Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is it that hurts most bikers that do get hurt (Read 580 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: What is it that hurts most bikers that do get
Reply #15 - 06/15/09 at 10:14:42

You could leave your bike at a friends 15 miles from home and always ride from there.It might be safer that way. Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #16 - 06/15/09 at 10:21:10

Now you're talkin'. Slap on a Ma-Deuce and connect it to the horn button.
It's a hell of a way to say "Excuse Me!". lmao

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 06/15/09 at 12:41:42

The comments about most crashes happening close to home and on short rides is undoubtedly true. Left unmentioned is that most riding is on short rides and close to home. That is also true for other vehicles. Few people go on long drives every day. Most driving is to the local store, or to the job, or to school. Few trips exceed a few miles, or an hour. If crashes occur more or less evenly, then it is to be expected that most of them happen close to home.

I agree that the MSF course is not especially good. I suspect that many who take it do so in order to avoid having to take the driving test at the Department of Motor Vehicles rather than because they expect to learn anything useful. At least one article has claimed that, after six months or so, the crash rate for MSF-trained riders pretty much equals the rate for self-trained riders. It is unclear whether the untrained manage to learn the needed skills, the MSF riders become overconfident, or some other factor is at work. The Hurt Report did mention the lack of counter-steering skills among the unschooled as a major factor, and that is a skill that some on this Forum seem to deride as well. Both countersteering and proper brake usage are at least mentioned by the MSF, and the MSF does not teach the ineffective technique of "laying it down."

There was mention that in most crashes the motorcyclist has no more than a couple of seconds to react. However, no mention was made that the drivers of cars have similar amounts of time. Auto drivers have a simpler problem in one sense, because a mistake in steering or braking doesn't make cars fall down. Motorcyclists, most of whom spend a lot more time behind the wheel than astride the bike, have to avoid the "stomp the brake" reaction automatic to cars and trucks. The time required to remember proper braking may well exceed the time available before the crash, especially if the rider has already locked up the rear brake.

Any study of crashes has an unavoidable bias built in. That is because the study does not - and cannot - look at non-crashes. Nor can it study minor unreported crashes in which the rider picks up the bike and continues on the trip. Thus the study cannot examine those behaviors which did not result in a crash. If successful methods cannot be compared to unsuccessful ones it isn't easy to draw conclusions.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #18 - 06/15/09 at 13:17:56

Charon wrote on 06/15/09 at 12:41:42:
I agree that the MSF course is not especially good. I suspect that many who take it do so in order to avoid having to take the driving test at the Department of Motor Vehicles rather than because they expect to learn anything useful. At least one article has claimed that, after six months or so, the crash rate for MSF-trained riders pretty much equals the rate for self-trained riders. It is unclear whether the untrained manage to learn the needed skills, the MSF riders become overconfident, or some other factor is at work. The Hurt Report did mention the lack of counter-steering skills among the unschooled as a major factor, and that is a skill that some on this Forum seem to deride as well. Both countersteering and proper brake usage are at least mentioned by the MSF, and the MSF does not teach the ineffective technique of "laying it down."

I passed the MSF Experienced Rider Course Saturday.  Here's what I wrote about it.  There was no mention of countersteering either by the Rider Coaches nor in the book.  To the contrary, we were told to press the handlebar down in the direction of the intended turn rather than correct and effective countersteering to push it forward...push right to turn right, etc.  They didn't teach the best rear braking technique, either.  One should come off the rear brake progressively as the bike slows and more weight is transferred to the front--essential to avoid locking up the rear, skidding, and the likelihood of a low side crash.  

Most of the students in the ERC needed the card for motorcycle access to the nearby military facilities.  One needed it for their license, and I wanted the knowledge and coached practice.

Trick question---what's the easiest way to "lay 'er down?"  Lock the rear brake, of course.  Laying it down in front of an imminent crash has one simple result.  You hit the object going faster than if you'd stayed rubber-side-down.  Steel, plastic, leather, and flesh slide easier on pavement than rubber does.  The force of the impact varies the square of the speed.   If you could stay upright and brake down to, say, 5 mph before you crash vs. laying it down and skidding into the object at, say, 20 mph, you hit at 1/4 of the speed and 1/16th of the force (hit 16 times harder at 20 mph vs 5 mph).

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/15/09 at 13:25:32

AngloSaxon wrote on 06/15/09 at 10:21:10:
Now you're talkin'. Slap on a Ma-Deuce and connect it to the horn button.
It's a hell of a way to say "Excuse Me!". lmao

You mean like this?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/15/09 at 20:33:12

I can appreciate the report section about dirt bike riders being under represented in accidents.

I’ve ridden motocrossers for years and still get out on my YZ250. (just went two weekends ago and got stuck in quicksand in Southern Missouri…who knew? Quicksand…really?) Anyway, I was cruising down Manchester a few weeks ago and some clown pulls out in front of me and before I knew it, I had popped up on the pegs, covered the clutch and brake and ………..did nothing. I waited while he slowly drifted back to where he should have been and then I got past him quickly. I didn’t slam on the brakes and get crushed from behind or swerve into another lane causing havoc.

I don’t think that is teachable in a class. I think I brought that over from racing. I think all of us pick up defensive riding skills in our own individual ways over time. I had not ridden street bikes for a long time until I started up again last year. My wife said she instantly could tell when driving in cars with me. She says I scan ahead and behind constantly and am hyper alert at intersections. Having said all that, anything could happen at any time.  You can lessen the odds, but you can’t eliminate them.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #21 - 06/16/09 at 07:06:43

PTRider wrote on 06/15/09 at 13:17:56:
Charon wrote on 06/15/09 at 12:41:42:

I passed the MSF Experienced Rider Course Saturday.  Here's what I wrote about it.  There was no mention of countersteering either by the Rider Coaches nor in the book.  To the contrary, we were told to press the handlebar down in the direction of the intended turn rather than correct and effective countersteering to push it forward...push right to turn right, etc.  They didn't teach the best rear braking technique, either.  One should come off the rear brake progressively as the bike slows and more weight is transferred to the front--essential to avoid locking up the rear, skidding, and the likelihood of a low side crash.  

Most of the students in the ERC needed the card for motorcycle access to the nearby military facilities.  One needed it for their license, and I wanted the knowledge and coached practice.

Trick question---what's the easiest way to "lay 'er down?"  Lock the rear brake, of course.  Laying it down in front of an imminent crash has one simple result.  You hit the object going faster than if you'd stayed rubber-side-down.  Steel, plastic, leather, and flesh slide easier on pavement than rubber does.  The force of the impact varies the square of the speed.   If you could stay upright and brake down to, say, 5 mph before you crash vs. laying it down and skidding into the object at, say, 20 mph, you hit at 1/4 of the speed and 1/16th of the force (hit 16 times harder at 20 mph vs 5 mph).

The MSF course I took actually covered a lot of this stuff pretty well.  The very strongly recommended NOT laying the bike down, for the above mentioned reasons.  You lose braking power, and what little control you have in a panic stop.

They also covered countersteer very well, in the classroom, and obstacle course.  They laid out a section of the course to mock-up having to swerve around a stopped vehicle; had to wait til you pass the first cone to start the swerve, and go outside the second set either to the left or right, set at the width of a truck.  You wouln't know if you were going left or right until you got right there, and they'd yell either one.  That way you can't think too far ahead.  Good countersteer practice I thought.

Oh, and in honer of Phelonius' excellent "attention getter", I dug up a new avatar dude. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 06/16/09 at 07:58:32

I wonder how the guys 100 years ago learned how to ride a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #23 - 06/16/09 at 08:15:32

By the seat of their pants...which were often torn and shreaded and wet with blood from road rash.

Phelonius, that is AWESOME!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 06/16/09 at 08:56:48

Same way I learned,But I had a lot better bike to learn on,No blood or road rash.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/16/09 at 09:29:37

Starlifter wrote on 06/16/09 at 08:15:32:
By the seat of their pants...which were often torn and shreaded and wet with blood from road rash.

Phelonius, that is AWESOME!

I know, but I had to sell it about 4 years ago to cover the cost of moving back home. You cannot believe how polite other drivers were when I took that thing out for a ride. No one ever left turned in front of me, no one ever tailgated me, no one ever crowded my lane. And when I come to a four way stop, even if they have the right of way, they smile, wave and motion me on through ahead of them.
Young girls loved it cause they didn't have to look at the back of my neck, they had their own supply of bugs to eat, and there has never been a better design of vehicle for drive by shootings.
It was once visited by more than 30 police officers in one day though.
BTW It offered a fun response to barking chasing dogs.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #26 - 06/16/09 at 14:53:46

Felonius???????????????Can I get that from J.C.Whitney?

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #27 - 06/16/09 at 20:05:45

bill67 wrote on 06/16/09 at 07:58:32:
  I wonder how the guys 100 years ago learned how to ride a motorcycle.

In 1935 Lt. Col. T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) died on a motorcycle in a failed swerve attempt.

He's pictured here on a Brough Superior SS100.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #28 - 06/16/09 at 23:29:10

"What is it that hurts most bikers that do get hurt"?

the dang ground

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #29 - 06/19/09 at 04:15:41

I took the msf course I wanted to learn from those that ride the right way and safe. At work there are self taught riders, been riding for years {there own words} come to work with there big bikes, flip flops, shorts, skull cap no gloves. Last year one of them took a corner a kid ran in front he hit the brakes went flying never knew he had to get the bike back up straight before braking. He was lost alot of skin sliding. Now he wears the right clothes and he took the MSF course.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is it that hurts most bikers that do get hurt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.