/12/09 at 00:11:47

odvelasc wrote on 06/10/09 at 19:22:28:
. Sorry Rocco, I am trying to leave the backfire club.

i totally understand bro, i'm just not ready 2 give up the fun! i went to bike night last night and a harley guy asked me if she was a diesel...what a tool!

he's just mad his doesn't shoot and snort! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #10 - 06/12/09 at 01:50:37

odvelasc wrote on 06/11/09 at 13:53:41:

Hmm.. does not really seem of an improvement. I know that the pumper is used on the dr650. I thought you were vouching for its use on the savage becase you used it lol. With ae UFO, the VM is supposed to add up to 6 more horses. Also increases gas milage by 15% from stock.

h

How much did your top speed and mileage improve with the VM after you got it working well?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/12/09 at 04:09:47

SV og LS wrote on 06/12/09 at 01:50:37:
odvelasc wrote on 06/11/09 at 13:53:41:

h

How much did your top speed and mileage improve with the VM after you got it working well?

I brought it up to 140km/h not problem the other day. I have not really checked gas milage. I am still running the stock petcock on pri until I get another raptor 660 that does not leak. I started bogging down and getting black smoke yesterday. This after 40km of riding with a 170main. I adjusted my air mixture and dialed down the dial a jet to the leanest setting just to be safe. I lost quite a bit of bottom to mid on the leanest setting. I will dial it back to the third setting (she is best there) now that I have adjusted my air mixture. I now have a heavy throttle hand because of the UFO and VM so I am sure mileage is not that great  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally no gun shot on shut down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.