Send Topic Print
Flooded Bike (Read 206 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Flooded Bike
06/10/09 at 00:17:14

Is it possible to flood your bike while trying to start it?

I've never done it before,but I thought that's what I did today!

I actually smelled gas, looked down and saw gas coming out on the left side,somewhere,not sure exactly where it was coming from!
So I shut the bike off....I had tried to start it several times when I saw the gas.Seems like the gas was squirting out from somewhere.

This is new to me....can anyone give me any info on this.
I left it sitting,thought maybe if I left it alone it might be better,not sure though what to do.

Oh yeah,and I did searches here for quite some time and still am not sure what happened.

The only thing I had done to my bike prior to this, was to put in a new battery and clean the bike.I do remember cleaning the throttle grip and turning it some,but didnt think that would do anything.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Flooded Bike
Reply #1 - 06/10/09 at 00:43:00

I did try to see where the gas was coming from.....not sure.
I took out the air filter....it smells like gas ,but just a little.Not sure if thats totally abnormal or not!

I tried to empty the fuel bowl,(is that what its called)and couldnt get the darn screw out,rusted! Sprayed it with wd40 and hoping it will soak loose overnight.

Checked lines going to the carb...didnt see any loose!

I'm lost on this....as most people are that dont normally work on their bikes...but,I gotta try to fix it and save the money of someone else doing it....I'm also that determined to do it myselfSmiley

I have tools and common sense,just havent learned enough yet,no problems like this til now.But I guess this is when you learn.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 04:24:09

Is your petcock (the fuel switch just under the left side of the tank) on PRI? If so, that will flood your bike. I am presuming that your gas is coming out the sides of your carb. That means you are over flowing with gas. Maybe check your float level. But for sure check the PRI thing. Also, check your oil level. Your oil should be between the two lines, if it is above your are flooding for sure and need to do an oil filter and oil change. Check the tech section. There is a link to the clymer service manual. Good luck.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 06/10/09 at 09:39:58

The petcock is on "On"...not Pri. But I actually thought Pri might be better if flooded!? No?

I have a clymers manual.

Will check the oil today....would have already,but its kinda hard to do by yourself Smiley

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #4 - 06/10/09 at 12:02:12

I had the same problem. The fuel was coming from the two (vent?) hoses that go horizontally back from the carb under the seat. (Top tip is to make sure that when you position those hoses NEVER point them in a direction that would be a major problem if gas spurts out, ie into the air filter)

The problem on mine was a stuck valve in the carb. The floats in the carb bowl were not rising to shut off the float needle. (excuse terminology if wrong) Its happened twice now, both times after the bike had sat for a while.

I stripped the carb to fix it, but if it happened again I would disconnect the gas from the carb, drain the bowl. Then I'd squirt some gas from a squeezy bottle into the drain hole at max force and see if I could knock the floats free  Wink

Re petcock - PRI lets gas drain via gravity into the carb, until the floats rise to stop the flow.

Other two positions rely on suction, so if motor isn't turning then gas supply is shut off at the petcock.

Leaving the petcock on PRI should not flood your bike, unless the floats aren't working.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 06/10/09 at 12:54:30

I thought that's what I read somewhere,to set to Pri,to see if the floats were stuck &/or to check the petcock?

I'll have to go back and read it again.

I got the screw out and drained the fuel bowl.
Checked and No smell of gas in the oil.

Will continue to see if I can find whats going on.

My last day off work....I wanted to ride....now I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with it instead  Sad

Thanks for all help and suggestions!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 06/10/09 at 13:18:09

Hey!! I got it started!

I set it to PRI for a couple of minutes,then set it back to ON waited a few minutes,tapped the carb lightly with a screwdriver and it started.No choke on.

But,I smell gas Huh Stronger than normal.

Didnt see any leaks like before,felt around and only gas I saw was a drop or two from the carb bowl tip.I tightened it a tad more.

I wouldnt worry about it really,except I ride alone and if I broke down the only MC buddy I have works 2nd shift.

Any reason why I would be smelling gas so strong? Could it be just because of setting to PRI? Too much gas?

Oh well,at least its running!!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/10/09 at 19:15:48

FreeSpirit wrote on 06/10/09 at 13:18:09:
Hey!! I got it started!

I set it to PRI for a couple of minutes,then set it back to ON waited a few minutes,tapped the carb lightly with a screwdriver and it started.No choke on.

Didnt see any leaks like before,felt around and only gas I saw was a drop or two from the carb bowl tip.I tightened it a tad more.

I wouldnt worry about it really,except I ride alone and if I broke down the only MC buddy I have works 2nd shift.

Any reason why I would be smelling gas so strong? Could it be just because of setting to PRI? Too much gas?

Might be time for a new float bowl gasket. I forgot to put mine back in once and I was pissing gas out the carb where it connects to the bowl lol.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 06/10/09 at 19:56:56

odvelasc wrote on 06/10/09 at 19:15:48:
FreeSpirit wrote on 06/10/09 at 13:18:09:
Hey!! I got it started!

Might be time for a new float bowl gasket. I forgot to put mine back in once and I was pissing gas out the carb where it connects to the bowl lol.

I rode for about 45 min locally, didnt smell gas any more! But I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 06/12/09 at 19:40:07

Roll the bike out into the sunlight???

If so, the sun will warm up the tank, the gas will expand and vent out the fuel cap.    

My bike is black.  Happens all the time.  It even hisses at me when I move the bike around after it sat in the sun for a while.......  I guess it wants to be ridden.....  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 06/15/09 at 01:55:27

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/12/09 at 19:40:07:
Roll the bike out into the sunlight???

If so, the sun will warm up the tank, the gas will expand and vent out the fuel cap.    

My bike is black.  Happens all the time.  It even hisses at me when I move the bike around after it sat in the sun for a while.......  I guess it wants to be ridden.....  Wink

Yes...it definitely wants to be ridden!!  And for me to learn all these tips.

I'm glad You guys are so smart.I can search so much info here and find alot of/most answers. It is alot of fun! (Especially when you can find the right answers and keep your bike running!  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:08:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooded Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.