Send Topic Print
Grease zerks??? (Read 131 times)
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grease zerks???
06/10/09 at 04:54:14

Just poking around my new 07 S40, and I see no obvious grease zerks for the steering head nor for the swingarm. Is this correct, or am I just not looking hard enough. I hate to think that for lack of a 10 cent fitting I will someday need to disassemble the bearings just to lube them.

thanks,

paul

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Grease zerks???
Reply #1 - 06/10/09 at 05:48:13

I guess a guy could drill & tap a spot while he had it apart, cleaning & lubing the parts in question. But, you are right, no zerks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 05:58:24

I've never had to split the head bearings on anything to want to change them.
I do head bearings all the time including 2-3 just this week. I am doing a katana FE swap on a GS, a dirt bike front end on the savage, and so on and last month I swapped the SV's ball type to tapered roller ... usually they seal it tight from the weather, put water proof grease in the bearings @ the factroy (except the new crop of sport bikes with the idiotic ball type beairngs - no grease and crappy crappy crappy bearings) ...
The bearings in there are sealed from weather as long as the dust seals top and bottom are intact. the grease is on them and not going anywhere ... you'd never have to replace them unless you're swapping stems or have had it get damaged in a crash.
Even so, swingarm bearings are much much rarer to swap. I have done 2 so far in my life ... one was on the rat savage 2 years ago, and other was on a GS, and I made a mistake on it and ruined it to start with.
There is a funny story about that though ... I shattered that thing in my driveway and the pins lay on the driveway/yard for months.
then I open this seca 600 carb and find that I have had to destroy a float pin to get it out - better than destroying a float pin post I say ... and find out the GS500 swingarm bearing needles are exactly the right sixe length and dia for the seca float pin.
Anywya, just keep the dust seals intact and they last forever. I have pulled FE's off bikes lying face down in the dirt @ junkyards for years to find semi useable stem bearings. The dust seals work ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 06/12/09 at 13:37:56

Replying to my own post here ...
But fiddling wiht stems a lot of late, this just struck me.
The one small factor that would put the savage at greater risk of weather exposure to the bearings in the steering neck - That steering lock is a hole cut into the stem. As you running down the road the stem takes in a wee bit of weather, and it is at high velocity, abd it can get crammed in that hole, which can then eventually affect the bearing, especially if you ride a lot ub rain, or have humid weather.

The solution is  to clean the stem with a sort of bottle brish, get some wd 40 on it etc, and then plug the bottom of that stem with an appropriately sized rubber stopper. Available @ lowes.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 06/12/09 at 19:25:55

Steering neck bearings don't get much abuse   Huh

Think about it..... they are fairly nice bearings.  They get  maybe an inch of travel in each direction.    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/12/09 at 22:13:39

& every vibration passing up from the front tire into the frame passes thru them. Every brake application presses them into the race, etc, etc,
as long as they are set right, then theres only a change in pressure & no impact.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grease zerks???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.